Cayman Shore Snorkel Through Carnival vs. On Our Own

NoOtherVacay

Can anyone tell me what the benefit to doing this excursion through Carnival would be? I've tried researching with the boards here (and I have been to the Eden Rock website), and as best I can tell, DH and I should be able to just walk over to the site and get on in. Is that correct? We will likely rent a locker, but other than that are there any beach/usage fees? We have our own equipment so we won't need any of that. Unless the vests are required...

The write up on Carnival's site says a guide will meet you at the pier and walk down with you. And also that with a bracelet we can come and go at our own leisure. Can't we do that anyway?

I guess I'm a little confused. Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you!!

I personally can't see much benefit in doing this as a ship's excursion rather than on your own, especially because you have your own gear. It's about a 5 minute walk, and entry is free. Life vests are not required, but if you're not a strong swimmer you might want one since the current is pretty strong in that area.

I personally can't see much benefit in doing this as a ship's excursion rather than on your own, especially because you have your own gear. It's about a 5 minute walk, and entry is free. Life vests are not required, but if you're not a strong swimmer you might want one since the current is pretty strong in that area.

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I was trying to figure out what all the price included. I figured half or a little more maybe was for gear, and then the rest maybe paid for the guide that walked you down, and of course Carnival gets some I'm sure.

I guess I just wasn't sure if there was some fee I couldn't find on the Eden Rock website. Anyway, thanks for your quick reply!

Here's a snippet from reviews I posted on the Carnival board this morning:

We walked off the pier to the left for about 5 minutes and arrived at http://www.edenrockdive.com/. Again, DH and I snorkeled for free and our friends rented their gear at $14 each. We also rented a locker for $5 that fit all of our stuff. You can also sign up for a 1 tank guided dive with proof of cert, and that cost is $65 per person. You don't need to dive to enjoy the reefs - they are beautiful and plentiful right off the shore. Easy to get to, snorkeling close to the cruise ship (it's literally anchored right were we were snorkeling), and wonderful water. Highly recommend!

When we go snorkeling at Eden Rock in GC, we get off of the tender & go to our RIGHT to get there. This is when we are facing the town with our backs to the ship.

How do you get there by going left ? Must be a loooong walk ?

After seeing the website attached to this thread, we do not go there but to the restaurant just before the dive shop.

When we go snorkeling at Eden Rock in GC, we get off of the tender & go to our RIGHT to get there. This is when we are facing the town with our backs to the ship.

How do you get there by going left ? Must be a loooong walk ?

After seeing the website attached to this thread, we do not go there but to the restaurant just before the dive shop.

Yes, to the RIGHT! So sorry!

Here's a snippet from reviews I posted on the Carnival board this morning:

We walked off the pier to the left for about 5 minutes and arrived at http://www.edenrockdive.com/. Again, DH and I snorkeled for free and our friends rented their gear at $14 each. We also rented a locker for $5 that fit all of our stuff. You can also sign up for a 1 tank guided dive with proof of cert, and that cost is $65 per person. You don't need to dive to enjoy the reefs - they are beautiful and plentiful right off the shore. Easy to get to, snorkeling close to the cruise ship (it's literally anchored right were we were snorkeling), and wonderful water. Highly recommend!

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. All were very helpful!

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. All were very helpful!

Cayman is a wonderfully safe island, which is why we keep returning for vacations. You can get off your ship and walk and wander, and do your own thing until it's time to get back on the ship. Have fun!

Archived