Sunset Beach Resort, Montego Bay???

chill6x6

If I were you, I would NOT book the transfer. We did this back in January, also booking the transfer but it was more hassle than it was worth and we wasted about 45 minutes waiting at the port for the transfer. We met another couple who were also going to Sunset and they had booked the transfers as well so the four searched the port for this driver. The lady from the information booth in the terminal ended up calling them for us, hence, time wasted looking around the port for the driver and then waiting for them to come.

We arranged for the driver to come back for us, and the other couple at 2:30 !! Nobody showed up and we waited for a good 20 minutes before deciding to get our own taxi back to the port. There's not much difference between the taxi prices and what the cost of the transfers were. In the long run, it ended up costing us more since we'd basically already paid for the return transfer but had to fork out again for a taxi. :mad:

I reported this to the tour company shown in your link and was told we should have called from the hotel but the problem was we'd already "checked out" if you will. They'd removed our bracelets, returned our sign & sail card, and we were actually outside the hotel compound where the taxis pick up and drop off. We loved Sunset but I'd never book the transfers again, and the other couple said the same thing.

If you haven't already booked transfers, I'd say just pick up a taxi at the port..so much less hassle! ;)

Thank you so much. We will not book the transfers.

If I were you, I would NOT book the transfer. We did this back in January, also booking the transfer but it was more hassle than it was worth and we wasted about 45 minutes waiting at the port for the transfer. We met another couple who were also going to Sunset and they had booked the transfers as well so the four searched the port for this driver. The lady from the information booth in the terminal ended up calling them for us, hence, time wasted looking around the port for the driver and then waiting for them to come.

We arranged for the driver to come back for us, and the other couple at 2:30 !! Nobody showed up and we waited for a good 20 minutes before deciding to get our own taxi back to the port. There's not much difference between the taxi prices and what the cost of the transfers were. In the long run, it ended up costing us more since we'd basically already paid for the return transfer but had to fork out again for a taxi. :mad:

I reported this to the tour company shown in your link and was told we should have called from the hotel but the problem was we'd already "checked out" if you will. They'd removed our bracelets, returned our sign & sail card, and we were actually outside the hotel compound where the taxis pick up and drop off. We loved Sunset but I'd never book the transfers again, and the other couple said the same thing.

If you haven't already booked transfers, I'd say just pick up a taxi at the port..so much less hassle! ;)

So if we do this, we don't need to book in advance. Just find the kiosk at the cruise terminal to get us a taxi? Is is better to let the people there get a taxi for us. A little worried about the safety in Jamaica of just getting in to a taxi unknown!

So if we do this' date=' we don't need to book in advance. Just find the kiosk at the cruise terminal to get us a taxi? Is is better to let the people there get a taxi for us. A little worried about the safety in Jamaica of just getting in to a taxi unknown![/quote']

If I were doing it again, I would book Sunset Resort in advance but not the transfers. (They are optional). Sunset is very close to the port... probably less than five minutes in a taxi. I know when we were going to return to the port, there was no shortage of taxis outside Sunset so we had no problem. I'm sure taxis from the port will be plentiful too.

I believe we paid $3 or $4 per person on our return and there were four of us in the van. Definitely don't pay more than what the transfers offered by the tour company are. If I remember right, at first the driver quoted us a higher price and we said no way but he came down to a reasonable figure ;)

If you feel safer going with the transfer offered, it's up to you but be prepared. We thought it would be easy to spot the driver holding a sign but there was just no driver to be found... the other couple we met had the same problem! Just a waste of about an hour looking and waiting.

Edited by hancogran

If I were doing it again, I would book Sunset Resort in advance but not the transfers. (They are optional). Sunset is very close to the port... probably less than five minutes in a taxi. I know when we were going to return to the port, there was no shortage of taxis outside Sunset so we had no problem. I'm sure taxis from the port will be plentiful too.

I believe we paid $3 or $4 per person on our return and there were four of us in the van. Definitely don't pay more than what the transfers offered by the tour company are. If I remember right, at first the driver quoted us a higher price and we said no way but he came down to a reasonable figure ;)

If you feel safer going with the transfer offered, it's up to you but be prepared. We thought it would be easy to spot the driver holding a sign but there was just no driver to be found... the other couple we met had the same problem! Just a waste of about an hour looking and waiting.

Thank you! This is definitely something we're interested in.

Just to get this right in my "right" brain;

Did y'all book via the JamaicaForaDay web site,

or directly with SunsetResortJamaica ?

Thanks for clarification

Edited by KenNBarbie
right

just wanted to thank everyone for their comments...we booked this for our jamaica excursion and I was really worried but it sounds like it will be a great day....

to be clear....a taxi to this place for a family of 4 should cost us between $12 and $15 is that correct

just wanted to thank everyone for their comments...we booked this for our jamaica excursion and I was really worried but it sounds like it will be a great day....

to be clear....a taxi to this place for a family of 4 should cost us between $12 and $15 is that correct

Four of us got a taxi back to the ship from here and it was $4 per person. I believe when we first asked the driver how much it would be he said $5 each and we told him no. He then said $4 which we were ok with :)

The OP mentioned seeing ship personnel walking over to the Resort.

Is this possible/advisable?

