Dog Sledding

trishalyn78

This may be a crazy question, but...

Are there any lesser expensive dog sledding excursions? (Princess Cruise)

(Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan)

Are there people who offer the dog sledding that aren't affiliated with the cruise ship that would be trustworthy?

there is a ground operation dog sledding tour in Skagway. Coastal Helicopters are not affiliated with any ship tours and they are in Juneau...Ground operators are always cheaper because you do not have to fly....that is expensive.....very expensive....and there is no snow in the summer so you ride in carts rather than on a sled. There is also an excursion to a dog sled kennel in Carcross...(also a tour from Skagway that goes to Canada) but it is a very short dog sled ride in a cart. Approximately 1/4-1/2 mile...almost over before it begins, but it gives you an idea what it is like. Look up Coastal helicopters on the net. I am sure they have a website...All the mushers are Iditarod veterans or Yukon Quest veterans.

We did the dog sled/kart ride in Carcross when we were on the Princess cruise four years ago and thought it was great! We were traveling with our kids and our youngest daughter was not quite 4 so it was the only option available to us to experience a "dog sled" ride. The kids were thrilled with the ride. We were going so fast that I was sure that we were going to crash but I survived to tell the tale! :) I would definitely recommend it if you want to try dog sledding without the expensive flight to get to snow.

Lisa

Be careful who you choose. In Skagway a few years ago we got "stood up" by a dog sled outfit. We booked on-line and with an advance credit card 4 months in advance. We got off the ship and waited, and waited. Finally after about 45 minutes someone in a van pulled up and told us they were over booked and we were out of luck. Very disappointing. So we just walked around town. While they were cheaper than through the ship, we got our money back and nothing else.

If one must experience dog sledding on snow in summer, helicopeter up onto a glaicer is the only option with the cost. Dog carts out of Skagway is a far cheaper option but its with carts.

Or you can find something in the continental USA during winter in some places.

The savings is small going independent on helicopter is about 50 bucks/person.

This may be a crazy question, but...

Are there any lesser expensive dog sledding excursions? (Princess Cruise)

(Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan)

Are there people who offer the dog sledding that aren't affiliated with the cruise ship that would be trustworthy?

Coastal helicopters and dog sled tours are on the dock in Juneau.....While they are not connected with the ships, they are reputable and it is a wonderful experience.....You drive your own sled...if your would like to do so...The people who run it are all Iditarod veterans or Yukon Quest veterans....and the ride up is beautiful. I am going in June....Have been before and will go again.....Love it.....It is on the Herbert glacier....in Juneau..If the weather is bad, you can do something else in town before you pay on the ship and have to get a refund...Weather in Juneau can be notoriously rotten (rainy and foggy)...even planes get stuck there for days....and no one should want to go up in a helicopter in the fog.....even if they would fly....which they won't...:)

Coastal helicopters and dog sled tours are on the dock in Juneau.....While they are not connected with the ships, they are reputable and it is a wonderful experience.....You drive your own sled...if your would like to do so...The people who run it are all Iditarod veterans or Yukon Quest veterans....and the ride up is beautiful. I am going in June....Have been before and will go again.....Love it.....It is on the Herbert glacier....in Juneau..If the weather is bad, you can do something else in town before you pay on the ship and have to get a refund...Weather in Juneau can be notoriously rotten (rainy and foggy)...even planes get stuck there for days....and no one should want to go up in a helicopter in the fog.....even if they would fly....which they won't...:)

You "drive your own sled"??? And no tour driver??? "You are off on your own- with your town team of dogs? No, this isn't accurate. You are riding on the breaks, and you are not commanding the dogs or "driving the sleds". There are two sleds together, 3 passengers, 1 on the breaks (the "driving" reference) and two in the baskets. PLUS one driver.

The locations can change year to year.

As I mention above, thinking you are going to just be able to get off the ship and on this tour, is a very risky chance to take. These tours frequently sell out in advance, and they only run a limited number of tours per day.

No Budget Queen, you do not drive a dog sled by yourself, but you can get on the runners. It certainly gives you the feeling and yet you are very safe. This is one thing that I am acquainted with very well....I have a sled dog kennel with 33 dogs at present and I know everyone of the guys/gals who does a kennel tour or a cart tour or on the glacier....and some of my dogs are there as well...Alaska and Canada's mushers are a very small community.

Archived