Rum Runners??

Has anyone tried wearing rumrunners under your clothing and walking on board with them? We are going on our first cruise in July and after spending 8,000 I really don’t want a huge bar bill. My idea is to wear loose clothing while wearing a one piece swim suit underneath and stuffing the rumrunners in my swim suit. I will look a little fat but who cares! Any thoughts or advice is welcome!!

In these times of increased national/travel security, I personally try to hide as little contraband on my person as possible. An easier, and cheaper (when compared to bar prices) option might be to order a couple bottles of your fav hooch from BV.

Has anyone tried wearing rumrunners under your clothing and walking on board with them? We are going on our first cruise in July and after spending 8,000 I really don’t want a huge bar bill. My idea is to wear loose clothing while wearing a one piece swim suit underneath and stuffing the rumrunners in my swim suit. I will look a little fat but who cares! Any thoughts or advice is welcome!!

Well, you can if you are a woman attempting the bra route arriving as a 44DD and debarking as a 34A LOL! They don't call them padded bras for nothing.

It has been done. Smaller RRs (8 oz) do fit in deep pockets of cargo shorts. Large ones will stand out as odd shaped under clothing. You might try loose clothing but be sure it's loose over the larger size swim suit needed too. If I were you, I'd try this out at home to make sure you can even move and sit down comfortably in th eget-up. And as always, be prepared to lose your RRs if discovered, as with any smuggled item.

If flying in to port the day before, bring the empty RRs with you in your checked air luggage and buy your booze before getting on the ship.

boxed wine is basically the same as the rum runner (instead the box) and I've put it in the suitcase and it's never been detected.

By your sig I see you have not travelled on Carnival in the past year since they've changed the rules about bringing even bottled water in checked luggage. Yes, boxed wine is okay, but you have to carry it on with you or it gets confiscated. In checked luggage, unopened and you'll get it back when you debark; opened and they'll toss it.

Crewsweeper....You mentioned that Box Wine is ok as a carryon item. I was afraid that would not be allowed, because in the Cruise Contract, it says that each person is allowed to bring one 750 ML bottle of wine each. Since most box wine are 3 L, I didn't think they will allow them. Does a box of wine count as 2 bottles, if so, I may go get a box of wine today and bring it instead of the bottle I have already bought.

Thanks! I hope I get a reply today, cause we are leaving bright and early tomorrow for New Orleans!

Crewsweeper....You mentioned that Box Wine is ok as a carryon item. I was afraid that would not be allowed, because in the Cruise Contract, it says that each person is allowed to bring one 750 ML bottle of wine each. Since most box wine are 3 L, I didn't think they will allow them. Does a box of wine count as 2 bottles, if so, I may go get a box of wine today and bring it instead of the bottle I have already bought.

Thanks! I hope I get a reply today, cause we are leaving bright and early tomorrow for New Orleans!

UMBeach...Publix ( at least the larger ones around here) has several boxed wines that are in either in 1L or 1.5L boxes. I think that'll count as 2 bottles. I know I've seen French Rabbit and I think Wine Cube. But if you've got your wine in a bottle already, no need to rush out.

Have a great cruise and a safe drive down I-10.

Great post:D

I really don't have anything to say, I just wanted to make sure I participated on all smuggling threads.

My husband always boards wearing baggy cargo shorts and puts the small rum runners in them. He and I both carry on a bottle of Aquafina in our hands filled with rum. Then we stash more in different places in our luggage. My husband always sticks rum runners inside his dress shoes in his luggage. He swears that is hard to detect with the scanners. The idea is to diversify so that if we get caught, we will not lose all. We have done this with all our cruises, and have never been caught. Of course, we have never brought on to the ship a bottle of liquor in its original container, except a few 1 oz sample sizes thrown in my cosmetics.

Ball caps must be a popular place to hide the smaller Rum-Runners. Port Security asked my fiance to take off his Indiana Pacers hat and scrutinized it as well as everyone elses hat in our immediate area. They shook it out and turned it inside out. The funny thing is that our carry on bag sailed right through without us even having to open it up.

BTW, A set of 3 smaller rum runners can be purchased at the Spencer's gifts for $11.99. These stores are popular in a lot of the bigger malls around the US.

How do you know that? We don't reveal our occupations!;)

LOL, actually Tim I wasn't speaking of real preachers, but the members that always show up on threads on this topic to "preach" to everyone else about the evils of smuggling booze onto the ships.

If you build it (a smuggling thread), they (the anti-smugglers) will come.

LOL, actually Tim I wasn't speaking of real preachers, but the members that always show up on threads on this topic to "preach" to everyone else about the evils of smuggling booze onto the ships.

If you build it (a smuggling thread), they (the anti-smugglers) will come.

Thanks, I got that, hence my ;) :D:D:D

Trying to add some humour.

We have had our rum runners for 5 years and not used them - I think it is time they came out to play.

Love the idea of the cargo pants and big pockets

When we boarded in Miami they even took our 500ml coca cola off us and my small bottle of unopened water from my hand bag - that was the port and not the ship security.

We may or may not ;) have gotten away with rum runners in our checked bags...in the same suitcases that they DID confiscate a bottle of wine from. The RR may or may not have been inside the lining of the suitcase, tucked behind makeup to "mask" the cap.

And, my friend may have accidentally attempted to carry on a bottle of "water" which port security made her open so they could smell it. :rolleyes:

We did consider putting the RR under our swimsuits, with a cover-up...but it was terribly uncomfortable, and hard to hide the extra "fluff". :p

Point being...if you are creative, and diversify...chances are you will get at least SOME of your goods onboard.

Good luck! :)

Thank you all for your replies!!! This is our first cruise and we are taking our 4 teenagers and I'm sure we will spend most of what money we have on them! We have already booked the Dolphin Trainer in Cozumel and plan on doing the beach party thing in Jamaica and swimming with sting rays in Cayman Islands! Any thoughts on these excursions would also be helpful :)

• 1 year later...

Checked baggage is less of a hassle. We never had an issue with rumrunners in checked baggage.

Archived