Non Rocky Beach in Cozumel

shellgoodman

My family which includes 2 girls ages 13 and 11 would like to go to a beach with no rocks and nice sand. Is there such a place in Cozumel?

Been to Paradise Beach twice which once was ok and the other time disgusting due to the dirt and seaweed churned up. We had asked the conditions beforehand and they told us it was good, took our money and we ended up cleaning mud out of our bathing suits forever. My bathing suit was ruined so thus no need to go back there.

We don't care about the water sports at this point. Just sand, drinks, food and calm seas would be nice.

Sorry your last trip to PB wasn't as pleasant as you expected. Conditions of the water can change depending on weather and other influences. Most likely if PB was murky all other beaches along the western side were murky too.

I happen to like Playa Palancar for a quieter beach. Sits on a nice sand dune. Alberto's is also a nice choice for a quiet beach with just sand. You can get a good sense of which beach or beaches might best fit what you and your DDs want by looking at the pictures and write ups on either or both of these two links.

http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/BEACHES

If it was that way at PB when you visited, then all of the beaches along that side were likely affected by the same issue.

We enjoyed Nachi Cocom last month - very quiet and relaxing, nice beach, good pool, good food and drinks and great service. :D

Good luck! :)

We went on our Cruise last month and loved Playa Palancar wish we had more time there.:rolleyes: Me ( 38 ) My DD (43) I recomend water shoes to any of the beaches in Cozumel. Also I was a first timer snorkeler :confused: and the boat that goes out of Palancar was perfect I had soooo much fun. :D We also had a bite to eat their guacamole is awesome before heading to downtown for shopping

1735741032_Cruise138.jpg.0e704aa1de08bb0323c29fc1df504721.jpg

Crewsweeper~ Can you tell me about Playa Palancar? I have followed some of your recomendations in past cruises and you seem to be spot on! We have been to PB and Mr.Sanchos and we would like to maybe try something different. What besides no pool,and water toys is Playa Palancar? I know you said quiet but which beach in Coz do you prefer and why? We decieded against Mr.Sanchos because we do not want to do AI and the facility is limited for non AI guests. I have not been to PB since they put the big pool in but I know it gets really crowded. Any info would be great!! Thanks!

ssca...We actually like wandering up the east side more than lying on the beaches on the west side. Playa Bonita, Chen Rio (where you can swim if it's not too rough, or Punta Morena are all the type of beaches we like because they're not crowded and more conducive to walking along the beach watching the swells or sitting on a rock. PB and CR have good fresh seafood too.

But Playa Palancar is also a relatively less visited beach and they do have loungers but unless things have changed no water toys. It's got that laid back vibe to it. You can hire a snorkel boat out to the reef from the dive shop there. for food they have good guac and a garlic fish dish that requires a pack of tic tacs in your beach bag:D

We go to Palancar every time we are in Coz-a $20 taxi ride each way from the Puerta Maya pier. Laid back, uncrowded, chairs and lots of tables with shade. There is no entry fee or charges that I'm aware of but they probably expect you to at least eat or drink something. The food and drinks are great (try the mango margaritas and fish tacos). We were there just 3 weeks ago and are returning in 2 more weeks. They will want to take your picture when you enter but you are under no obligation to buy it and the only person who approached us other than our waiter was someone asking if we wanted a massage. I usually don't even like to tell people about Palancar because it is so nice and quiet and I hope it stays that way.:D

We go to Palancar every time we are in Coz-a $20 taxi ride each way from the Puerta Maya pier. Laid back, uncrowded, chairs and lots of tables with shade. There is no entry fee or charges that I'm aware of but they probably expect you to at least eat or drink something. The food and drinks are great (try the mango margaritas and fish tacos). We were there just 3 weeks ago and are returning in 2 more weeks. They will want to take your picture when you enter but you are under no obligation to buy it and the only person who approached us other than our waiter was someone asking if we wanted a massage. I usually don't even like to tell people about Palancar because it is so nice and quiet and I hope it stays that way.:D

We also love Playa Palancar and feel like traitors for trying other beach clubs in advance of a trip with the grandkids. Nachi did not impress us since the food and service at Palancar was so much better. We also usually only spend about $75.00 + tip total at Playa Palancar for what we paid $98.00 + tip at Nachi. Ocean Resort was a total bust, we don't like the crowds at Paradise and Playa Mia so we will do Mr. Sanchos in a few weeks. We haven't been there in several years and if it is not great then we're going to head back to Playa Palancar in August when we cruise with our son and his family.

