Are 3,4,5 Day Cruises To Short?????

ILUVCRUIZN

My DH and I are going on a cruise in December and that is to FAR away. We have only done 7 day cruises, so I was thinking about doing a shorter one just to break up the time and suprise him, so I am looking for just a couple of answers to probably some stupid questions.... Any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated!!!!

Did you have as much fun on the shorter one as you did on the seven day???

Did the time go by way to fast since it is a shorter cruise???

Would you do another one????

Thanks for the input!!!!!

The first time we cruised with out kids we took a shorter cruise just to make sure it would be something they would enjoy. Nothing worse than being stuck on a ship for 7 nights with miserable sick kids. Anyways, they ended up loving the whole experience so now we dont go for less than 7 nights.

To answer your question though I prefer the longer cruises for a few reasons.

1) You can unpack and dont have to live out of a suitcase.

2) It takes your DR crew a couple of days to learn your likes and dislikes so as soon as they figure you out, its time to get off the ship with only a few days.

3) I feel rushed and cant relax because I know it will be over before I know it.

4) You dont get to meet as many new people or see as many ports.

Of course, if I could only take a short cruise its better than no cruise.

My DH and I are going on a cruise in December and that is to FAR away. We have only done 7 day cruises, so I was thinking about doing a shorter one just to break up the time and suprise him, so I am looking for just a couple of answers to probably some stupid questions.... Any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated!!!!

We used to do only 7 day cruises, when we first started cruising. Once you start doing longer cruises, you can't go back to 7. Just is too short.

If you don't have the time, then a shorter cruise is better than nothing.

Minette

My first and only cruise was a 4 night. It was just to short we had a great time and did not want it to end. We visited a port every day so we did not get to experience the at sea day. We are now booked on a 7 night I am sure we are going to like that much better.

Currently I am stacked with the following cruises:

Volendam - 10 day

Oosterdam - 7 day

Paradise - 3 day

Coral Princess - 10 day

Even a weekend cruise is better then being at home.

Need I say More?

Steve Hayes

I guess the one difference I saw was in the behavior of quite a number of the passengers on the shorter cruises. They were shoving 7 days of fun into only 3 or 4 days so things tended to get a bit rowdy. I just think if I have to go through the hassle of packing and flying 4 or more hours to get to a port, I will want more than just a few days. But, if I lived close to a port, it would be a different story.

We have taken several 4 day cruises so far, it is the shortest we have been on. But, we also live only an hour away from the Port of Los Angeles, so it's no big deal to get there. I would say 3 or 4 days is too short if you have to fly more than an hour or so. It is a good cruise fix if you don't have a longer cruise booked, or your cruise is far in the future.

The passengers tend to be a bit of a different mix. Many are younger, a lot of first timers, and mostly people who live in the region where the cruise originates. The 3 night weekend cruises (I've heard) tend to be more of a "party" atmosphere than a 7 night. We enjoy the port stops we take, with the exception of the one in Mexico (Ensenada), but then, we just stay onboard and enjoy the ship to ourselves.

Yes, the time flies by faster.

We have done 7- seven day cruises, 2- 8 day cruises and 1- 4 day cruise. I think the shorter ones are too short. It takes you 4 days just to figure out the lay of the ship and start relaxing and then it is time to go home. You are spending all the money on airfare to get to the ship, why not enjoy yourself for a longer amt of time. We now love 8 days instead of 7. That extra day really makes a difference.

We had only taken 7 day cruises up until our first four day. We needed an inexpensive short getaway ( our 7 days usually turn into 10 or 11 days with travel time, etc.) of less than a week and we were able to book the RCI Sovereign of the Seas on a 4 day for less than $300. We decided to try it out. If we had not had at least one sea day it would have felt way to short but since we did have a sea day it turned out to be a very relaxing vacation. Since it was an additional vacation we did not try to cram everything into the four days. We spent shorter hours at the port so that we could spend more time onboard. We thought it was wonderful and have since booked on the new refurbished Sovereign for May; again for less than $300. We pack less, we pack less dressy, fewer shoes and an additional book. Perfect for a first cruise or for a second vacation.

Thanks for all of the great comments..... I still do not know it we are going to go or not!!!! I agree a short cruise is alot better then staying home, but we live in Indiana and have to fly more than an hour anywhere we go.... I guess we try it and if we think it was not worth it then we won't do it again.... Decisions, Decision, Decisions!!!!!!

