Which itinerary would you pick?

Looking at next April/May with kids 9 and 12. We've never been to Caribbean. Mostly looking for R&R. The 12 year old might be in for zip lining or snorkeling or something but the 9 year old wouldn't be. DH says he prefers Eastern, has no interest in Mexico, so not sure how Jamaica would work out, but it is a night longer.

Liberty 7 night

Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Freedom 8 night

Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Ocho Rio, Grand Cayman

Valor 8 night

St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau

Looking at next April/May with kids 9 and 12. We've never been to Caribbean. Mostly looking for R&R. The 12 year old might be in for zip lining or snorkeling or something but the 9 year old wouldn't be. DH says he prefers Eastern, has no interest in Mexico, so not sure how Jamaica would work out, but it is a night longer.

Liberty 7 night

Freedom 8 night

Valor 8 night

Did that Liberty itinerary this past January and it was awesome.

Contemplating that Valor itinerary for our next cruise for November of 2012.

Not thrilled with that Freedom itinerary because I am not a fan of Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman is just "meh" to me.

I like the one with Tortola but that's cuz our snorkeling was amazing.

I thiink the kids would love St Thomas but not sure about San Juan. I have not been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay.

My kids both loved Grand Caymen. They were about those ages when they were there.

Really didn't help, did I?

Aleece

My wife and I sailed on the 8 day Valor cruise you are looking at and we had a great time on it. We will be doing the Liberty cruise this October. I would say either of them would be a great time. Me myself I would take kids to Jamaica, but that is just me. It is a beautiful place to visit and see, but the people are a little different there.

Did the Liberty cruise a year or two ago and doing it again this fall. It would get my vote.

Half Moon Cay is awesome

San juan is great kids can get a bit of a history lesson as well.

Grand Turk was nice, we rented the golf carts and zoomed or I should say puttered around the island but this time we are just hangingout at Margarittaville:D

St Thomas is nice as well, shopping close to port, we have done tours and just got to the beach a few times.

Just my own opinion here of course, Grand Caymen is one of my least favourte ports, just really don't find alot to do there, went to the Turtle farm and toured the island but mostly we just walk around a bit to get off the ship for a bit but then head back to the ship to enjoy the pool on the ship with most people gone;)

I have not heard alot about Jamacia except the vendors and such are quite aggressive but then I have friends who go there every year and love it but they stay on the resort.

Nassau, only been there once Ithink they have some nice beaches and have been to the straw market but just on the outside never gone it. Had some great nachos and salsa at Senor Frogs

Have not been to Tortola or Antiguaso no personal opinions about this one.

These of course are just my own opinion not ment to offend.

Either way just have a great time!!!!!!!

Thanks - We had been leaning toward Liberty, but the others have some interesting points. Prices would be about the same as we would book family ocean view on Liberty and I think there are still 4 person porthole rooms left on the other. Freedom leaves from Fort Lauderdale where the others from Miami.

The Freedom Aruba (not mentioned above) itinerary also might work, though is cutting it close for DH with exam time (giving/grading not taking), but that one has Dominican Republic on it which we are nervous about (close to someone who had a very bad experience there). I plan to try a snorkel boat trip this summer in Hawaii to see how it goes. DS won't get in the water but as long as he enjoys the boat part, it'll be ok.

I like the one with Tortola but that's cuz our snorkeling was amazing.

I thiink the kids would love St Thomas but not sure about San Juan. I have not been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay.

My kids both loved Grand Caymen. They were about those ages when they were there.

Really didn't help, did I?

Aleece

Aleece, can you let me know which snorkeling tour you did in Tortola? Thanks.

Since you've never been to any of the ports, I would

• look at the available shore excursions and see which ports have the most adventures that "float your boat".
  • Look at the port forums for feedback on the ports.

I doubt you will have a bad time on any of the above.

I've been to a few of the ports listed but not the exact itineraries you are thinking of. I love Jamaica. That being said, you always want to stick in a group (as in more than two people) especially if leaving immediate port area. Now, this is coming from someone who went on a few cruises in a dance group, so we were always pretty much young girls. Take it for what it's worth. But I honestly believe that Jamaica's Dunn's River Falls is amazing and if you have the opportunity to see or climb it you should definitely consider that. I agree with most posters about Grand Cayman, I can take it or leave it. Swimming with Sting Rays last year was pretty cool but for the snorkeling part the water was really rough and I swallowed and then threw up far too much sea water. It was very pretty though and the area is overall beautiful. San Juan is another that I personally can take or leave. I know my cousins both absolutely love it though. I enjoyed it but it's not at the top of my list to definitely go back to. St Thomas is gorgeous. I love the water there. We went to the Top of the World and had banana daiqueries. They were a little strong but tasty. We wanted to see Magen's Bay but we had some bad weather chasing us so it was closed. We could see it from Top of the World though and it is absolutely beautiful from that view.

