Capnpugwash is on the QM2 to New York, May 10 2011

capnpugwash

Hi Capn, Thanks for the heads up for the referb, nice to know the cabins are going to get a face lift.

Will be onboard June 2012, will look forward to see what happens to the Winter Garden, everytime I passed through there it was practically empty.

Catherine

Cap'n

Did your mate John Duffy mention a proposal, I have heard as a rumour, to stagger the dining arrangements in the Britannia Restaurants on Cunard ships as follows?

1st Early Sitting 5.30 pm

1st Late Sitting 6.30 pm

2nd Early Sitting 7.30 pm

2nd Late Sitting 8.30 pm

Am enjoying your splendid blogs!

Cap'n

Did your mate John Duffy mention a proposal, I have heard as a rumour, to stagger the dining arrangements in the Britannia Restaurants on Cunard ships as follows?

1st Late Sitting 6.30 pm

2nd Late Sitting 8.30 pm

Thanks very much but no, he didn't mention that. I would think that it would be very complicated to operate even if it were done table by table. I like the 7.30 idea though. :)

Cap'n

1st Late Sitting 6.30 pm

2nd Late Sitting 8.30 pm

I think that would be good if it did happen.

Catherine

Thanks very much but no, he didn't mention that. I would think that it would be very complicated to operate even if it were done table by table. I like the 7.30 idea though. :)

We like the idea of 7.30 as well. We tend to book Britannia Club because 6.30 is too early and 8.30 is too late. Thus we avoid QV (no Britannia Club) unless we can go in PG which we did earlier this year.

The 'rumour', but I think it is a bit more than that. This morning I booked a QM2 for September and was asked by the independent agent whether we wanted early or late 1st sitting. Then she hesitated and said I better check that 'cos I missed the Cunard teach-in about it. Then I was told it might be QE and QV initially and didn't apply to QM2 in September.

A good talking point with JD if you bump into him again.

That would be a half hour less time between sittings than there is now. As we've frequently been subtly shooed out of the dining room after 8:10 so they can turn the tables for second seating I think it might rush the first seating a bit...

When we went on RC's Brilliance in the Mediterranean they operated a very similar system for dinner- 4 sittings- it did mean that people were walking in and out of dinner at all times and past our table which was near the door but otherwise it worked well. The Spanish onboard mainly took the 9 pm sitting of course.

That would be a half hour less time between sittings than there is now. As we've frequently been subtly shooed out of the dining room after 8:10 so they can turn the tables for second seating I think it might rush the first seating a bit...

I'd agree. Everyone will opt for the 7.30 pm sitting. Although 8.30 pm is a bit late, we do always go for it, as is enable us to have a full day on shore or doing things on the ship, we can get a couple of cocktails and some chat in before dinner, and after dinner, you let your food go down by watching a show, or going to the pub for a quiz or having a spot of dancing. We don't get up that early, so a late dinner is ok by us. I cant see anyone wanting to eat at 5.30 pm though!!!

Update No 30 Final.

I had an early breakfast and went to the Connexions to access the internet and then off to the spa. A couple of hours later I was sat in the relaxation area which overlooks the promenade deck. The rain was pouring down and there were only two very keen joggers still running over the soaking wet teak planking. After a very welcome cup of Darjeeling tea and a cooling glass of water the rain eased and the walkers re-emerged from wherever they had been hiding and within minutes the deck was teeming with them as they trudge around and around.

The sea is dark battleship grey and the sky is leaden, it is really not what you would expect for a spring day, assuming that this weather is the same as in England, the rain is very welcome as our garden at home is very dry. It might be welcome there but I would much prefer that it wasn’t raining here.

We only have 330 nautical miles left, so we are well within the western approaches to the English Channel and fairly soon will enter the traffic separation lanes as we continue on our eastbound track. Thankfully we are now back on UK time so we don’t have to make any further time adjustments.

When I got back to my cabin, the steward had laid out the protective sheet on the bed so that luggage laid on it won’t mark the duvet. I took the hint and have started loading my case and clearing the wardrobes and drawers in the cabin. What a dismal way to spend a couple of hours! I put some last minute laundry in this morning for same day service so that will enable me to return home with only a couple of items that need washing, all the shirts are clean and ready for the next time.

