Colosseum visit - Rome

Jo and Rob

We are still investigating what to do in Rome. Having researched the classical Rome with lunch we decided it was not going to give us long enough at our favourite sights so now we are considering "Glories of Gladiators CV83". Has anyone done this excursion with Celebrity?

If not, have you ever been inside the Colosseum? What were your impressions? Our 9 year old son is really keen on visiting the Colosseum and the previous trip we were considering was only allocating 15 minutes for photographs! CV83 takes you inside the Colosseum for a guided tour which I think is what we would prefer to do.

After visiting the Roman Forum we have free time (2.5 hours) at Piazza Navona. Does anyone know if we would be able to do the Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps from here? How long would that take? We need to fit in lunch somewhere, and could do with a break no doubt.

Advice please!

We have not done Rome on a Celebrity tour, but have been to the Colosseum. Definitely do the longer tour; it's well worth it as you get to go through the structure from top to bottom (at least we did), with an explanation of what each area was used for. I remember we did that, the Forum, the Spanish Steps and the Trevi fountain all in one morning, so it should be doable for you.

If you're looking for a good lunch place near the Forum, there's a restaurant right around the corner from it (pretty much facing the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier), which had wonderful wood-oven pizza.

Have a wonderful trip!

The Trevi Fountain is about a mile from the Coliseum. The Spanish Steps less than a half mile past the fountain. You could easily walk to both and back in less than the time you have. Alternately you could brave the bus system, but if you don’t speak Italian that is a challenge. Cabs are plentiful if they don’t happen to be on strike like they were when we were in Rome. If you are going to walk, make sure you have a good street map. The streets and alleys of Rome are somewhat maze-like. It is fun when you have unlimited time to get lost and wander about, but not when you have to get back to your ship. By the way I have never been a fan of cities, but I loved walking around Rome. It is an amazing city. By the way if you don’t want to go all the way to the Spanish steps, which is really only a large stairway leading up from a very nice plaza, you could do the Trevi and the Pantheon. We found that walking up and down the Coliseum was enough of a climb; you may not want more steps after that.

Here is a link to an interactive map and great information about all of the major (some minor) attractions in Rome:

http://www.aviewoncities.com/maps/rome.htm

The last time we were at the coliseum 2 Americans in line with us had their pockets picked. Don't carry a wallet or purse. The best thing to do is wear a bag around your neck or waist and under your clothes. If you ride a bus, be very careful . If anyone bumps into you, your pocket has probably been picked.

I did the Vatican and Colluseum with my then 15 year old in 2002. We really toured the Vatican and the best part was the walk up through the dome and out to the roof. Then we did the Colluseum and he was done- finito! Exhausted.

People tell you how easy it is to walk in Rome- that is true if you are taking snapshots and not actually exploring the monuments.

My problem with tours and kids is that they are geared toward adults and if your child is fidgety they will be tired of standing and listening to the guides.

Since there are three of you, you might want to do a private driver. More expensive but maybe a better way because it would be more tailored to your needs. After the Vatican (which is a must) and the Colluseum... a trip to the Trevi fountain to throw in your coins and a nice coffee/ gellati break on the Via Veneto possibly followed by a stroll around the Borghese Park would be my idea of one day in Rome with or without kids.

Why don't you take the train in for 9 euros r/t and see the Colosseum on your own schedule? You can pre-buy a tour of the Colosseum itself on line ahead of time if you are so inclined. They have just opened up part of the underground areas which may be interesting to your son.

Then you could walk over to the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona and Pantheon and grab lunch along the way. The Spanish Steps, while iconic, are really just a large staircase.

I second the notion about climbing to the top of St. Peter's--I did it 15+ years ago and have never forgotten it. Then you could catch the train back from the San Pietro station.

If you need more detail on how to do this, visit the Italy boards.

Cathy

Generally I second what infoprof56 said above, but with a couple of other things to note.

It sounds like you are starting from Plaza Navona, which should be closer than the Coliseum to the other sites. Even with this, if you are eating lunch as well, the time line could get a little tighter. Sometimes the food service isn't that fast in Rome, which is great if you are there for a few days and have the time.

Also if you have a little extra time while leaving the Pantheon, the Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva is nice (not spectacular) but is close by.

I'd definitely want to go inside the Colosseum rather than just take a picture of the exterior (which is admittedly extremely impressive). I'm sure a guided tour will bring it to life, but even just walking around the interior was wonderful.

You could definitely walk to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps from Piazza Navona in 2.5hours with no problem (although I agree you'll want at least a quick break and some lunch, a quick pizza would probably be a good recommendation for tasty but fast, unfortunately I don't have a specific recommendation sorry).

