"LIVE" From the FREEDOM of the SEAS, 8-15 May 2011 (Eastern)

I'm embarrassed to say that I recognize that. My dad had a replica of it as a fountain into his pool. If you look close, you can see where the water comes out :)

This's Manneke Pis from Belguim. It's standing in brussel and has also clothes for special events.

Phillipsburg - Random Photos

I have always thought that Philipsburg has one of the nicest port side shopping areas. From major stores full of expensive diamonds and watches to over 40 small, cottage style shops. There is certainly something for everyone.

Not only that, but it is spotlessly clean!

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2581.jpg

DSCN2588.jpg

DSCN2590.jpg

DSCN2591.jpg

DSCN2592.jpg

Here is a photo of the Philipsburg shopping area from the ship.

On the left is the spoil they dredged from the harbor to make a deep water spot for the Oasis/Allure. They are now using it to make concrete for assorted construction projects.

On the right is the port area shopping complex.

DSCN2601.jpg

Here is a closeup of the "armoring" along the shore. These "things" are made from reinforced, high density concrete and are designed into a shape that allows them to move about but still remain interlocked during heavy storms.

DSCN2607.jpg

Cloudy and Hazy All Day with Very High Humidity... :eek:

It was not too hot ashore but I was dripping wet from the humidity!

We returned from our shopping in time for a shower before heading up to the Windjammer.

Passed more watermelon art on the way in.

DSCN2609.jpg

DSCN2610.jpg

Judith fixed herself a nice salad for lunch...

DSCN2613.jpg

I had the excellent carved lamb with mashed potatoes & gravy, a Greek salad, and black bean soup which RCI always does well.

DSCN2612.jpg

Phillipsburg - Random Photos

I have always thought that Philipsburg has one of the nicest port side shopping areas. From major stores full of expensive diamonds and watches to over 40 small, cottage style shops. There is certainly something for everyone.

Not only that, but it is spotlessly clean!

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2581.jpg

DSCN2588.jpg

DSCN2590.jpg

DSCN2591.jpg

DSCN2592.jpg

I so agree! We were there in November on Oasis and it looks pristine as usual.

I'm embarrassed to say that I recognize that. My dad had a replica of it as a fountain into his pool. If you look close, you can see where the water comes out :)

Don't be embarassed - that is art. Compared with some of what they call art today, it is in very good taste!:)

It's the famous peeing statue to be seen in Brussels, Belgium. Read more about it here: http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Statuary/mannekinpis.html

I have a brass letter opener topped with a replica of the statue. Belgium is imprinted in French (Belgique). I have no idea when or how this happened to be in the family.

Something just occurred to me. I was wondering if you get recognized by the crew/officers? It has been posted that the cruise lines read these posts. You are famous in these posts. Your posts are live so everybody knows which ship you are currently on. If I worked for RCCL and read that you were on one of the ships, I'd get the word out, like with any influential person. Be on your toes, Trainman is here and many are hanging on his posts. So anyway, I was just wondering if you think you generate a little buzz around the crew or if they really have no idea they are dealing with the famous Trainman.

Something just occurred to me. I was wondering if you get recognized by the crew/officers? It has been posted that the cruise lines read these posts. You are famous in these posts. Your posts are live so everybody knows which ship you are currently on. If I worked for RCCL and read that you were on one of the ships, I'd get the word out, like with any influential person. Be on your toes, Trainman is here and many are hanging on his posts. So anyway, I was just wondering if you think you generate a little buzz around the crew or if they really have no idea they are dealing with the famous Trainman.

I like the way you think! Thanks for the post.

And thanks to Trainman for your live from the FOS with the fantatic pictures!

What a cool idea! :D I kind of doubt it though. While I think we're all in agreement that RCCL reads the boards, it wouldn't be people on the ship. I also think they wouldn't take too much time reading through long threads like this. Most likely they just want glimpses of what everyone's saying.

Maybe it they read this report they would give them a free cruise on the Allure or Oasis!!!!!

Great Advertisement!!!!!!

Judith broke a bone in her leg and had surgery several years ago. It is "not right" and we hope a surgeon we are seeing next week can help her. I have spine problems which limit the amount of time I can stand or walk.

It is a pain when you get old and you body won't let you do the things you want to.

But we both have many more good years together and I am really pleased that Judith is enjoying cruising as much as I do.

It is just after the 4:30 "All Aboard" time so we are going to watch for runners awhile and then head toward dinner in the MDR.

More later...

Let's hope no one misses the ship!

It is just after the 4:30 "All Aboard" time so we are going to watch for runners awhile and then head toward dinner in the MDR.

More later...

One of my favorite spectator sports. Keep up the great work, Trainman. We'll be waiting patiently for your next update. :D

Art On Board...

It is everywhere and I am sure that many cruisers never slow down and check it out.

These two are self animating (If you turn the crank yourself) and are on Deck 6, Starboard, near the Aft Elevators.

DSCN2519.jpg

DSCN2518.jpg

In the hallway outside our cabin on the Explorer, there were displays of American Indian items. They were beautiful!

Eileen

Dinner in the MDR was Good Tonight...

DSCN2615.jpg

I had the Scallop Risotto appetizer tonight. I seem to recall that the last time I had it there was one giant scallop. This time there were two smaller ones. It was still excellent.

DSCN2616.jpg

Judith and I both had the Lamb Shank tonight. I thought mine was a bit dry but Judith said hers was excellent.

DSCN2620.jpg

A General Comment on MDR Service...

It seems like we see less of the assistant waiter on this cruise than on all of my past cruises.

We do have a Bar Waitress and she brings my cokes and brings new ones just before I run out. In the past, the Assistant Waiter always handled cokes for me.

This is the first cruise ever where we have not been offered bread/rolls two or three times. We get one serving at the beginning and then nothing else unless we ask for it and then it is iffy!

Tonight I asked "May we have some more rolls please?" and a few minutes later she came back and asked what I wanted. I asked for a Sour Dough and she gave me one and disappeared! Judith wanted one too and being such a nice guy I gave her mine.

And there seems to be a lot of time when neither the Waiter nor the Assistant are around and available to ask for something.

A General Comment on the Ships Computers and Wi-Fi Systems

Major Improvements!

- I am able to use PhotoBucket's Bulk Up-loader all of the time. At one time I uploaded 27 photos at once (one at a time automatically). In the past I have had to do two or three at a time.

- I am now able to send email using Outlook from my notebook. In the past I have had to use Web Mail for sending even though I have always been able to receive emails using Outlook. One quirk, When I hit "Send" the email goes into my out-box and waits for me to his "Send/Receive" before it actually goes out.

Archived