WARNING for anyone traveling to Puerto Rico-

bodog402

When booking a cruise through Carnival and inquiring about the safety and current murder rate in Puerto Rico, the Carnival agents are directed to inform potential cruise customers that Puerto Rico’s murder rate is due largely to drugs violence only. I believe that this is a false statement that Carnival is telling potential customers as murder is happening to everyone including honest business owners, families and now apparently tourists. Violence towards tourist are rarely mentioned in the lovely brochures that Carnival provides to its customers, and since most Carnival ships arrive into San Juan late in the afternoon and most cruisers will hit the island during night hours, I honestly believe that Carnival should provide more accurate information regarding violence in Puerto Rico directed towards tourist.

With a population of under 4 million people and a murder rate of almost 475 victims this year alone, Puerto Rico is geared up for another blockbuster year and possibly hitting 1000 murders this year.

For anyone possibly thinking about a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico, I strongly suggest that they thoroughly investigate and only choose those areas that will provide security to your families !

We've been to Puerto Rico many times. Never had a problem, never witnessed ANY crime. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've always felt safe walking the streets of Old San Juan. Certainly safer than walking the streets of my local big city.

We've been to Puerto Rico many times. Never had a problem, never witnessed ANY crime. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've always felt safe walking the streets of Old San Juan. Certainly safer than walking the streets of my local big city.

Couldn't have said it any better!!

Oh no! In that case I guess Carnival needs to warn everyone the number of murders that happen regularly in Miami, Tampa, Baltimore, New York, and oh my, even lovly St Thomas. Be real. All San Juan is that it is another American city, like other American cities that have drug problems and violence.

My dear deceased uncle told me on my first visit to New York City when I was 21, if you go out looking for trouble, or even expecting trouble, you may find it. There is a place called Utopia where you do not have to lock your doors, you can leave your running when you run into a store during the cold bitter winter, oh wait, no cold bitter winter. You can leave your house unlocked, no, leave the doors wide open and not worry about anything. Please wake up from the dream. No cruise line affers trips from or to the port of Utopia. It is an unfortunate fact of life. Millions, yes millions, of people travel to Puerto Rico yearly, have a great time, and return home safely.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Do you honestly think that Carnival or any other cruise ship would dock there if they thought their travelers were in danger? I live in NY and NYC statistic is 85,000 violent crimes per year along with 900 murders. That does not stop the city from being the “capitol of the world” millions of people travel there a day. If you use common sense and good judgment you will be fine. Don’t allow yourself to play victim. IF you feel it’s not safe than stay on the boat. I have traveled to Puerto Rico (Old San Juan) and found it safe.

I was in Old San Jaun this past Jan and are heading back this coming Jan. Never once did I feel afraid for my safty.

We flew in the day before and stayed at a small locally owned hotel. We walked the streets at night and again - never feared for our safty. These islands are filled with the nicest people. They are friendly and you feel welcome. They definately give you the feeling that they want you to come back.

You can find crime anywhere - small town USA or Islands. It's everywhere. You just need to be aware of your surroundings.

Do you know how many grizzly murders there have been in Podunk areas of Ohio this past few years ? I won't go into all of the details just google it . But it has been terrible , we have been to San Juan 4 times , the only problem I have ever had was the same guy approaching me 2 different years trying to get money out me to get his " poor father" home Wisconson , I laughed the 2nd time as I recoginized him before he lauched into his long story :eek::):)

Been to Old San Juan 3 times, walked around at night all three times, never felt unsafe, loved the city. I take the same safety precautions

I would anywhere else. I don't walk down dark, deserted alleys or unfamiliar neighborhoods. I've never spent any time in the main part of San Juan so I'm not familiar with what it's like, but all the tourist areas have been pefectly safe. If one uses common sense, they will feel perfectly safe.

When booking a cruise through Carnival and inquiring about the safety and current murder rate in Puerto Rico, the Carnival agents are directed to inform potential cruise customers that Puerto Rico’s murder rate is due largely to drugs violence only. I believe that this is a false statement that Carnival is telling potential customers as murder is happening to everyone including honest business owners, families and now apparently tourists. Violence towards tourist are rarely mentioned in the lovely brochures that Carnival provides to its customers, and since most Carnival ships arrive into San Juan late in the afternoon and most cruisers will hit the island during night hours, I honestly believe that Carnival should provide more accurate information regarding violence in Puerto Rico directed towards tourist.

With a population of under 4 million people and a murder rate of almost 475 victims this year alone, Puerto Rico is geared up for another blockbuster year and possibly hitting 1000 murders this year.

For anyone possibly thinking about a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico, I strongly suggest that they thoroughly investigate and only choose those areas that will provide security to your families !

Sadly, some of the things you say are true. Puerto Rico is going thru the worst of times and statistics do not look good if you compare them to other latin & caribbean zone countries, including Jamaica. I have never seen things this bad for so long and i think everyone that lives here agrees with me, i have seen the poll numbers. This does not mean you have to stay inside the ship, not at all. Just be aware of your surroundings like someone wrote here. One of my co-workers went to Mexico recently and had a great time in Acapulco, and things over there are not easy also. Do not let those statistics ruin your vacation, use common sense, that's all.

I agree. Been there 3 times in the past two years and felt fine each time. Just use common sense and enjoy yourself. San Juan is a beautiful city.

Sadly, some of the things you say are true. Puerto Rico is going thru the worst of times and statistics do not look good if you compare them to other latin & caribbean zone countries, including Jamaica. I have never seen things this bad for so long and i think everyone that lives here agrees with me, i have seen the poll numbers. This does not mean you have to stay inside the ship, not at all. Just be aware of your surroundings like someone wrote here. One of my co-workers went to Mexico recently and had a great time in Acapulco, and things over there are not easy also. Do not let those statistics ruin your vacation, use common sense, that's all.

Not to beat the dead horse , but so is everywhere. Things are tough , I would not wander around Miami late at night , as I not famaliar with it. We felt safe in Fort Lauderdale last year but didnt stay out much past dark or go far from the hotel.

Our first few cruise We wandered all around Cozumel every back street alley and I wouldnt even do that now with the trouble in Mexico.

But once again are you safe anywhere at at anytime probably , can stuff happen maybe . Heck today in the paper a 55 year old woman walks into a tranmission shop here in Columbus and shoots a 60 year old grandma because she was in despair over her car being screwed up by the repair shop they own. :eek:

Thanks for being honest. I have been to San Juan 3 times now. It is my favorite port ( by day). But my last visit, was with carnival at night. The trolley was done for the day, the forts were closed. A local told me to be careful, warning us of the crime. This was in Jan 2011. I couldn't wait to get back to the ship.

I don't understand why carnival has made the decision to visit this port at night ? But next time, daytime........ I am in. Nighttime, I think I wouldn't leave the ship.

La Perla is still the most dangerous section isn't it?

if you are talking about the historic district (''old'' san juan) yes, but it is not as 'dangerous' as it was in the 70's or 80's, things are much quieter and you do not hear much about this place anymore. San Juan is a big city, the historic district is just a tiny part of San Juan.

My dearly departed uncle used to work in Puerto Rico and his apartment complex was in a barbed wire fenced compound with armed guards carrying machine guns, so hmmm. I think there is some truth to what the original poster said. Also, my other uncle cruises alot and has been to Puerto Rico several times and has seen people sell pot to tourist then take their hand and point at the tourist head so the police then come and arrest the tourist leaving the seller alone. That being said, I do believe in all cruise ports, if you just follow the general tourist areas and don't do anything illegal, you are fine. I will ask all my Puerto Rican co workers about it when I go to work this week.

There is truly no safe place on earth!

You need to be aware of your surroundings and not place yourself in the parth of danger. This is a case of where "STREET SMARTS" come into play. Don't be flashing expensive jewelry around ashore, don't openly count your money in public, avoid isolated areas, etc.

This is also not the responsibility of the cruise line but rather the passenger.

Advise stated up above applies to any port, any city.

You could just as easily be a crime victim in your home city.

MARAPRINCE

I can not believe some of the comments that are made on these boards. SJ has 1.3 million people living in it. IT IS A BIG CITY. Crime is like anywhere in the world,you have to be careful. I have traveled to many places in the world and I can say that being in SJ is much better than being in some of the other big cities of the world. As for the person who's uncle worked with barb wire and machine guns, I am sure it was a prison, because nothing like that exists here.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, some of the things you say are true. Puerto Rico is going thru the worst of times and statistics do not look good if you compare them to other latin & caribbean &

My dearly departed uncle used to work in Puerto Rico and his apartment complex was in a barbed wire fenced compound with armed guards carrying machine guns, so hmmm. I think there is some truth to what the original poster said!----

THANKS FOR YOUR HONEST COMMENTS !

UNFORTUNATELY, this board is filled with misinformed posters who while viewing the world through their rose framed glasses believe

that Carnival is really looking at for their own best interest !

As I previously stated, there are many parts of Puerto Rico that are VERY dangerous and much more dangerous than any city in the US that these

"insensato despistado gringo turista" will ever know !

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Fajardo, PR the first week of 2011 with my husband. We were staying at El Conquestador and wandered off property down to the bay area to see all the kayaks leave for the Bio Bay. We stopped at Tommy's restaurant and Tommy actually sat down with us to have a beer with my husband (I have always said that Puerto Ricans were some of the friendliest and kindest people ever! I was raised in the Philly burbs with lots of PR pride around!). It was a Friday night around 5pm and a car pulled up with a plain clothed police woman with a gun strapped to her thigh and a US Military member with an automatic weapon in his camogear. They were doing a foot patrol around the park. We asked Tommy what was up with that, he said "It's not as bad as Mexico yet but there aren't enough police in PR so the military fills in". It was a total deterent to people who may have wanted to do illegal things but it didn't phase me in the least. I felt totally safe that evening. We had a lovely time. Know your surroundings, use common sense and keep your wits about you - meaning don't imbibe on substances that will hinder your mental clarity. Getting lost while drunk is just a robbery waiting to happen ANYWHERE in the world.

As I previously stated, there are many parts of Puerto Rico that are VERY dangerous and much more dangerous than any city in the US that these

"insensato despistado gringo turista" will ever know !

I live in San Juan - have lived here for 15 years. The OP is right about one thing - there are parts of Puerto Rico that are very dangerous. They're called drug "puntos" - areas that are well-known as places where people buy and sell drugs. They tend to be located within public housing projects. The overall murder rate in PR is high - but 99% of those murders involve participants in the drug trade.That being said, the drug dealers are well-armed, and so therefore the police must also be well-armed, which explains the appearance of a few (and it's only a few) officers with assault rifles.

The average cruise ship visitor or tourist will never come anywhere near a punto, and so unless they have an itch to take over another drug dealer's territory during their brief stay in San Juan, their risk of being a victim of crime is negligible - certainly no greater than in any other large metropolitan area in the U.S. or, indeed, the world. Use your common sense and enjoy your stay in San Juan without fear.

Archived