Just got off b2b on Whisper 4-17 to 5-7

heidik

I want to just give some random thoughts and impressions about my first time sailing with SS. I did the Barbados to Barbados b2b (4112 & 4113). I want to give some quick responses to things I've read on this board prior to leaving.......I was in a midship verandah and traveled as a single female. My goal was the ship and I had zero interest in any of the Carribbean ports.....this cruise was to 'force' myself to relax and be totally stress-free for 3 weeks of quiet, alone time - my interest was also not in any gourmet dining or entertainment. Probably boring for many people, heaven for me :)

1. the alarm clock on the desk runs on batteries - so unplug it and move to the bedside if you want. There are very few outlets, but the alarm clock does not need to be plugged in! It kept perfect time on its battery for the 21 days i was on board

2. the buzzer that is used for a "door bell" to the suite almost drove me to jump overboard it was soooooo obnoxious -- it sounded like I was being buzzed into the back room of some shady check cashing operation - scared the beejeebers out of me every time someone used it. My butler was great in spreading the word to all staff that I wished to have people knock and not use that darn buzzer......you can also hear it very loudly when it goes off in neighboring suites -- awful awful awful

3. My butler really made my trip and I highly recommend everyone use this great service - he took care of everything I asked for and was wonderfully professional and efficient - I felt totally welcome and very well taken care of -- Please - if there is anything that you do not like or want, do not hesitate to tell your butler and he will take care of it.

4. The suite was absolutely beautiful -- deep reds and gold and looked gorgeous in the evening with the lighting -- very comfortable - the bed was far and above even HAL's in comfort. i felt wonderfully pampered and had zero complaints (that's really good for me!). suite was kept spotless

5. The Itinerary for each leg of my b2b was like night and day and was the only major gripe I had -- the first leg, voyage 4112 Barbados to Ft. laurderdale, was the first part of my journey and was absolutely heavenly - gorgeous ports, perfect weather, calm seas - a real luxury, exclusive feel all around. Unfortunately the 2nd leg, Ft. Lauderdale back to Barbados, felt like a very different cruise -- the ports had several monster ships in the ports, was crowded, noisy -- zero feeling of "exclusiveness" that one would expect from SS -- several pax i spoke with, like me, did not even venture ashore as the lines were so long to get off the pier/go through security. Also, the first 2 days out of Ft. lauderdale had rough seas and MANY pax were seasick - I felt really bad as the first night was a formal and many people were too sick to leave their cabins (I was told).

6. Room service was great - always exactly on time, hot food, etc.

7. Coffee -- I was very concerned about the negative reviews I had read here and there about the coffee. The first day i tested it, it was lousy. Very weak. I simply told my butler and also every day wrote "strong & fresh please" on my overnight breakfast order door hanger and from that time on it was great! Again, do not be afraid to ask about anything that is not to your liking

8. Pax - first leg, quite a few well-behaved children; I only saw 1 the 2nd leg. Diversity of pax from 20 somethings to elderly/infirmed -- a very nice mix I felt

That's it for the moment off the top of my head. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer - keep in mind that I did not experience the entire "SS cruise experience" as that was not my goal.....

Heidi -- I was the one who posted about the alarm clock -- silly me, guess I should have checked it out further! Sorry you did not enjoy the second leg as much -- I too really enjoyed the Butler concept!

Archived