I found my dress!

scarletine

I've been looking high and low for the perfect formal to wear on our next cruise. I wanted something really special, as it's for our 10th anniversary, and I wanted to look extra nice.

I found "The Dress" at Dillard's this weekend (it's the one in the middle), and it's so pretty! It's actually a little greener than in the picture, with a turquoise iridescence to the material. Simple, elegant, without a lot of "extras". My main concern is that it has a floating panel in the back that acts as a train, and I kept tripping on it, even just in the fitting room. I may have to have it shortened to match the hem of the dress... :D

I was worried about finding shoes to match, but as I was leaving, I swung past the shoe department, and (YAY!) found a perfect pair to go with it, and they'll match another dress I'm bringing as well. All in all it was a very successful shopping trip!

Now I just need to find a purse, (and lose 10 more pounds) ;) and I'll be all set!

Beautiful find! It has some sort of retro thing going on which seems quite popular these days. Congratulations!

As for the train, I'd hate to see you lose that trailing bit of fabric. Maybe you can practice for a bit and see if you can't learn to work with it before having it altered? It adds class!

What a pretty dress!

How about going with either silver, gold, or bronze shoes and handbag? The metallics are very big this year and they go with everything!

(I'm a part time stylist!!)

Actually, I found shoes, they are some sort of material, match the green of the dress almost perfectly, and are embroidered with the outlines of feathers in both turquoise and purple. They are fabulous!

So for a purse, I was thinking of finding one to match one of the colors of the embroidery in the shoes. (Though I found a vintage one on eBay decorated with peacock feathers that I have my eye on.) If I can't get any of those, I was thinking of going with a silver purse, as it would go with the jewelry that I'm making to go along with the dress.

What a beautiful dress!

Definitely see if you can somehow bustle the train. I had a small train on one of my formal dresses on our last cruise and although it was bustled, it still hung down a little... during the captain's cocktail party, it was so crowded and everyone who got too close would step on my dress! I was glad the material was a heavy satin or otherwise it may have ripped. I'd wear it again in a heartbeat though, especially after the many compliments

What a beautiful dress!

Definitely see if you can somehow bustle the train. I had a small train on one of my formal dresses on our last cruise and although it was bustled, it still hung down a little... during the captain's cocktail party, it was so crowded and everyone who got too close would step on my dress! I was glad the material was a heavy satin or otherwise it may have ripped. I'd wear it again in a heartbeat though, especially after the many compliments

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought about doing that. I have kind of a big booty, so I don't need any extra bulk back there, ;) but I might be able to do something with it so that it doesn't look too bad.

For mine, I had a snap sewn on the back so all I had to do was snap it up and if I wanted to let it down, just unsnap it... that way there wasn't a lot of extra bulk like they do with the wedding dresses, but it still looked nice and was functional for what I wanted.

Now you have me in the mood to start checking out dresses for my next cruise! This is the fun part :-)

what a pretty dress...i always get somthing black habit....found a really pretty long black dress with a slit up the side..and some beading at the bottom..with a light overjacket...finally i have been looking forever...seems like every cruise i am a different size...lol:D

try the dress on with your shoes first! You may find that it is the perfect length. If not, then ask a seamstess to take it up as little as possible to prevent tripping, and wear the shoes you have purchased to the fitting. Chances are, the seamstress can take the train up just a touch, and leave you with that elegant little trail while preventing you from doing a face plant (or deck plant! :D )

It looks gorgeous, I hope you have a wonderful time!:)

Take care,

Emmie

Archived