Which excursions where? Sailing 11th June

Hi,

first time posting and PG Cruising and a little overwhelmed re which excursions and where?

We are interested in Coral Garden Drift Snorkel......Raiatea OR Taha ???

String Ray Ballet & Snorkel Safari......Moorea or Bora Bora ???

ATV Tour or Off Road Adventure????

Wave Runner OR Catajet[ not sure what it is}?????

We also thought may hire a car for 4hrs in BoraBora or Moorea

Are these a good choice, OR are we better off booking privately????

Most interested in snorkelling , so any advise welcomed. We don't want to over do it, or leave with regrets.

Cheers

I'm no help as it's our first time too but we are on the June 11 cruise and want to snorkle as one of our excursions. We wanted to do the catamaran snorkling trip but it's not available to sign up online so maybe it's full. :(

We have been on the PG twice, and the stories and pictures of our excursions are on our website www.stevekathytravels.com

The most memorable were the stingray, helicopter in Bora Bora, Sunset catamaran sail on Moorea, and a drift snorkel that was scary

We wanted to pre-register for the catamara sail on Moorea but it's not on the list online. Do we have to do that on ship or do you think it's already full?

Do the Patrick 3/4 day on Bora Bora. It includes the stingray and shark encounter, snorkle and island feast.:D

So I'm guessing this is the 7 hour day at the beach? How do we know it's with Patrick? I don't want to sign up for the wrong thing!

We are interested in Coral Garden Drift Snorkel......Raiatea OR Taha ???

Likewise, but I have read in other messages that it is at Taha'a that PG go to Motu Mahana - which everyone says is a fanastic day. So maybe Raiatea would be preferable??

String Ray Ballet & Snorkel Safari......Moorea or Bora Bora ???

Again, interested in this. Might opt for Moorea, especially if the 3/4day Patrick excursion gets sorted - it's a numbers game....anyone else interested.

ATV Tour or Off Road Adventure????

Wave Runner OR Catajet[ not sure what it is}?????

We also thought may hire a car for 4hrs in BoraBora or Moorea

Thought we'd get some form of wheels on Moorea, maybe even a scooter (like on Rarotonga) to blast round on !!;)

Are these a good choice, OR are we better off booking privately????

Would greatly appreciate some some advise from past PG cruisers!!

:cool:

Lots of people have said that the Taha'a drift snorkel is good, and that you still have time to go to the motu afterwards, not sure if you miss the picnic. But I would do the drift snorkel on Raiatea, myself.

If you want to rent a car for a few hours, Moorea is the right choice..I wouldn't choose a scooter, roads are narrow and traffic can be, uh, undisciplined. It's a really interesting island, onland, more so than Bora Bora, in my opinion. If you do land on BB, do a 4x4 tour, it's really fun and you get wonderful views from up in the hills. The 4x4 on Moorea is also very good.

We did the catamaran snorkel on Moorea on our last trip. It's expensive, but I really enjoyed it, but then I love to snorkel. It's not a beginner snorkel, however, you're in deep water, and have to make your way quite far out towards the barrier reef--no current, just open water. If you want something less challenging, the other snorkel trips on Moorea, name keeps changing, is less challenging, at least in my memory.

We also did the sunset version, with no snorkelling, some years back, and it was lovely.

I love the stingray ballet on BB, always recommend it. The stingray part is done in shallow water, you can stand (in your reef shoes), and you can wear a mask and snorkel if you wish, or not. Then there's an opportunity to snorkel out among the coral heads, coral has degraded over the years, but it's still nice.

Be careful getting in and out of all of these little boats they take you out in--I've seen a serious injury getting into one of these boats destroy the trip of a lifetime.

Our travelling companion last time did the waverunners in Moorea and had a good time--be aware that they don't let you go very fast.

Wendy, thanks for all that info. Now I have a couple of concerns. We really want to do the catamaran but my husband has never snorkeled and it's been years since I have. He is a strong swimmer, me, not so much. So maybe this would not be for us?

