Baby Jogger City Select

kcengle

I'm trying to figure out what strollers to bring on our September Sensation Cruise.

(Background!) We will be traveling with both a 2.5 yo and an 11.5 month old so we're bringing two strollers (i know a double would be too big.) We have 3 rooms between us, my inlaws, and single sil's so i'm not too worried about storage space. The 2.5 yo will be staying in the ils adjoining room.

I know that I'm bringing our Joovy Kooper(single seat) for sure, but I'm wondering if I can get away with bringing our normal stroller without the doubles kit instead of buying a third stroller. Would our Baby Jogger City Select fit everywhere? (I would bring it as only a single stroller and leave the 2nd seat at home) Is there anywhere to store it at night in an Ocean View room? (underbed? in closet? under window? I've never had an ocean view before??? (beds will be together for my hubby and i plus a crib for the baby)

FWIW, I've seen other parents report taking a BJCM onboard without incident. It may need to be folded to get past housekeeping carts in the hallways. It may also be problematic getting it into the elevators if there are other folks hoping to utilize the elevators ;) I'm not positive how the BJCS compares size-wise to the BJCM, but I think they're pretty similar. Other parents report storing the BJCM in the closet.

FWIW, with an older toddler, I'd personally look on craigslist for a used Maclaren Volo, or you can get them on ebay new for $60 from a seller called babyproductstore, which is widely believed to be the Maclaren US outlet (same address in CT, new-in-box product). Volo is super lightweight and folds up tiny for storage. Comfy but without the bells and whistles I'd want for a younger kiddo. I have used the Volo with a 1 year old for airplane travel and a quick weekend away, and it served its purpose, but if I wanted to walk the ship and hope for LO to sleep, I'd want something with a recline. For an older toddler, though, it would be my first choice. I would not, however, pay upwards of $130 for it new - the $60 free shipping one on ebay is great, or you can probably find one on CL cheap.

Then bring your Joovy Kooper for the little one.

ETA: I should add that my DS has fallen asleep in the Volo, it just wouldn't be my first choice for a "sleeping stroller" for a kiddo under 2.

Edited by milton333

• 7 months later...

I already have the City Select with the double kit for both my kids. Just thought it was too big to bring ?

I wanted to know if anyone else brought it on a cruise to get some feedback on the size for the elevators, rooms etc

I have the city mini and brought it on several cruise and it was fine. However, now I have 2 kids and I"m wondering if I should bring 2 strollers. The city mini and another stroller or simply bring the City Select (double kit) ?

Anyone use the city select with the double kit onboard ?

It is longer then the city mini, that is why I'm not sure

• 3 years later...

Recently at our local baby store, I lined up the City Mini and the City Select with a single seat attached. They are about the same length (the handle on the mini stuck out at the hip and added to the overall length. I love my City Select with the rugged feel an maneuverability! I can deal with storing it in the room! We were planning on using duffle bags instead of rigid suitcases. The duffels could collapse allowing room to store the bulky stroller. I can deal with weight of getting it on and off tenders or tour vans. I AM WORRIED about maneuvering the BJCS on the ship! Anyone actually taken theirs? IF NOT, what did you use and how did it work?

Leaving in 5 weeks so can order whatever! HELP!!

Recently at our local baby store, I lined up the City Mini and the City Select with a single seat attached. They are about the same length (the handle on the mini stuck out at the hip and added to the overall length. I love my City Select with the rugged feel an maneuverability! I can deal with storing it in the room! We were planning on using duffle bags instead of rigid suitcases. The duffels could collapse allowing room to store the bulky stroller. I can deal with weight of getting it on and off tenders or tour vans. I AM WORRIED about maneuvering the BJCS on the ship! Anyone actually taken theirs? IF NOT, what did you use and how did it work?

Leaving in 5 weeks so can order whatever! HELP!!

I'm not sure why my prevuous reply was deleted, I was only trying to be helpful. Older threads can be confusing because people will respond to the original post as opposed to a question posed within the thread. Especially a thread as old as this one. That said, I have a baby jogger city mini and have read many posts and reviews regarding the ease of maneuverability on ships for that stroller. I've also had the opportunity to use the city select and as you said the wheels are bigger and it's more rugged. Perhaps you can take the width measurement of the select and compare that to the width measurement of the city mini? Also you mention you're not worried about tenders or tour vans and I know it does fold pretty compactly for its size but I worry you may find it too awkward and bulky in those situations. Advice that was given to me recently on these boards is to see if you can borrow an umbrella stroller from someone you know. And as mentioned in my deleted previous reply, if you find you don't get any other replies it would be beneficial to start a new thread. That is meant as friendly advice sorry if someone took that as rude. Hope this helps. I've been struggling with stroller decisions too for our upcoming cruise.

Just got off of the Carnival Magic this past Sunday and we brought two stollers. Both lightweight umbrella strollers from Babies R Us ($25 USD). Great decision! Easy to carry uo the stairs, easy to get on and off elevators, easy to store at the restaurants, and easy to store in your room under the best. No problems (although we left one in a taxi in Jamaica).

We did see people with the double strollers and they had nothing but issues and they ticked a lot of people off as well. These were the double wide strollers. The ones that are front and back might be alright if you prefer one.