I think it's about a 20 minute walk from the port to the resort but remember how hot and humid it can be. I also read about people walking there and even though it's not far, just remember the heat ;)

• 1 month later...

Our family of 12 went to the Sunset Beach Resort last week.

Taxi - no problems catching a taxi from the cruise terminal. Fee was $3/person each way, all agreed to up front. The driver even waited for us for the trip back to the cruise ship. No hassles from anyone. As others have said, the ride is a short 5 minutes from the cruise terminal.

Resort - It is advisable to pre-pay. When we arrived, there was a line of 30-40 people. When an employee asked if anyone was prepaid, we were the only ones who had prepaid, and the employee whisked us to the front of the line.

The resort really looked run-down. A lot of "moldy" looking places on the buildings. The pools were just OK, and the lazy river, I suppose was OK.

Beach - I've definitely been to nicer beaches. There were lots of rocks leading from the resort into the water. I guess I'm just used to fluffy-sand beaches. This beach was sandy, but pretty packed down. Never saw any vendors pushing their wares on any guests.

Food/Drinks - We didn't go to the buffet, but instead went to the grill area that served burgers, hot dogs, jerk chicken, fries. The attitude of the server was horrible. He couldn't have cared less if anyone was there. Never a smile, never an acknowledgement that you were in line or that you had made an order. The only way you knew if he heard your order was if he turned around and yelled the order back to the cooks. The self-serve soft drink machine next to the order area was out of glasses (if they held 8 ounces of fluid, I'd be surprised). The same small glasses were used in the bar area. A member in my party asked if there were more glasses, and the same employeee responded with, "go to the bar area and bring back a stack of glasses." WHAT????? We soon saw another guest bringing a stack of glasses to the serving area. Pathetic service.

Neither I nor the rest of my traveling party would go back to this place again.

We will be there in a couple of weeks on the conquest (CCL). just wanted to know if anyone has taken the bus over thru jamaica for a day?

Yes.. we did. See my previous posts in this thread.

Our family of 12 went to the Sunset Beach Resort last week.

Neither I nor the rest of my traveling party would go back to this place again.

I've been to Sunset Beach Resort twice. Though definitely not a five star resort and looking a tad on the run down side, I think it serves it's purpose. First time I went there it was only $40 so I was fine with that. Now, I know it's 30 bucks higher and looking worse for wear. I would absolutely never stay there. but for a few hours of drinking and hanging out it was fine. It's very close to the ship which is a big plus in Jamaica. I haven't had any problem with either a line at the front gate or rude employees either time I was there. The pools were good enough, buffet was similar to the ship's buffet and the drinks were ok. With limited choices, I'd have no problem going back, but I can see why others would prefer not to.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

If you don't have high expectations, it will be fine. I can think of plenty of other things and places to go in Jamaica than this resort, but I've been there a lot and enjoy the people and adventure tours. If you are ok with mediocre food, and very average resort stuff, it will be fine.

Please help with better ideas.... I grew up in Key West my husband palm beach and have traveled the world with as a Navy family we are going with our 2 boys 8 and 10 that both fish big game salt water and snorkel as diving they aren't of age yet even though my husband and I were diving at that age. We were condisering doing a a taxi tour? We are open to ideas Please help. My husband and I have been once and did Dunns River yea OK but a Trap if you know what I mean.

• 1 year later...
Have been there once and had a grand time. All inclusive. Last I heard 60.00 a person. That is your food, alcoholic beverages and use of the non motorized water equipment and snorkel gear and of course the beach. Great place to spend the day!:)

Hi how is the beach area here? THanks Jen

Hi,

I was wondering if there are 2 Sunset Grands.

I ask only because when we were once docked in Ocho Rios the Sunset Grand was right next door to the pier.

So is there a Sunset Grand closer to Falmouth port?

I can't seem to find a website that distinguishes between the two.

Thanx for your help

Hi,

I was wondering if there are 2 Sunset Grands.

I ask only because when we were once docked in Ocho Rios the Sunset Grand was right next door to the pier.

So is there a Sunset Grand closer to Falmouth port?

I can't seem to find a website that distinguishes between the two.

Thanx for your help

Yes, there are two sunset grande resorts. the one right near Ocho Rios, we walked there from our cruise ship in December. Enjoyed our day there.

The is a second one near Montego Bay that is a sister resort to the one in Ocho Rios. I have sent two inquiries to them asking about spending the day there but haven't gotten a response. Hope to hear from them soon - guess I better call. But, it does look like a bit of a drive from Falmouth to the resort. someone said it wasn't that far but according to Google Maps it looks like it's about 30 minutes.

Yes, there are two sunset grande resorts. the one right near Ocho Rios, we walked there from our cruise ship in December. Enjoyed our day there.

The is a second one near Montego Bay that is a sister resort to the one in Ocho Rios. I have sent two inquiries to them asking about spending the day there but haven't gotten a response. Hope to hear from them soon - guess I better call. But, it does look like a bit of a drive from Falmouth to the resort. someone said it wasn't that far but according to Google Maps it looks like it's about 30 minutes.

Thank you for letting me know. When you find out could you post the response?

We did an AI with Jamaicafioraday to Hilton Rose Hall $99 pp w/ transportation and would like to try someplace new. I'll have to check w/ Jamaicforaday and see what they have to offer.

I am hoping they have a day pass or an AI.

Thanx again for your help