Also, you mentioned getting in and out of the boats. That is a major concern for me. I do not have strong legs (even at 18 I couldn't get up on water skis). I also had a knee replacement not two years ago. It's actually much better than before the surgery but getting in and out of boats is a fear. I don't want to be hurt or embarrassed... Please explain further about this issue. I really do want to snorkel and will be fine IN the water.

The PG gives you all the snorkel gear at no charge including a snorkel vest. This is basically a small, inflatable, life vest that is great for snorkeling. My wife used one as she is not a strong swimmer and she would not get out of the water, it was great. During one long open water snorkel I took a rest by holding on to her as I was not wearing a vest.

Getting in and out of the boats requires climbing a ladder, in most cases, that is at the rear of the boat. The ladder does go down into the water and while the first step can be a little high it is not that tough. Just take it slow. The crew on the boat will help and you should not have a problem.

The PG gives you all the snorkel gear at no charge including a snorkel vest. This is basically a small, inflatable, life vest that is great for snorkeling. My wife used one as she is not a strong swimmer and she would not get out of the water, it was great. During one long open water snorkel I took a rest by holding on to her as I was not wearing a vest.

Getting in and out of the boats requires climbing a ladder, in most cases, that is at the rear of the boat. The ladder does go down into the water and while the first step can be a little high it is not that tough. Just take it slow. The crew on the boat will help and you should not have a problem.

Thank you. I can do ladders. First sept will probably be a challenge but I am working on being in as good a shape as I can to try to strengthen as well as slim. lol

So do you think we'd be able to do the catamaran one?

Lots of people have said that the Taha'a drift snorkel is good, and that you still have time to go to the motu afterwards, not sure if you miss the picnic. But I would do the drift snorkel on Raiatea, myself.

If you want to rent a car for a few hours, Moorea is the right choice..I wouldn't choose a scooter, roads are narrow and traffic can be, uh, undisciplined. It's a really interesting island, onland, more so than Bora Bora, in my opinion. If you do land on BB, do a 4x4 tour, it's really fun and you get wonderful views from up in the hills. The 4x4 on Moorea is also very good.

We did the catamaran snorkel on Moorea on our last trip. It's expensive, but I really enjoyed it, but then I love to snorkel. It's not a beginner snorkel, however, you're in deep water, and have to make your way quite far out towards the barrier reef--no current, just open water. If you want something less challenging, the other snorkel trips on Moorea, name keeps changing, is less challenging, at least in my memory.

We also did the sunset version, with no snorkelling, some years back, and it was lovely.

I love the stingray ballet on BB, always recommend it. The stingray part is done in shallow water, you can stand (in your reef shoes), and you can wear a mask and snorkel if you wish, or not. Then there's an opportunity to snorkel out among the coral heads, coral has degraded over the years, but it's still nice.

Be careful getting in and out of all of these little boats they take you out in--I've seen a serious injury getting into one of these boats destroy the trip of a lifetime.

Our travelling companion last time did the waverunners in Moorea and had a good time--be aware that they don't let you go very fast.

Hi, thank you for your advice.

Do you know what a catajet is ??

We have the option of a Waverunner or Catajet.

Hi, thank you for your advice.

Do you know what a catajet is ??

We have the option of a Waverunner or Catajet.

I think I've seen catajets in Moorea. But I'm trying to remember. They looked really stupid, I do remember that. But look at this:

http://www.thetahititraveler.com/touristinfo/activitiesdetail.asp?activityid=311

(I just googled Moorea catajet. On this link, they really enjoyed them, did them three times: http://www.brentpease.com/moorea05.html )

Hi fellow cruisers !!!

Getting TOO FAR down the message board, so I just had to post.:p

It's nice to be able to put a face to the names, love the "mugshots".

Just had a call from TA to say all docs are in and ready for me to pick up, I also have my forex to collect......so it must be getting closer.;)

Archived