Do have any photos you can post? I read you can rent mats and stuff there. We will be in Coz in June there are 5 of us 3 kids in there 20s do they have any music or is it just a quiet beach?

Sorry, no photos. I usually remember the camera is in the safe when I am sitting on the beach. Don't remember about the music because I always bring my Ipod and a book. They will provide you with the cushions for the wooden loungers, but you have to ask for them. You can rent the swim mats at the dive shop where you can also arrange snorkle trips and rent the gear. They also offer massages.

I'm curious. Why? We were considering for our next visit in Sept.

Mike

I hate to rehash this but we were there in January on a day with maybe 4 couples. The weather was perfect. We prebooked the AI through Cozumel Water Sports. It seemed to be off to a good start when they met us at the entrance. They said the buffet would not be open due to lack of people but they would bring us some of each at lunchtime. Well, we were given 1 plate of food and 1 set of silverware for both of us. He said we could have more later. Snorkeling and kayaks was also supposed to be included but we were told we would have to pay for them.

Our troubles really began when a bunch of bikers showed up and our waiter took to negotiating with them. We were on the front row closest to the water yet the waiter dragged chairs from the rows behind and put this foul mouthed group directly in front of us - with barely room to walk between the back of their chairs and the front of ours. He gave them the AI package, snorkeling and kayaking for $15.00 less per person than we paid. And, they magically opened the buffet for them but the waiter did not tell us. Then some of the bikers moved up to the pool and our waiter went with them. He didn't come back to wait on us. We didn't see him again until he saw us leaving and came looking for a tip. We never got any more food and when I walked up to the bar to get drinks for us since we had no waiter the bartender was surly and wouldn't give me the drinks for myself and DH. He wanted to know the serial number on my husbands bracelet. We left much earlier than planned and ended up eating at Panchos Backyard on the pier. Others who were there that day had great service from their waiter but watched what was happening to us.

We notified Cozumel Water Sports and they investigated and refunded us the deposit we paid to them.

Also, the beach is rocky in front so you have to walk next door to Carlos n Charlies to get in the water. We have just had so many better experiences at other beach clubs on the island that we won't return to Ocean Resort. Our favorite is still Playa Palancar - best food and service and a nice sandy beach.

I do not fault Cozumel Water Sports at all. In fact I didn't request, nor want a refund, yet they gave it to us anyway. I would not hesitate to book something else through them, just not Ocean Resort.

Do have any photos you can post? I read you can rent mats and stuff there. We will be in Coz in June there are 5 of us 3 kids in there 20s do they have any music or is it just a quiet beach?

I don't think there is any music that I can remember. I have tried uploading photos from my last visit a few weeks ago but I'm having trouble and they won't load...will keep trying. If you just want a beautiful, laid back beach without crowds and tons of people bothering you, this is your place. You can rent snorkeling equipment but we always just relax. They also have curved, plastic loungers that you can take in the water with you.

@DebJ14 Thanks for the details. Sorry to make you re-has the experience again. We were looking for a change of pace, perhaps a new spot for our next visit. Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks! Where is that beach in your photo above your cruises listed?

The photo with the lounge chair is Palancar. I haven't looked at my public profile in a while and forgot it was there. I've been trying to add the cruise I took 3 weeks ago to my CC profile but can't figure it out:confused:-does anyone know how to do this?

The photo with the lounge chair is Palancar. I haven't looked at my public profile in a while and forgot it was there. I've been trying to add the cruise I took 3 weeks ago to my CC profile but can't figure it out:confused:-does anyone know how to do this?

I answered my own question and figured out how to update my profile :D

See if this link will take you to a few photos of Palancar taken last month.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150179113139635.307957.606454634

no it wont work for me. Thats ok the lounge chair looks great!! We will be there in June also on the Triumph so any other info you can give me would be great!

Will your Triumph cruise be your first ever cruise or just the first on the Triumph?

No just first on the Triumph. We were on the Dream last year, the Valor the year before and have done several on RCCL and one on Hal.

Until my cruise last month on the Triumph, I'd only been on Fantasy class ships-the Fantasy and the Elation. The Triumph is definitely a fancier, "nicer" boat although I still love the Fantasy ships. The Triumph seemed a lot more crowded with longer lines to wait for the Lido dining room and fewer empty chairs to be found on deck for sun bathing and sitting around the pool. The giant screen TV on the Lido deck was kind of cool even though I swore I wasn't going to like it-they showed concerts, movies, etc. Our room on the Lido deck was nice and since we were near the front of the ship, we had easy access to the door that goes out to the small deck on Lido-never crowded out there. All the dining was inside-Fantasy class have outside dining which gets a little windy at times but is enjoyable. If you've never cruised from NOLA you will like it. Parking is a breeze and a very nice port to sail from. And the first 7-8 hours you are cruising down the Mississippi River and I've always loved that part of the trip. I think you will enjoy the Triumph. I'll be back on the Elation in just 20 days from Mobile and it will be fun to compare these two ships.

