MEIN SCHIFF 2(formerly Celebrity Mercury)

jsparku

One of the most drastic changes was the transformation of the beautiful Navigators Observation Lounge and Bar to a gigantic gym with exercise machines. A real travesty if you ask me! :(:(:(

Picture from this past December

before.jpg

The new Sports and Fitness Areas

after.jpg

Oh dear- I wasn´t aware that this gym was the former Overservation Lounge- now that is a real shame- in this case I have to agree the poster who statet- VANDALS! Who needs this " Muckybude" ( german slang for gym) in THIS place of all places? Well I suppose they can not satisfy everyone...

Oh dear- I wasn´t aware that this gym was the former Overservation Lounge- now that is a real shame- in this case I have to agree the poster who statet- VANDALS! Who needs this " Muckybude" ( german slang for gym) in THIS place of all places? Well I suppose they can not satisfy everyone...

Weird see it as a gym now. I have happy memories in the Navigator Club on our Alaska Cruise...

IMG_3782.sized.jpg

IMG_4875.sized.jpg

IMG_4871.sized.jpg

Looks like the Navigator Lounge was divided into three separate parts:

- A gymnasium (starboard side)

- A nightclub (center portion)

- And the X Lounge (Port side) described as such...

"The X-Lounge on Deck 12 with its large panoramic windows offering guests (all the junior suites and suites) not only a great view, but also special services such as culinary delicacies, champagne, newspapers or the Internet for free."

ex.jpg

It looks as if they extended and added a bunch of balconies...

But what's with the ducktail????? :confused:

Does that stabilize it more? or does the ducktail include interior space that's been added on?

Hi,The ducktail is a prrequisite addition towards proper '' weight & balance'' .The entire structure is now heavier with the addition of a large number of balconies. The ducktail makes her ''sit'' in a more stable way.

CENTURY got one added in '06 whehn she was refit with , among others, a whole bunch of balconies.

Matter of fact, if you look quickly, you'll find ex-Mercury looks a lot similar

Cheers

I quess the germans will love their new Mein Schiff 2 - the love Main Schiff- Galaxy. Some germans are really grazy about their dayly workout - NOT ME!!!!! I explore every single deck, every single public room when on board a ship- but I NEVER EVER SET FOOT INTO THE GYM ( MUCKIBUDE)

Michael

NOT ME!!!!! I explore every single deck, every single public room when on board a ship- but I NEVER EVER SET FOOT INTO THE GYM ( MUCKIBUDE)

Michael

Have you explored the hold where they transport cars. Good place for some privacy:D

One of the most drastic changes was the transformation of the beautiful Navigators Observation Lounge and Bar to a gigantic gym with exercise machines. A real travesty if you ask me!

before.jpg

after.jpg

That is just awful -- what were they thinking :confused::confused::confused:

The exterior paint job is even worse than the original M Class colors -- so very sad :(

Hi,The ducktail is a prrequisite addition towards proper '' weight & balance'' .The entire structure is now heavier with the addition of a large number of balconies. The ducktail makes her ''sit'' in a more stable way.

CENTURY got one added in '06 whehn she was refit with , among others, a whole bunch of balconies.

Matter of fact, if you look quickly, you'll find ex-Mercury looks a lot similar

Cheers

Ducktail An extension to ship’s stern. On older ships the diminished stability

can be regained by adding a ducktail. Ducktail is also used on

newbuildings; there the primary purpose is often to reduce the power

consumption for propulsion

from

http://www.foreship.com/documents/fs-naterms.pdf

Celebrity Mercury Becomes Mein Schiff 2

Werft delivered the refurbished former Celebrity Mercury to TUI Cruises earlier this week, and Saturday (May 14, 2011) it was rechristened Mein Schiff 2 in Hamburg. This video shows the ship's "feel-good" (according to the line) christening (in German,..

from

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/2011/05/celebrity-mercury-becomes-mein-schiff-2.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CndsCruiseblogger+%28CND%27s+Cruiseblogger%29

With Video

As usual, very good links; thanks for sharing.

It's nice to see an icon in the German music industry, is ''connected'' with TUI, James Last.

Cheers

James Last (also known as "Hansi", born Hans Last on 17 April 1929 in Bremen) is a German composer and big band leader. His "happy music" made his numerous albums best-sellers in Germany and the United Kingdom. His composition Happy Heart became an international success in interpretations by Andy Williams and Petula Clark.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Last

One of the most drastic changes was the transformation of the beautiful Navigators Observation Lounge and Bar to a gigantic gym with exercise machines. A real travesty if you ask me! :(:(:(

before.jpg

after.jpg

The horror! The horror!

The horror! The horror!

Not as horrible, but slightly butchered. One-third of the Navigators Lounge was turned into a gym, the other 2/3's a lounge for Suite Guests called the xLounge (port side) and the middle part into a nightclub:

xlounge.jpg

merlounge.jpg

before.jpg

after.jpg

The horror! The horror!

Whoops, double post. Cruise Critic gremlins at work again.

That said, I am another one of those sailors who never sets foot in the gymnasium. They had the right the idea on the QE2: Relegate the gym to the bowels of the ship, in a room without a view.

I was going to post this the other night as I was curiously looking around TUI site. There are a few videos on *Mein Schiff TV* that you can view of the Mercury. I read German much better than I speak it, but they were fun to watch.

http://meinschiff.tv/2011/03/09/folge-123-die-letzte-fahrt-der-mercury/

http://meinschiff.tv/2011/03/16/folge-124-ubernahme-der-mercury/

http://meinschiff.tv/2011/03/30/folge-126-die-ankunft-der-mercury-in-der-werft/

http://meinschiff.tv/ (there are a few more on their website of the Mercury makeover to Mein Schiff 2)

Archived