I luvcruizin - why the shorter cruise? To save time or to save money?

I know what you mean, we are booked on a 10 day in Dec and have just added a 7-day in Sept. In Sept, we are driving from Pittsburgh to NYC and I've booked an inside guarantee. This is sort of a low-budget week-away to help us get over waiting until December. Anyway, the reason I asked is that if you have to fly, it's just as expensive for a 4 day as a 7 day; I'd look for a cheaper 7 day than any 4 day because I think anything less is too short. I'm with those who say anything less than 10 days is too short, but as I said, this is just a quick getaway while I'm waiting for the big cruise in Dec.

I too am booked on a 7 day for Alaska in Sept. and I could not wait so we booked a 4 night Baja for May. We did a 4 night in Nov. to Bahamas. I personally like the 4 night because my vacation time from work is 1 week at a time. On a 7 day cruise I have to work the day before I leave and go back to work the day after I get home. With the 4 night I have a day or so before and a day or so after, so this gives me time to wind down. I will not ever stop cruising 7 day itineraries but only once a year the other cruises will be short ones.

The reason for the shorter trip is because DH and I do not get alot of vacation time and the 7 day turns into and 8 or 9 day depending on when we go and return home. So there is hardly anymore vacation time left. We are a younger couple and have a lot of working years ahead of us unfortunately...

I love to try and take at least 2 vacations a year but we have to compromise on one of them, like only doing a 4 or maybe a 5 day cruise.

Maybe it is not cost efficient enough to do the 4 or 5 day cruise and we might go somewhere else. Who knows.....

yes a short cruise is short.. I mean that you just start to relax and poof.. vacation all gone. That said we do a couple short cruises a year because it is easier to get a sitter. I love them.. I would say take it.. I would also say get massages and stuff to make the most of them

My first (and so far only) cruise was a 4 night cruise. Was it too short? On the contrary, to me it seemed too long. I found out the hard way I'm a port person - those days at sea are simply endless. And not in a good way. Though I'm not sure what I would have done had we been in a port on that last day, as I came down with a cold!

I just like to do more active stuff on my vacations, I guess. Walking around Catalina and Ensenada were fine and I enjoyed myself. Being at sea with hairy men's chest contests, ice sculptures, and expensive bingo just weren't my thing.

It really comes down to what you like, though. If you like spending time onboard ship, then you would like it. If not, then no.

For me, to really enjoy the shipboard experience, that's too short. But taking into consideration, maybe yes, maybe no. If you can drive over to the ship, park, take a "mini-cruise" and go home, fine. If you are vacationing in an area and want to combine a nice little cruise into it, fine. I would NOT however, say, fly to Flordia on Thursday, take a weekend cruise, and fly home on return. The getting to/from is just too much of a hassle to put up with for a 3-4 day cruise.

Of course the 7 day cruises are great because they are longer.. but the shorter cruises are just as fun... We have been on 4, 5 and 7 day cruises and I will admit I wished the 4 day cruise was a little longer, but it was relaxing all the same.. Our next cruise is a 5 day cruise

Well ofcourse 7 days is better. I like you, though can not afford both vacation time and money to do two 7 days cruises a year. Usually we do just one cruise a year though I guess about every other year we do a mini cruise.

This is my take-3 days is TOO SHORT-it seems you have just embarked and you are now debarking. 4 days does seem better. So I prefer a 4 day. I have not done a 5 day yet. One reason is it seems the 5 days goes up enough in price it is like why not do a 7 day instead. But the 3 and 4 days are a lot cheaper then 7 days. You can get them often for under $300 a person. Almost always for less then $400 unless you have booked a suite.

One thing though I have noticed on the shorter cruises is you do run into more of the "hard partiers"-some feel this is because you run into more of the blue collar class on these shorter cruises. I am not sure if it is that or that people feel because the cruise is shorter- they have to fill in 7 days worth of fun in 3 or 4 days. I experienced this both On Sovereign of the Seas and Carnival Tropicale. But both of those ships were older bargain priced ships.

have been on 2 7-night cruises and booked our first 5 nighter for a pre-holiday cruise.......get back on Christmas eve - driving distance from port........get to enjoy the waters of the caribbean and then home for my Christmas tree and fried turkey.........life is grand........:)

Archived