We have just had the noon announcement by the Captain, he reports that we are 100 miles away from Lands End and should arrive in Southampton on time tomorrow. He pointed out that The Lizard in Cornwall is the southernmost point of the UK; he also shared his view that the best Cornish Pasties are available in that area at Auntie’s Pasty Shop. In the interest of fairness and impartiality, I must inform you that pasties are also available from other sources in that area and that they should be heated thoroughly prior to consuming them. 

Unless something dramatic happens this afternoon this will be my last post on this trip, it has been a very special one for me with the visit to the bridge and docking in Manhattan. Dinner with the Captain and with John Duffy has also made it very memorable as has Roger Daltrey’s pub gig and all the very nice people who I have met in the last 14 days. It is a real treat for me to do back to back TAs and I feel very fortunate to be able to do so. I thank you all for reading my posts and I do hope that you have enjoyed sharing the experiences with me. Your kind and supportive comments continue to encourage me. Finally, thank you all so very much.

Fin.

Thank you for posting your experiences and thoughts of your journey with us. I've had a few chuckles along the way and am envious you got to see Roger Daltrey.

I see you have more TA's coming up next month so it won't be long until you're back onboard.

The weather is windy and wet in parts of the UK today but set to be fine tomorrow.

Thanks so much Cap'n for your very entertaining blogs. As we are on the WB TA from Hamburg June 1st, it really elevated my anticipation level. Although I havn't started to pack, I'm excited to know that once again I will be enjoying the QM's excellent service and just to be at sea is such a thrill. My DH plans to read and sleep a lot, which isn't a bad plan. I thought I might try the champagne tasting, as you made it sound like great fun. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone at the CC meet and greet. Hope to see you then, and enjoy the rest of your time on board.

Linda

Another delightful voyage shared with you. I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts, as always and am looking forward to the future ones as well. Hopefully, we will also share a voyage one day. I share your feelings on packing. It is one of the worst things about a voyage, to my way of thinking.

Enjoyed reading your posts capn. It was even better meeting up on the westbound leg. Pleasure chatting with you. Look forward to reading about your next adventures and hopefully meeting onboard QM2 again at some point.

Rob

Update No 30 Final.

When I got back to my cabin, the steward had laid out the protective sheet on the bed so that luggage laid on it won’t mark the duvet. I took the hint and have started loading my case and clearing the wardrobes and drawers in the cabin. What a dismal way to spend a couple of hours! I put some last minute laundry in this morning for same day service so that will enable me to return home with only a couple of items that need washing, all the shirts are clean and ready for the next time.

Poor you - Why bother unpacking!:D

Another fabulous blog - Thanks from all your followers.

Safe home

A

Update No 30 Final.

Poor you - Why bother unpacking!:D

Another fabulous blog - Thanks from all your followers.

Safe home

A

Hi capn & Conniedoug

When I return to the cabin on that last day and get a glimpse of that protective sheet, I usually go back out and get another drink to stave off the deep depression (for a little while at least). Thanks Capn for the wonderful blog. I really love the daily description of the sea state and wind conditions. Makes me feel as if I am there with you. :D

Conniedoug: If you are sailing towards the Big Apple , look me up.I'll think of somewhere to take you. HeHe I was over by the Marriott Marquis last week and I thought of you :cool:.

Denise

Denise

I'm glad everyone likes the photos. I had such a great time and miss the ship now. It was my first crossing and think I'm hooked. Back to living vicariously through Jim!

I did not bring a dog on but was missing my dog so was happy to spend some time with them!

Rob

Loved your pictures Rob

Sorry if you didn't get warned about how easy it is to get hooked on these crossings. I have done 3 and not so patiently waiting for the 4th in October. I am working up to doing a B2B...possibly with my dog.

Denise

Thank you, Capn., for you recent postings while aboard the QM2. For two weeks, in my mind's eye, I was once again walking the teak wood decks of the pride of the Cunard fleet. What a joy, and it didn't cost a dime!

Final posting

We arrived promptly and I was off by 7.15. One little thing that was very irritating was that on the last night, the steward left an empty envelope on the bed with two chocolates. Clearly this is a solicitation for a tip which I actually found quite offensive and absolutely unnecessary. Not very Cunard I thought. That is it for now.

Final posting

We arrived promptly and I was off by 7.15. One little thing that was very irritating was that on the last night, the steward left an empty envelope on the bed with two chocolates. Clearly this is a solicitation for a tip which I actually found quite offensive and absolutely unnecessary. Not very Cunard I thought. That is it for now.

If i was going to leave a tip i sure would not after that.

Archived