Question about Chankanaab snorkeling

knoxvillecruiser

If we have our own snorkel gear, is snorkeling included in the admission fee, or will we have to pay extra to snorkel? I'm confused as to what is included in admission and what will cost extra. Also, is the food good? Mainly looking for just some snacks such as chips and guacamole or salsa. Thanks!

No extra charge for snorkeling if you have your gear. There was only maybe a dozen people snorkeling when we were there, it was great (and honestly the best snorkeling we had the whole week, as it turned out). Food was awesome (I believe we had the tostadas and the kids had the standard chicken fingers) and inexpensive. It was a great day.

Thanks so much for the replies! We've been to Cozumel several times, but have never tried Chankanaab. We rented a jeep last time and went all over the island. We're just looking for a relaxing day this time without a thousand people. It looks like we're the only ship in port that day, which is amazing to me considering it is Cozumel. (Carnival Dream, 5/30) It doesn't have to be fabulous snorkeling, but would like to have a place to swim around and see a few fish. I think this sounds like a good place to start for the day and we can always leave to shop or do something else if we get bored. Thanks again!:)

Chakanaab park was really fun! I enjoyed the snorkeling! It is included in the admission. If you'd also like a little history in your excursion, I suggest trying the Discover Mexico, Chakanaab package. Its only $34 for both parks. Discover Mexico is a 1.5 hour tour about the history of Mexico, it was very interesting.

I have attached a couple of pictures from my trip there last year. There was a lot of fish to be seen. Even saw one barracuda who kept an eye on me. For me, I have found that this place is too expensive as they charge $21 to get in.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_2058.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_2059.jpg

Enjoy.

The beach there is not ideal for walking from the sand into the water. Access is down some steps right into the water which stars about 4 -6 feet deep. The coral reef comes right up to the tidal wall so the beach ends at the wall, then down the steps. There are plenty of fish and if you feel brave and don't mind a million fish, put a piece of bread in a net bag and shake it while you snorkel. Better still give it to someone and watch the fish from a distance. It is a great spot for snorkel because of the coral and the only charge is the entrance fee to the state park. If you just want to explore and see a few fish then go to Paradise Beach and rent a lounge chair for $2. This & Playa Mia and Paridise all have web sites.

I'd say it starts out about 6 feet and goes down from there. I think the sunken statues are about 7' and the tops of those were a good 6-7' from the surface of the water.

Sunken statues? Are there any pictures of this? How big? This sounds neat.

I have attached a couple of pictures from my trip there last year. There was a lot of fish to be seen. Even saw one barracuda who kept an eye on me. For me, I have found that this place is too expensive as they charge $21 to get in.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_2058.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb355/thescot1234/IMG_2059.jpg

Enjoy.

Wait what? $21 to get in??? Per person?? Seriously? :eek: What about children?

The beach there is not ideal for walking from the sand into the water. Access is down some steps right into the water which stars about 4 -6 feet deep. The coral reef comes right up to the tidal wall so the beach ends at the wall, then down the steps. There are plenty of fish and if you feel brave and don't mind a million fish, put a piece of bread in a net bag and shake it while you snorkel. Better still give it to someone and watch the fish from a distance. It is a great spot for snorkel because of the coral and the only charge is the entrance fee to the state park. If you just want to explore and see a few fish then go to Paradise Beach and rent a lounge chair for $2. This & Playa Mia and Paridise all have web sites.

So is this a coral reef or iron shore? (Sorry, I haven't even heard of iron shore until I started researching the western caribbean and I'm still trying to figure out the difference).

Is this the norm in Cozumel that you don't walk off the beach into the water? We were going to go to the Money Bar and it looks like they are the same way...walk down some steps to get in.

Is the water here calm or not?

2816285940071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

this is the only one we saw (but there are others). we were chasing fish, lol. it's supposed to be Jesus, but we called it the "Nestea Plunge" statue, lol.

LOL, thanks for the visual there. I just wasn't picturing what type of statues. :)

Archived