Excursion or own thing?

PUDDING1

Hi all

im off on a norweigen fjord cruise in july on p&o ventura.

I am visiting, bergen, olden, flam. Stravengar? (excuse spelling)

can i explore these cities on my own? Is the flam railway near the port eg is it walking distance? Are the other above ports the same - near ship.

Can anyone help and recommend what is best?

I look forward to your comments

thank you

A quick forum search will reveal lots of info on all those ports.

Bergen, Stavanger are easy DIY - Bergen free bus to town - fenicular railway is 5 minutes walk from bus drop off point - get an early bus and avoid the crowds, Stavanger you can walk into town.

Flaam railway is easy DIY as railway is next to the port, but you need to get tickets, pre booked cruise passengers get priority and there aren't a lot of trips each day so tickets are limited. You also don't save much - I was reading that a return ticket is about £45. You'll also see much more if you do the Norway in a Nutshell tour.

Olden -not much in town and glacier trips are difficult to DIY.

A quick forum search will reveal lots of info on all those ports.

Bergen, Stavanger are easy DIY - Bergen free bus to town - fenicular railway is 5 minutes walk from bus drop off point - get an early bus and avoid the crowds, Stavanger you can walk into town.

Flaam railway is easy DIY as railway is next to the port, but you need to get tickets, pre booked cruise passengers get priority and there aren't a lot of trips each day so tickets are limited. You also don't save much - I was reading that a return ticket is about £45. You'll also see much more if you do the Norway in a Nutshell tour.

Olden -not much in town and glacier trips are difficult to DIY.

You can book the train on line direct with the train company. This is total when there is more than one shop on or you are on Azura/Ventura because of the size and number of people.

They only sell enough tickets for the seats available.

It is a fantastic rail trip. The Waterfall is brilliant.

Gan canny

Dai

We were in Norway with Aurora last year and did 2 full day coach trips, a half day coach trip and a half day boat trip. We really regretted the full day trips (from Alesund and Geiranger), they were way too long and tiring and all the best bits of scenery can be seen on half day tours anyway.

In Bergen we were back by early afternoon had lunch on board and walked from the ship directly into town (a few minutes walk). In Stavanger we were back from our boat trip to Pulpit Rock (excellent) by early afternoon and again had lunch on board and explored the town on foot (another short walk from the ship).

So our advice would be don't do full day tours. Get a morning tour, have lunch on board (eating out in Norway is VERY expensive) and DIY the afternoon / evening. The P&O organised tours are good and if scenery is your thing, it doesn't get any better than Norway.

Archived