Don't know what's on your tour, but I would definitely go to the Pantheon in your free time. Spectacularly impressive in my opinion. And it's basically between you and Trevi Fountain anyway, if that's where you're walking from Piazza Navona.

I understand why people want to see/experience Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, but the Pantheon was much more of a WOW place for me. Also, for all the talk of pickpockets in Rome (and you definitely should be careful, but not afraid), my visit to Trevi Fountain was the only place I was concerned I was going to lose something (just too crowded with too many questionable individuals about for my taste...but the fountain IS beautiful and worth seeing). Didn't ruin my experience, but did detract from it.

Timing wise, Trevi Fountain is probably a 15-20 minute walk from Piazza Navona, with the Pantheon 5 minutes into that walk. The Spanish Steps are another 10-15 minutes from Trevi Fountain, and probably adding a few minutes to what the return trip would be if you'd just walked straight back from Trevi Fountain. Walking in Rome is easy, fun, and beautiful.

Jo and Rob, 2 years ago we used Rome in Limo, best money we ever spent. When we arrived at the Colosseum our guide lead us to the front of the line and right inside. Then meet us outside the exit and on to the next site, Circus Maximus, again parking within feet of the site. When we went to the Trevi Fountain, John, our guide was able to park within 2 blocks. We could never have seen as much of Rome as we did without RIL. Great guide and reasonable on pricing. Enjoy!

Best time to see the Tevi fountain is early morning . We were there about 8:30 am and the place was almost empty. No problem taking numerous pictures. We were also there in early evening and it is packed, but we had a good time too. There are alot of street vendors selling cute toys. When the police arrived at fountain they scattered and were back about 15 minutes later selling their wares. i am sure they were unlicenced. The fountain in the Piazza Navona is the Four Rivers. It is really impressive and your son will love it. but last time we were there in 2008 it was covered up because of repairs :(

I have a 10 year old grandson, I would have your son read a book about things to see in Rome and have him be the part-guide and help to find your way around.

One tip , in walking the streets of Rome the street signs are on the building itself on most corners. Many of the streets are only a block or two long. You will have a wonderful time. :)

A good option is the "Rome on your own" tour. Included in the price (when we did it 2 years ago) was the transfer from ship to Rome and back, two cold bottles of water, a ticket for the Hop-on/Hop-off double decker bus and a good map. You can explore the city the whole day and you definitely should see the Colosseum. Although i would suggest - like CathyCruises did- to buy your tickets online, since the lines can be very long. There is a special pick-up desk for internet tickets.

Another thing regarding safety : don't let them fool you into the flower-trick. One guy gives you a flower saying it's for free. Once you have the flower in your hand hey says "of course, you can always give something, some small change is ok". When you reach for your money, another guy - which you don't notice - is watching where you're wallet is and try to pickpocket it afterwards. We saw a lot of them around the Spanish Steps. Here's a picture :

cruisesummitb2bmetan21j.jpg

Hi Jo

Its KasJas from your roll call. We seriously considered this tour as we would love to see the Colosseum, but in the small print it said that they could not guarantee going inside if it was really busy!! This really put us off but will have another look to double check myself. For us that would be the most important part, actually going in.

By the way off topic you have a point about the drinks package. Going to have to really think about it.

Kasjas

Hi Jo

Me again. Forget that last post. Just been into look at the trip info and I guess when I last looked it may have been too early as there is now a full description and no mention on not going in if busy. When I looked at it, there was no description as there is now and was probably a standard quote. Will have to speak to the better half as we may now consider this trip, its the one thing we are really interested in.

kasjas

Thanks for all the helpful advice. We are actually a family of four, we also have a six year old daughter and she also enjoys going on trips so we are hoping that although it will be a long hot day it will be a great trip that will be a real highlight of the cruise.

Romeinlimo wanted 500 euros!!! The celebrity trip at £226 for four of us suddenly does not seem too bad. The train would be very cheap I know but with about 8 ships in port that day and the fact it is Saturday all mean we don't want to risk it.

The one thing we do know is that we will take an official tour with Celebrity. If we do Rome on your own we will still have to pay for and organise Colosseum tickets so from a price point of view there isn't much in it so we might as well go for the tour which includes the guided visit.

Kasjas, we have spent ages trying to figure out what to do in Rome. Nothing was quite right. But now we have discovered that this trip includes free time (so we can do the Trevi Fountain) is sounds perfect and we are now both really excited about it.

Hi Jo

I think we have had the same concerns. We we're really not sure about Rome. As you say there are all the other ships in, the heat, the fact our daughter isnt good on coaches and the whole point of this holiday is to relax. Hot and bothered teenager doesnt equal relaxed parents. However, this trip does appeal and I think travelling with X will make things a bit easier.

kasjas

You mentioned lunch. If you are having free time we stumbled across a wonderful place walking away from the colloseum through the forum you rejoin the road heading towards the trevi fountain area. You should pass a huge ornate buildung called something like vicor emmanuel monunent. Inside is a museum, but right at the very top is a cafe with terrace which looks back toward the colloseum. It will take your breath away. The museum is worth a look also.

