Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hi there,

I live in Halifax and I see the cruise ships in all the time in the summer months. I have a question for the people who have cruised here: What do you all think about Halifax? Just curious, be honest!!!

Ok...I didn't cruise to Halifax. We took the CAT over (a couple years ago out of Bar Harbor) and we LOVED it!

I would go back in a heartbeat.

I actually think it would be fun to book a Canada/New England cruise...my DH thinks I'm insane...but I really would have liked our trip to Nova Scotia better had we done it by ship. We took our car on the ferry and jumped around from Hotel to B&B....it's a PITA packing up and relocating every two days. I wouldn't do that again. I'd definitely cruise next time :)

We spent a good amount of time in the Citadel, did our own little Pub Crawl, walked around, enjoyed the scenery and just had a fabulous couple days.

Halifax wasn't all that different than Portland, ME...which is my absolute favorite city :)...only a lot more 'hilly'

I imagine people who live and work in Halifax have some HUGE calves!! :eek:

LOL!!

We were in Halifax last October via cruise ship and loved it. We loved walking along the boardwalk and being able to see the starfish laying on the ocean floor. The little tugboat that looks like a little boy is just adorable. We had to send a postcard back home of him. Halifax was my favorite. We will be back someday.

We were there on a cruise almost two years ago and had a very nice day.

Visited Maritime museum and really enjoyed it. Rainy day so we went back to the ship early but would definitely like to come back.

quaint, with spectacular views.

our first visit, we were floored when a town cryer came out, followed by the bagpipers. we were quite impressed.

somwhow, i was quite intrigued with the train station right there at the dock. we walked over and found some scene from a popular soap opera being filmed there. we made our way back to the city walk, making our way into "town", and then up the hill to the citadell. everyone we "met" along the way was so friendly.

the views from up there were amazing. a trip to the titanic exhibit was just over the top for me. have never made it to the cemetary.

i was very glad to make the trek out to the lighthouse. the tour guide gave us the whole history of your "little" town, all of which i knew nothing.

i'm not really a flea market person, so i didn't really spend too much time in the pier shops.

always sad when we pull away to the lone piper.

i was very disappointed when carnival changed their 4 day itinerary, swapping halifax with saint john. in fact, when i booked and sailed, i didn't even know!

I also loved it, The local people were so friendly. When I was there last summer they were having a street fair. I would definitely go again. The ports were so safe my teens loved the freedom I gave them to walk around without us.

Halifax and St. John are both good ports. The people are friendlier than Carribbean ports and shore excursions are not necessary. There is a lot to do within walking distance of the ship. Just don't expect to work on your sun tan.

I loved it... My husband and I have decided to retire there (in our dreams) Halifax & St John's had the friendliest people I have ever met. Went last Sept for the "changing of the leaves" got to see one yellow tree :). The weather was warmer than when we left Florida lol. We both want to go back (without a cruise) and just stay for a week or so... It was beautiful.

Hi there,

I live in Halifax and I see the cruise ships in all the time in the summer months. I have a question for the people who have cruised here: What do you all think about Halifax? Just curious, be honest!!!

I have not had the pleasure of visiting Halifax yet. I will however have that pleasure on the Sept 24 Carnival Glory cruise. I am so looking forward to it. This has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Please let me know what are some of the must sees and if they are walkable are will I need to hire a taxi/tour guide.

I am traveling solo and am having to watch my pennies so hopefully I will be able to accomplish many things of my bucket list.

Thanks for your help.

Hi there,

I have not had the pleasure of visiting Halifax yet. I will however have that pleasure on the Sept 24 Carnival Glory cruise. I am so looking forward to it. This has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Please let me know what are some of the must sees and if they are walkable or will I need to hire a taxi/tour guide.

I am traveling solo and am having to watch my pennies so hopefully I will be able to accomplish many things on my bucket list.

Thanks for your help.

Hi there,

I went there for my first cruise and it looked beautiful. I want to go back because on that particular cruise I didn't enjoy it whatsoever:o

We did the horseback riding excursion & long story short, the horse smashed his head into the back of my face and threw me off on my back-got a nice concussion & fat lip/bruised face (it looked like it was dirty lol).

Then a huge storm came (signs were blowing around and everything) and I finally hobbled my way onto the ship to relax in my cabin where the bathroom had flooded because a pipe burst while we were gone.

I really want to go back to see Peggy's Cove & get to the Bay of Fundy. :)

I have not been on a cruise to Halifax, but have visited there with my family on summer vacation....you really must try to get to Peggy's Cove. it is so picturesque, and climbing amongst the glorious rocks with the water crashing below is spectacular! Another fun thing to do in Halifax is to visit the Alexander Keith's Brewery, and take a step back in time, and follow Mr. Alexander Keith through his brewery, followed by samples of their amazing beer! A fun way to spend a couple of hours!

I was there in October aboard the Maasdam; this was my second visit to Halifax, with the first one being many years ago. I found the people to be most friendly and our tour guide extremely well informed and gracious. I spent some time at Pier 21, the Immigration Muesum and really enjoyed that. The tour included the Maritime Museum as well as Fairview Cemetery. At both sites, I learned some things that I did not know before. My only complaint was that we did not have enough time in port. The ship sailed at 4:00 P. M., with the tour arriving back at the pier late enough that we had to embark the ship right away.

I hope to return soon for another visit.

We have been on 4 cruises to your area. We really loved it and look forward to going again. The people are so friendly and there are no mob scenes of vendors rushing in, overwhelming the cruisers to buy their wares. Peggy's Cove is so pretty! We also went to the Bay of Fundy and must say, the sight of that wall of water flooding into the bay was quite spectacular. The Titanic exhibits and cemetary are so sad, esp. seeing fresh flowers and the toys on the childrens' graves.

Hi,

We sailed on the Triumph in the summer of 2009 and really enjoyed the port and the town. We walked around and visited the Maritime Museum. The people were so friendly. We are returning this summer on the Carnival Glory and I can't wait. I am currently reading a book about the explosion in the early part of the century in Halifax so I am hoping I will be able to picture some of the areas described in the book and see for myself.

Dot

I love Halifax. I wish Carnival would offer a cruise to just Halifax and back out of NY like they do St John. i would do it in a heartbeat.

:D

Carnival's 4-day used to be Halifax instead of Saint John - we did that itinerary in 2006. I love both ports, but Halifax has so much you can do within walking distance of the pier that only once in our four visits (#5 coming up in July - I'm on the same cruise as Brighton Line) have I booked an excursion. Both Halifax and Saint John are the friendliest ports we've visited.

If you like crystal, don't miss Nova Scotian Crystal right on the waterfront. The glassblowers demonstrate their craft and there is a nice shop showcasing their patterns. We started collecting the Annapolis pattern.:cool:

My husband and I are going for the 3rd time this summer and we do enjoy Halifax. First time we went to Peggy's Cove and thought it was so pretty and 2nd time we went on a bike tour through the city. We loved the parks and lovely homes. This time we'll be bringing our son on his first cruise. He'll be 1 at the time we sail and we're planning to take a long walk around the boardwalk.

Perhaps you would know...Is there a really good place for lobster rolls? Thanks!

Archived