New to River Cruising

arby70

I actually never had heard of river cruising before seeing this board. Now that I am aware of it, I have been researching different lines (Viking, Uniworld, Avalon, Peter Dielman, etc.) and find it very intriguing. It would be a wonderful way to see Europe and China; only unpacking once, not having to worry about the food or water, and I'm sure it would be very calm cruising as well. I kind of like the lines that include excursions. Also they seem to spend more time in port so you can experience more of the country. I have also found another cruise line called American Cruise Lines. They cover the entire U.S. east coast and do cruise many of it's rivers from Maine to Florida. It also looks absolutely great! I am still putting daughters through college, so I am not quite able to swing any of these great looking cruises yet, and am more than content to go on the more affordable bigger cruise ships at this point. Once I can better afford some of these other cruises, I hope very much to experience them. :)

Hello,

I can only highly recommend river cruises!! It´s a slow and calm way of travelling but you also see a lot as the scenery is changing everytime. And there´s no risk of nausea :) . Riverboats are much smaller than cruise ships and you soon feel like being in a big family. We love to explore the US by riverboat (exspecially as we´re steamboat buffs). There a quite a lot of river cruises all over the US, like the Delta Queen Steamboat Company, Riverbarges Excursion, American West Steamboat Company (which´s is also doing Alaska), Great American River Cruises, American Cruise Lines. Have a look on the River & Canal section on this website and you´ll find a lot more. Exploring my own country by riverboat is still on my list but it seems to be easier to fly to the US than do a vacation in you own country :) .

steamboats

• 11 months later...

Arby:

We will be sailing on the Empress of the North (American West Cruise Line) in about a week up the Columbia/Snake Rivers. I'm VERY excited!!! ALL of the excursions are included AND what you miss by traveling at night, they promise you will see on the way back down. Everyone I talk to says we will LOVE it. I hope to post a review upon our return, but after being on a couple of ocean cruises, I'm ready for a change. I also hope to do Europe next year by river.

SLOduck

SLO duck,

I´m sure you will love the Empress of the North! We´ve done an Alaska cruise last year (see review linked in my signature) and this was really the best cruise I´ve ever made. Food is more than outstanding, all fresh products, fresh baked rolls and pastries.... The Columbia River is offering a great scenery and it´s really fascinating how the scenery is changing along the river. We´ve done that cruise also last year on the Columbia Queen which is unfortunately out of service again as all websites are down. But you can get an impression by reading my review of the CQ and combine it with our Alaska cruise on the Empress.

I bought a book on our CQ cruise (no sure if I bought it on the boat or in the Columbia River Maritime Museum at Astoria, but it´s available at Amazon too) and I´m just reading it. It´s a great reading:

Bill Gulick: Steamboats on Northwest Rivers (published 2004 by www.caxtonpress.com)

Another great book, but hard to find:

Randall V. Mills: Sternwheelers Up Columbia (originally published in 1947, reprinted as paperback edition in 1977)

Enjoy your cruise!

steamboats

Steamboats:

Thanks for your vote of confidence. I have heard NOTHING but great things, so my anticipation level is quite high!!! I'll just be glad to get out of dodge and be pampered for a week!!!

I'll have to check out your website and those books. Sounds very interesting!!

Thanks again!!

SLOduck

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, SLO duck....

When you're rested up after your cruise on the Columbia River, be sure to post a trip report on this site! My husband and I have looked at these trips and are considering taking one for this fall. We're waiting for your report before booking! LT

• 1 month later...

We are doing our first river cruise June 12 on Uniworld with three other couples. Has anyone done Waterways of Holland & Brussels? We have done 18 regular cruises but never a river cruise...sounds fascinating, especially stopping right in the towns. Tours are also included in the price as well as flights!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Archived