Alaska residents: weather in 2011 so far?

LindaKE

What kind of weather has Alaska been having so far in 2011 as compared to other years? Colder? Warmer? Wetter? Drier? I can check weather on-line, but that doesn't tell me how it compares to most years. I know that last week's weather doesn't tell me a thing about next week's weather, and I know it can change from hour to hour, so to be prepared for anything. But if there has been a trend this year, MAYBE it would predict a general pattern for the near future. (We're really debating the costly small boat add-on excursion in Tracy Arm and wondering if there is any chance that we'll even get into Tracy Arm going the 1st week of June.)

I have a greenhouse that I heat in May, so I watch temperatures more this month than any other time. So far, in our area, we are pretty much right at average. However, for us, June marks the time when the weather pattern can really shift. Last year we went from no rain and record high temps the last week and a half in May/first week of June, to go on to be the rainiest summer ever on record.

But, here's how to find the historical averages of each place you are visiting:

Go to http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Juneau.html (change the city in the search area at the top of the page)

Scroll down to "History and Almanac", below the satellite pic on the left hand side of the page.

Click on "view" (you can change the date now or on the next screen).

Click on "monthly" and scroll down until you get to the calendar. Now you can see averages for the entire month. Click on a date, and you can also see the record highs and lows, and precipitation for that date.

And then after you've done all that, prepare for the worst weather so that 99.99% of the time, you can enjoy the better weather than what you're prepared for.

And then after you've done all that, prepare for the worst weather so that 99.99% of the time, you can enjoy the better weather than what you're prepared for.

I love it! Thanks for the tutorial. I didn't realize you could do all that.

So far the weather inland between Anchorage and Fairbanks has been really good. Very sunny, in fact Fairbanks is in the lower 70's, and Anchorage in the 60's. Way better than last year. I hope the weather holds up nicer than last year so come up here, you will be okay. Also remember Alaska is a very big state, so lots of different weather going on depending on where you are going.

So far the weather inland between Anchorage and Fairbanks has been really good. Very sunny, in fact Fairbanks is in the lower 70's, and Anchorage in the 60's. Way better than last year. I hope the weather holds up nicer than last year so come up here, you will be okay. Also remember Alaska is a very big state, so lots of different weather going on depending on where you are going.

Not sure who's giving you your weather information for Anchorage, as we haven't hit 60 yet.

Actually, for the last couple of days it's been gray and cloudy.

At this point, we had a very much nicer May last year than this year and looking at the forecast it's suppose to stay cloudy and no 60 in sight for the next 5 days!

Susan in Anchorage :)

I agree with Susan (although we hit 62 yesterday, it's only the 2nd day above 59 this month...last year we had already hit the 60's 7 or 8 times by now); this year May has not been at its best. Hopefully, that means the weather will turn soon and we'll have a fabulous summer!

Unfortunatley we are having drier weather too. We had a 5 acre grass fire down by the Rabbit Creek Firing Range yesterday. They aren't sure why it started. But if this no rain keeps, up I can see the no open fire restrictions coming real soon!

Be interesting to see if they'll allow campfires next week for Memorial Day! Always better safe than sorry!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived