Classical Rome and lunch, comments please.

Jo and Rob

After much deliberation we have decided to go for the Celebrity trip "Classical Rome and lunch" as it seems to be the best one to see the Trevi Fountain and the Coliseum plus time at St Peter's Basilica.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this trip and can tell me about it. There is time for photographs at the Coliseum, am I right in thinking that there is not an opportunity of going in?

The initial description talks about exteriors of St Peter's Basilica but the extended description includes time inside. Is this inlcuded in the price?

I really appreciate any comments. Many thanks.

More than likley you will go in to the Coliseum. Saint Peters does not cost anything but sometimes the line is very long.

The description states that "you will have time to take photographs of its exterior" which I think suggests that we won't unless someone has done the trip and knows otherwise? It depends how much time you get there of course whether there is an option to pay extra and go in. :confused:

I would recommend the tour in Rome. The guiide was excellent and we by passed the queues.

We went into the coliseum which was probably the highlight of the whole trip for me - and that was saying something.

Tom

I would try and hook up with others on your roll call and try a private tour. First, the cost per person with a private company is much less than with the cruise line. Secondly, you can see twice as much when you're touring with 8 people versus 50-60. I think if you took a poll, the majority of experienced travellers would go with a private driver or doing it on your own. Doing it on your own in Rome can be a little dicey as you have to depend on public transportation which in Italy is not always 100% reliable

Nancy

I would try and hook up with others on your roll call and try a private tour. First, the cost per person with a private company is much less than with the cruise line. Secondly, you can see twice as much when you're touring with 8 people versus 50-60. I think if you took a poll, the majority of experienced travellers would go with a private driver or doing it on your own. Doing it on your own in Rome can be a little dicey as you have to depend on public transportation which in Italy is not always 100% reliable

Nancy

We've done Rome on our own a couple of times now, no problems at all with the public transportation. If there IS a strike, which isn't very likely, the ship would probably inform you about it, seeing how a lot of people are doing tours on their own.

On our last cruise, public transport in France was haltet due to strike, and the ship put that in the evening info flyer.

I've written about doing Rome on your own in this thread. Our first on-our-own trip to Rome, we did St. Peter, Colosseum, Pantheon and Trevi - although that leaving no time for a proper sit-down lunch. We probably spent two hours inside the St. Peter, being totally amazed.

Of course, the benefit of a cruiseline organized tour is that you don't have to worry about missing the ship or getting lost, but especially Rome is so easy to do on your own, I would rather save that money for a more unique ship tour in another port.

Nancy

Definitely w/a roll call group or on your own. There is not enough time on a day trip to Rome to do more than grab a paninni at Trevi Fountain. Look for the locals lined up for carry out.

On our first trip we zipped through St. Peter's, took the 110 bus around to Colliseum, wallked through Forum, over to Pantheon (grabbed a quick gelato) and walked back across the bridge to Vatican.

Second trip, same but more time in St. Peters.

Third trip, skipped the bus and walked from St. Peters to Spanish Steps and Trevi, then to Pantheon and back to Vatican.

Little time for lunch, and we had to keep moving on all three occasions.

A day=trip to Rome takes tons of planning. You may want to see the most with an experienced planner on your roll call.

Claire

We have used the subway, the buses and the Hop On Hop Off in Rome with no problems. We downloaded the free 45 min each Rick Steves tours at I-Tunes stores. We downloaded the following: St.Peters, Sistine Chapel, Forum and Coliseum. These tours tell you exactly where to walk and have pictures of each item at each attraction. Taking the train from ship to Rome is very easy with a little planning. Wasting time on an included lunch I wouldn't do.

Hi Jo

I have looked for the trip you are going on ,I dont see any trips by that name on the Celebrity web site. I might be looking in the wrong place.

John

:mad:

This is the trip we are talking about. It is on the port information for our cruise and covers all the things we want to see on a first visit.

Classical Rome with Lunch - CV31

Begin with visit to Trevi Fountain where free time is allocated for photos. Continue by walking to Roman Forum passing by Venice Square, enjoy exterior explanation of Roman Forum. At Coliseum, you'll have time for photographs of its exterior. A lunch with wine will be served in a local restaurant in Rome. After lunch, visit from exterior St. Peter's Basilica. After visit, have free time for shopping in St. Peters Square before return to ship. Note: must walk approx 3 kms over even & cobblestone surfaces, extended periods of standing & 20-30 steps. Strict dress code enforced. See full description for complete notes & important information.

