Black & white night query

HomelessBear

Hi,

We are going on our first P&O cruise in December on the Azura and then again in July 2012 (we have done about 10 previous cruises, mostly with Princess), and I have read on this board about a Black and White formal night. My DH usually takes his navy suit, white shirts and a selection of nice ties for formal nights. Do all the guys on P&O wear B&W on this night?

Don't get me wrong, we are folks who do follow the dress code and have no problem with this. I was just wondering what normally happens, before we consider having to go out and buy him a black suit (which he probably won't use again except on P&O cruises as he doesn't suit black - if you excuse the pun!). Any suggestions or info will be gratefully accepted. Thanks. :)

The Dress Code Police won't stop your husband from wearing his usual outfit, but you'll probably find P&O is fairly dressy and lots of men wear DJ. I wear a black drss and team it with white accessories, but nobody says you MUST wear black and white.

Formal on P&O is usually a dinner suit or a white tuxedo, most gents conform, or at the very least,a dark grey or black suit and a bow tie.

Maybe hubby could wear a bow tie?

OH may feel out of place in a navy suit and normal tie.

However, even though we have cruised many times with P&O, what anyone wears is of far less importance to us than their very good company.

Hi,

We are going on our first P&O cruise in December on the Azura and then again in July 2012 (we have done about 10 previous cruises, mostly with Princess), and I have read on this board about a Black and White formal night. My DH usually takes his navy suit, white shirts and a selection of nice ties for formal nights. Do all the guys on P&O wear B&W on this night?

Don't get me wrong, we are folks who do follow the dress code and have no problem with this. I was just wondering what normally happens, before we consider having to go out and buy him a black suit (which he probably won't use again except on P&O cruises as he doesn't suit black - if you excuse the pun!). Any suggestions or info will be gratefully accepted. Thanks. :)

Normally the men all wear DJ's well around 90 to 95% however, the B&W nights are only a suggestion. The dress code for a formal night are dark suit and shirt and tie or DJ. You don't need a DJ

Any way in poor light navy looks black.

Gan Canny

Dai

It depends whether you want to conform to the majority or not. You are at perfect liberty yo wear a lounge suit and some men will. However, the Black and White formal evening is perhaps the dressiest on the ship. I would say about 95% of men will be wearing dinner jackets. On our last trip we were waiting to go into dinner on the Black and White evening when I saw one man who was wearing a lounge suite, look around and say to his wife that he hadn't realised the majority of men would be wearing dinner jackets. Don't get me wrong - there is no reason why you should not wear a suit - it is part of the dress code, it's just whether you would feel happier in a dinner jacket.

Agree with annie... most men will be in black dinner (tux) suit with bow tie - fact.

Your hubbie will stand out a bit in a blue suit -Fact . So its up to you both on this what you want to do about it? .

A black dinner suit can be purchased for under £100, and as you are seasoned cruisers anyway, no doubt once purchased he can wear it again and again. My husband bought his for his 1st cruise, and wears it on every formal night , been on 12 assorted cruises so its been worn alot.... no doubt your hubby would wear it again once he has bought it, why not go for it?:)

SLATERS MENSWAR (google for shops in UK) Have a very large formalwear section in their shops with free adjustments of waist and trouserleg.... they have designer suits from £50 -£500. all excellent quality. all year round, unlike M&S etc who mainly stock at christmas a larger range.

John got his dinner suit from M & S for £50.00 and very nice it is too!!! I understand Matalan and ASDA also sell them for £50.00 or less...and believe me nobody can tell the difference between an expensive one and a cheaper one !!! :)

My husband also has one of the M&S £59 diner suits. It is far more lightweight than his older, more expensive dinner suit, but is ideal in warmer climes.

I don't think anyone would be fooled into thinking it's the best quality on examination, but who looks that closely?

On our last P&O cruise my husband wore his kilt which is blue. He didn`t have his dinner suit with him.

On the subject of dinner suits, nobody gets so close to notice if it is an expensive one or not. I think it is a great equaliser.

John got his dinner suit from M & S for £50.00 and very nice it is too!!!.....and believe me nobody can tell the difference between an expensive one and a cheaper one !!! :)

Of course you can. Possibly not at a quick glance, but a good suit is clearly a different animal from a cheap off the peg one.

Believe me most men will be wearing a M&S, Asda, or Matalan dinner suit! My Hubby included lol My youngest son was given a very expensive dinner suit by Harrods a couple of yrs ago for a celeb do. He wore it when we went on cruise, he looked no better in his than my other son or Hubby even with his £600 prada shoes to match!

John got his dinner suit from M & S for £50.00 and very nice it is too!!! I understand Matalan and ASDA also sell them for £50.00 or less...and believe me nobody can tell the difference between an expensive one and a cheaper one !!! :)

I can certainly recommend the M&S DJ. Rob got his online and it is lightweight which is ideal as you won't be uncomfortable keeping your jacket on while dining.

FormalPortrait-M.jpg

In my (limited) experience AZURA male passengers will wear a DJ on formal nights (these nights are not compulsory though). A smary suit is perfectly acceptable for semi-formal nights. This information should be sent to you prior to your cruise - but perhaps not as far a head as December!

Enjoy your cruise.

Black and white night is only a title for one of the formal evenings, but it is the go-ahead for the lovely ladies to experiment and turn out in something different. We poor men just follow in in our usual DJ!

If Homeless Bear's husband has even the slightest feeling of being an outsider by wearing a suit, then "Go For It" and get a £50 DJ and ready made tie from M&S, Matalan or whoever. After all you are still just putting on a shirt, trousers jacket and tie, so what's the difference?

Hi,

Black and white night is a theme not a dress code, you will be fine in a blue dinner suit.

I agree, I was on the Azura Jan/Feb this year and noticed that on the theme nights, not many people seemed to bother.

I didn't see anyone get thrown overboard either. :D

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your suggestions and comments, and I am delighted to report that we took your advice and DH is now the proud owner of a lovely new dinner suit (courtesy of M&S) and a new fancy shirt to go with his bow ties. Of course I have also had to have a new "posh frock" (which I got at a great price)! Its basis is black (with silver embelishments), so we are all set for B&W night and all the other formal nights now on our cruises.

Thanks again to you all for taking the time to reply to my original post.

Happy cruising!

Archived