When does your vacation actually begin?

DH and I work for a school district - he is a dept head - we sail in January - ours starts when we're in DTW nd he gets the phone call that school is cancelled due to snow and he has to call his staff to tell them its a snow day. :D:D:D (and we're sunning while your shovelin :p)

When I was walking out of my office heading toward the lobby when one of the marketing guys walked up with that goofy look they have when they are going ask IT another stupid question and I pointed to my guys in their cubes and said "ask someone who might care" and kept on walking:D

LMAO! I know that look so well. First they lurk outside the office door and then they come in and say 'So there is something weird going on with ______' :eek:

That is a tricky question, and it has several starts. It starts when it is quitting time at work. I usually take the day before I leave off and get the last minute packing done. It also starts when I leave for the airport or when I arrive in the port city, or when I wake up and it is time to board the ship.

The most memorable vacation starts is when I get off the plane in the port city and head to the hotel.....even if I came off a red eye flight, I am ready to explore!

As soon as we are through security and customs at the airport! Then we usually walk around and just enjoy the moment. We are strange, we love airports. We have a 3 hour layover in Chicago on the way to our Cruise in a week and we couldn't be more thrilled!

As soon as we are through security and customs at the airport! Then we usually walk around and just enjoy the moment. We are strange, we love airports. We have a 3 hour layover in Chicago on the way to our Cruise in a week and we couldn't be more thrilled!

I feel ya:D......

Right after we leave the house we stop at a convenience store and I get my wife a single red rose. Then it's official.:D

that is so sweet - I should tell my honey that - MAJOR brownie points would be scored on that gesture - good for you! And lucky her!

ps....I usually get a pedicure the night before the cruise....with a drink in hand. It's not a DOD, but it sets the mood.

The very second I am out of the door at work...cannot keep a smile off my face no matter how much traffic there is, or what errands I have left, or how much I have to pack-none of that matters-i am happy to do all of it because I am officially on vacation the second i leave work!

mines the moment i hand in my last final for the semester!! lol its a whole week and a two days till were flying.. but from there on im fully on cruise mode!! too bad my mom and sister still have work the day before we leave!!

the minute i book my cruise

the minute i start reading cruise critic

the minute i start planning

the minute i start packing

the minute i leave for the airport

and most of all the minute i step on the ship for the first time :d

me too!!!!!:d:d:d

The very second I am out of the door at work...cannot keep a smile off my face no matter how much traffic there is, or what errands I have left, or how much I have to pack-none of that matters-i am happy to do all of it because I am officially on vacation the second i leave work!

I completely agree! The moment my car leaves the office parking garage - it's vacation time!

The moment hubby walks through the door the night before the cruise. We mix up some yummy cocktails & our vacation is officially started!! When I first see the ship though, forget it........, it's on my top 5 "best thing in the world" list:p

We drive to our port the day before the cruise. So, my vacation usually starts about 4 a.m. the day before the cruise!! :)

We too are heading out around 4am for the drive to Baltimore. Once we pull away from the curb, vacation has started!

Similar to the OP, our vacation starts as soon as the van is packed, the family is buckled in and we back out of the drive way. And every time, someone immediately says "Vacation has officially begun!"

LOVE THAT FEELING!

We live about 40 minutes drive from the cruise terminal in Galveston, so the day can be a little crazy with last minute packing and plans the night before. Some cruises we are up until midnight getting it all ready to go.

Then... the alarm doesn't even need to ring. I am up by 6:00am, headed to the bakery, walking the dog, loading the car, charging camera batteries, etc.

The last thing I do is take a much needed shower after running around the house. I like to leave the house by 10:00am and be there early!

Drive up to the terminal, leave the family with the luggage, catch up with them in line, talk to the retired fireman and his wife that check people in Galveston and then... it happens.

I get vacation frame of mind once we head up the last elevation of the gangway. It's a euphoric feeling for me... The past cruise was perhaps the one that was most meaningful, we had a tough year with parents, career change and way too much business travel!

Then it's time to people watch for about 2 hours because we did shore excursions online, checked on dining table location and took a few pictures.

When are we going again?

Archived