Until my cruise last month on the Triumph, I'd only been on Fantasy class ships-the Fantasy and the Elation. The Triumph is definitely a fancier, "nicer" boat although I still love the Fantasy ships. The Triumph seemed a lot more crowded with longer lines to wait for the Lido dining room and fewer empty chairs to be found on deck for sun bathing and sitting around the pool. The giant screen TV on the Lido deck was kind of cool even though I swore I wasn't going to like it-they showed concerts, movies, etc. Our room on the Lido deck was nice and since we were near the front of the ship, we had easy access to the door that goes out to the small deck on Lido-never crowded out there. All the dining was inside-Fantasy class have outside dining which gets a little windy at times but is enjoyable. If you've never cruised from NOLA you will like it. Parking is a breeze and a very nice port to sail from. And the first 7-8 hours you are cruising down the Mississippi River and I've always loved that part of the trip. I think you will enjoy the Triumph. I'll be back on the Elation in just 20 days from Mobile and it will be fun to compare these two ships.

Well I am hoping it will be more like the Valor than the Dream. We didn't care for the Dream it is a beautiful ship but just to many staterooms for the size of the common areas. The lines seem long on all ships during peek times. We always get an aft cabin so another reason we didn't like the dream there was a full deck below us. We have never cruised out of NOLA looking forward to that! We are flying in the day before and will be hanging out somewhere on Bourbon St at midnight to celebrate my sons 21st birthday.Cruising down the Mississippi sound really neat. Does that mean you are not out of the us waters that night? I am currious if your cell phone will work during that time. Since it is my sons birthday I know he will be getting a ton of text messages and I want to find out when he will need to turn off his phone.

I found a website for Playa Planacar and emailed them and they suggested we rent a car because the taxi for 5 will be $25 each way. I don't think that will be a good idea feel safer taking a taxi but I will check it out and see our options. We went to Mr.Sanchos last year and Paradise Beach there year before so I want to try something different. You said you are going to Mr.Sanchos on your next cruise? What did you do in Belieze? We have done cave tubbing and not sure what we will do this year. Thanks so much for your info!!! Sue

Well I am hoping it will be more like the Valor than the Dream. We didn't care for the Dream it is a beautiful ship but just to many staterooms for the size of the common areas. The lines seem long on all ships during peek times. We always get an aft cabin so another reason we didn't like the dream there was a full deck below us. We have never cruised out of NOLA looking forward to that! We are flying in the day before and will be hanging out somewhere on Bourbon St at midnight to celebrate my sons 21st birthday.Cruising down the Mississippi sound really neat. Does that mean you are not out of the us waters that night? I am currious if your cell phone will work during that time. Since it is my sons birthday I know he will be getting a ton of text messages and I want to find out when he will need to turn off his phone.

I found a website for Playa Planacar and emailed them and they suggested we rent a car because the taxi for 5 will be $25 each way. I don't think that will be a good idea feel safer taking a taxi but I will check it out and see our options. We went to Mr.Sanchos last year and Paradise Beach there year before so I want to try something different. You said you are going to Mr.Sanchos on your next cruise? What did you do in Belieze? We have done cave tubbing and not sure what we will do this year. Thanks so much for your info!!! Sue

Your cell phones should work until you are out of the Mississippi-probably around midnight if you are on schedule. Check out this guide to what you will see as you cruise down the river. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1211622&highlight=river

On some cruises there have been people on the banks of the river cheering us and lighting fireworks. You will see lot of ships on the river and once it gets dark, a ton of red, green and white navigation lights-I always enjoy the river part of the cruise. On the return trip you will get back to the river before it gets totally dark and sometimes we've seen dolphins swimming along side. I haven't been to Belieze-must have been one of the other posters. A taxi to Palancar is what I would do-they will be waiting right out front at the Puerta Maya pier and prices are posted. And there is no problem getting a taxi on your return trip. And my next cruise in 3 weeks will find me right back on Palancar....if you want a beach with a lot of activities and crowds then it's not for you but if you want laid back and beautiful this is the place! You can also walk up and down the beach from Palancar for quite a way without running into anything else. The food is great and if you are lucky you might get David as your waiter...speaks wonderful English, is informative and a good waiter. Enjoy your trip!

Archived