Princess Mendenhall Glacier tour and Orca Enterprises tour -- timing?

Kellie in Texas

In Juneau, we have the 3:30-7:00 Orca Enterprises whale-watching tour reserved. I want to do the Princess Mendenhall Glacier tour, which is 12:15-2:45. From the description, it sounds like the Princess tour will end very near the Orca pick-up point. Orca wants us to check in at 3:00. Is that timing going to work out okay?

What is this Princess tour??? By air or land?? You can also easily cobook this with Orca Enterprises, saving you at least an hour in transit time.

This timeframe does work, however.

We are doing whale watching w/ Orca in late July. We also booked transfers to/from Mendenhall. They were very helpful in planning this. We are doing the whale watch first but I would imagine you can work with them to go to the glacier first.

What is this Princess tour??? By air or land?? You can also easily cobook this with Orca Enterprises, saving you at least an hour in transit time.

This timeframe does work, however.

It's the bus tour. All the flight tours are too $$ for us, so I just totally forgot they existed! :)

I just realized that page 2 of our Orca confirmation has a small map of the downtown Juneau area and it looks like the Princess ships dock only two blocks from the Orca office, so I think it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the quick replies.

It's the bus tour. All the flight tours are too $$ for us, so I just totally forgot they existed! :)

I just realized that page 2 of our Orca confirmation has a small map of the downtown Juneau area and it looks like the Princess ships dock only two blocks from the Orca office, so I think it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ok, I am going to ask more. What kind of tour is this?? If a city drive by, and a few stops, a local company does an excellent tour similar to this tour, with a stop at Mendenhall Glacier, Chapel on the Lake, Douglas Island etc for about 1/2 the cost of the cruisetours. Pick up is across the street from Orca Enterprises.

IF you just want to get to Mendenhall, you don't need any "tours". Plenty to see and do there, and the "tours" do not allow you a lot of time at the glacier, at most, it is 45 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Hi budget queen,

Can you recommend a Juneau sightseeing tour for elderly people. My parents would like to see the City highlights and Mendenhall Glacier. Thanks for your information.

My 2 cents on this one is do the Orca and add on the Mendenhall. They will drop you off near the vistor's center. If you get to do it after 7pm its a bigger plus as the crowds will be gone and the trails you'll have almost all to yourself. The downside is you have no other options if you want to linger but the Orca shuttle which came back and picked us up spot on 45' after the dropped us off so we felt a bit rushed.

Unless there is something really special on the Princess big bus shuttle I can't imagine it being a better value, and it will certainly be less time efficient.

In Juneau, we have the 3:30-7:00 Orca Enterprises whale-watching tour reserved. I want to do the Princess Mendenhall Glacier tour, which is 12:15-2:45. From the description, it sounds like the Princess tour will end very near the Orca pick-up point. Orca wants us to check in at 3:00. Is that timing going to work out okay?

Agree with the previous poster. I'd suggest canceling the Princess tour and either

1. book the Mendenhall glacier portion with Orca. They do an add on of the glacier.

or if timing with Orca does not work out,

2. get off the ship and buy the round trip blue bus transportation to the glacier, then return and go on the Orca Whale watch.

Hi budget queen,

Can you recommend a Juneau sightseeing tour for elderly people. My parents would like to see the City highlights and Mendenhall Glacier. Thanks for your information.

MGT, does a great job on the Juneau tours, usually at significant discounts compared to ship tours. They are available for walk up purchase at dock booths.

I am assuming there are no mobility issues with getting on a school bus, and some walking?

Archived