Now, as far as the ships and home ports go, the Valor is my favorite ship I've been on. I love the theming (I am sure this doesn't weigh heavily on your list of pros and cons but hey, I'll offer an opinion and you can ignore it if you prefer to). It is all Americana themed and it's really very neat the way they have it done. Also, I can't speak to the Ft Lauderdale port but I've sailed out of Miami twice and I've had very easy experiences both times. Friendly, knowledgable staff and a fairly speedy check in and boarding process.

Over all, I would choose the 8-day Valor. But no matter what, a cruise is what you make it. Pick one and go have fun. :D

Liberty 7 night

Freedom 8 night

Valor 8 night

We were looking at these similiar options but ended up booking the slightly higher priced southern on the Miracle. Not sure if this was an option but St Lucia has awesome ziplining. Originally we had decided on the Liberty. We also like the fort lauderdale port better than Miami.

Based on the 3 above i'd pick the Freedom. You would get an extra day, HMC is a wonderful day at the beach--beautiful there, haven't been to GT but really want to go here, OR has a great dunn river falls walking up the falls excursion--I think the kids would love this, and not the biggest fan of GC but my parents love the beach here. I have also heard the sting ray excursion is pretty cool. We find San Juan boring and we really dislike Nassau. I have not been to Antigua or Tortola also--on my list to see.

I know you said Eastern but we actually prefer western Costa Maya is our favorite free beach day (other than HMC, Cozumel has either mr sanchos or Nachi for a fabulous AI beach day, and Roatan is my all time favorite island to visit--book a tour with Bodden Tours and the boys can hang out with monkey's (if they like this sort of thing we thought it was so cool!) and you can't beat the pricing for this tour.

Looks like the April 21 Liberty has some great prices right now, but the ports are Cozumel, Belize, and Grand Cayman.

Is it a problem leaving with the ship departing on Saturday? Lots of us recommend arriving the day before, which means starting on Friday.

You might also look at the RCCL Oasis and Allure -- the mega ships with tons of stuff to do including zip lining.

I just found this --> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1408978

Liberty is going to dry dock before next spring, which is good and might make a difference to you.

Liberty 7 night

Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk You absolutely cannot go wrong with this one!! We've been to all of these ports and they're all fabulous!!

Freedom 8 night

Valor 8 night

Whichever you choose, have a great cruise!!

Note that there is the Carnival Liberty and the RCCL Liberty of the Seas.

Likewise, there is the Carnival Freedom and the RCCL Freedom of the Seas.

I mention this in case you use a travel agent -- to make sure you get the desired ship.

Thanks. The Liberty one is still a favorite. It would be awesome if my OV cabin got a balcony in drydock :) I wish I knew what Miracle was doing as the schedule is not out. I'll probably use a PVP not a TA, as it will make any ES adjustments easier.

I won't worry about whether is is a Saturday or Sunday departure as it's the flights that I'm going to have a pain with so we might have to fly on a Thursday or Friday. While April 21 is closer to my birthday, I don't want to run into conflicts with DHs schedule.

Looks like I'm in the minority in responses you've gotten, but I'd do the intinary with Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. I agree with the advice to stay with a group in Jamacia, but "Oh my gosh", climbing Dunn River Falls is incredible and easy (very family friendly excursion)// first time I did it was when I was around your children's ages -- And it was just soo cool / so unique -- the whole bartering thing in Jamacia in the shops, etc. is also facinating and eye opening to children." And unlike other posters who can take or leave Grand Cayman, if you get a calm day, snorkeling with the Stingrays is such an incredible experience. Touching them and being so close to them is so memorable. If it's rough and you can't do that, the turtle farm is a great backup (always a hit with my kids and extended family). The ports that other poster haven't cared for are my favorite ones and the ones that I think offer the most unique and memorable nature experiences.

You are looking, though, at three great cruise ships with nice itinarys, and you really can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

I've visited all the ports you have listed except Antigua and Tortola. The only port I am not a big fan of is Nassau.:( We just sailed on the Liberty this spring break and it was Awesome!. :D You will have a great time on any of the ships. There is so much to do in every port. You can do as little or as much as you like. Consider cabin price, transportation to the port and any excursions you might take (check out the Ports of Call Board for possibilities) in making your decision. Happy Sailing!

Archived