Port/City:

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Dates Offered:

06-Aug-2011

Approx. Duration:

10 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

*Current Price:

Starting from

88.25 Adult (GBP)

60.00 Child (GBP)

0.00 Infant (GBP)

Activity Type:

Shows & Entertainment | Sightseeing and/or City Tours | Cuisine Tours

Activity Level:

We looked into RomeinLimo and they wanted 500euros!! We don't want to take the train as there are about 8 ships in port and we are travelling with young children.

Please stop telling us to do Rome on your own, we have considered it and rejected it so I'd like comments on the trip that we will be doing. ;)

This is the trip we are talking about. It is on the port information for our cruise and covers all the things we want to see on a first visit.

Classical Rome with Lunch - CV31

Begin with visit to Trevi Fountain where free time is allocated for photos. Continue by walking to Roman Forum passing by Venice Square, enjoy exterior explanation of Roman Forum. At Coliseum, you'll have time for photographs of its exterior. A lunch with wine will be served in a local restaurant in Rome. After lunch, visit from exterior St. Peter's Basilica. After visit, have free time for shopping in St. Peters Square before return to ship. Note: must walk approx 3 kms over even & cobblestone surfaces, extended periods of standing & 20-30 steps. Strict dress code enforced. See full description for complete notes & important information.

Port/City:

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Dates Offered:

06-Aug-2011

Approx. Duration:

10 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

*Current Price:

Starting from

88.25 Adult (GBP)

60.00 Child (GBP)

0.00 Infant (GBP)

Activity Type:

Shows & Entertainment | Sightseeing and/or City Tours | Cuisine Tours

Activity Level:

We looked into RomeinLimo and they wanted 500euros!! We don't want to take the train as there are about 8 ships in port and we are travelling with young children.

Please stop telling us to do Rome on your own, we have considered it and rejected it so I'd like comments on the trip that we will be doing. ;)

Comments on the tour above: Skip it. Save your energy.

Additional comments:

Check a local bookstore or on-line for nice photos of above attractions.

Have Italian food aboard the ship.

Claire

I'm going to repeat what you've heard already, skip the tour that you have planned & either get a private tour or do it on your own. In the time the tour has alloted you should be able to go inside all of the sites mentioned, but it sounds like you're just seeing many from the outside, plus, waiting while 50 to 60 people are served a 'sit down' meal while Rome awaits you! The free Rick Steves audio tours are just wonderful, they give you very explicit step by step directions. A round trip train ticket that includes all day transportation in Rome is less than 10 E per person.

This site gives great directions:

http://cruiseanchor.blogspot.com/2010/05/civitavecchia-to-rome-by-train.html

on the Italy section of the port boards there are quite a few posts of DIY itineraries. You should be able to see the inside of all the sites you mentioned.

good luck!

Thank you everyone for your insights. We have indeed decided not to go on this tour having investigated it further as the time allocated at the colosseum was only 15 minutes!

We are now looking at the Glories of Gladiators tour which seems much more our cup of tea.

Thank you everyone for your insights. We have indeed decided not to go on this tour having investigated it further as the time allocated at the colosseum was only 15 minutes!

We are now looking at the Glories of Gladiators tour which seems much more our cup of tea.

Must add that the cruise brochure list a "tour" called "On Your Own" which is a ship excursion by big bus into the Vatican. You'll be left off and picked-up at the same places. If you are on this trip, you can spend your time inside St. Peters, or walk across the Tiber right into Rome proper and see the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain easily if you have a simple walking map. Or you can head for the big white building straight ahead which has an entry to the Roman Forum, Arch of Titus, and the Colliseum.

The 110 bus stops in front of the bookstore between St. Peters and the bridge to the city of Rome.

I'm glad you're still listening. "Glories of the Gladiators?" Why not watch the HBO series on Rome, or the movie Gladiators?

The ship tour "On your Own" is great even if you just enjoy a day in the Vatican and touring the Bascilica. The colonade on your right, looking at St. Peters with the bridge to Rome behind you has a huge Vatican bookstore, and a very large free restoom.

You can't go wrong with a full day in the Vatican. Or just walk across the Tiber on the many short bridges.

IMHO, seeing much in a day in Rome is hard work. It requires a map, planning, and research. If you want to take an easy but comprehensive tour please book the bus ride both ways called: "On your Own" and at least see the Vatican at a leisurely pace.

Claire

Archived