Mark

We are still investigating what to do in Rome. Having researched the classical Rome with lunch we decided it was not going to give us long enough at our favourite sights so now we are considering "Glories of Gladiators CV83". Has anyone done this excursion with Celebrity?

If not, have you ever been inside the Colosseum? What were your impressions? Our 9 year old son is really keen on visiting the Colosseum and the previous trip we were considering was only allocating 15 minutes for photographs! CV83 takes you inside the Colosseum for a guided tour which I think is what we would prefer to do.

After visiting the Roman Forum we have free time (2.5 hours) at Piazza Navona. Does anyone know if we would be able to do the Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps from here? How long would that take? We need to fit in lunch somewhere, and could do with a break no doubt.

Advice please!

I'd make sure that the basketball team is playing at home!:D

A good option is the "Rome on your own" tour. Included in the price (when we did it 2 years ago) was the transfer from ship to Rome and back' date=' two cold bottles of water, a ticket for the Hop-on/Hop-off double decker bus and a good map. You can explore the city the whole day and you definitely should see the Colosseum. Although i would suggest - like CathyCruises did- to buy your tickets online, since the lines can be very long. There is a special pick-up desk for internet tickets.

Another thing regarding safety : don't let them fool you into the flower-trick. One guy gives you a flower saying it's for free. Once you have the flower in your hand hey says "of course, you can always give something, some small change is ok". When you reach for your money, another guy - which you don't notice - is watching where you're wallet is and try to pickpocket it afterwards. We saw a lot of them around the Spanish Steps. Here's a picture :

[img']http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/811/cruisesummitb2bmetan21j.jpg[/img]

I had the flower thing happen to me but I didn't fall for it. They also forced some bracelet on me and tried to get me to pay them for it. I basically said no, I didn't ask for nor did i want this, so I'm not paying for it. I had flowers (multiple) shoved at me at one point, but i handed them all back as what do i need with a bunch of flowers while sight seeing in a foreign country.

I was wearing a backpack and no way they were going to get to my money in there as they'd have to go through a lot, so fortunately for me, they moved on to someone more easy I presume.

As another poster said, don't be AFRAID to visit rome due to this (or barcelona for that matter) but be AWARE so that you're not taken advantage of.

We did Rome on our own, post-cruise, but I can understand taking a tour when you are only there one day, with kids. We walked all over, and it is very walkable, but, especially with a six-year-old, you're wise to not try a full day of walking--we're still talking miles between some points.

We were in Rome on a weekend when many of the ancient sites were free; some were crowded, some not so bad. It is definitely worth it to at least go into the Colesseum. If your son is really interested, I'd take an actual tour.

I didn't catch what time of year you are going, but we were there in late April and it was really, really hot. I can't imagine what it must be like in July and August. Except for the Colesseum and Forum crowds were bad also (free admission to many things), but not as bad as I expected except in the Vatican.

My advice for your free time partly depends on weather; if it's 95 and humid I'd limit the walking. The Pantheon is amazing, the Trevi Fountain something to see just because it is so famous, and not too far off; there are several interesting churches and fountains in the area as well.

The Fountain of the Four Rivers was also under reconstruction in 2010 and covered up. Personally, I'd skip the Spanish Steps, especially with kids, as really all it is is wide tall steps with hundreds of people sitting on it and taking pictures. Iconic, I know, but not worth the extra walk, to me.

You will want to spend some of your time getting cool drinks, eating and resting. Does the tour include the Vatican/St. Peter's? The Vatican museums also get very crowded and might not be well appreciated by kids.

Oh also since we are on the topic of the colesseum....when you are nearby do NOT give your camera to anyone to take your picture with the gladiator guys that are around. They basically take your camera, take your picture, then demand money for the return of your camera, from what I was told. I didn't have it occur to me as I was forewarned about the area, but I imagine it's a very easy thing to fall into.

Oh also since we are on the topic of the colesseum....when you are nearby do NOT give your camera to anyone to take your picture with the gladiator guys that are around. They basically take your camera, take your picture, then demand money for the return of your camera, from what I was told. I didn't have it occur to me as I was forewarned about the area, but I imagine it's a very easy thing to fall into.

Thanks for the warning!

If you have MP3 players or iPods, the Rick Steves tour of the Colosseum is very good, and free on iTunes. He also has St. Peter's and the Vatican among other guided tours of various cities in Europe. They come with a printable map of the site and are very user friendly. We used them extensively on our last Med cruise.

Sheila

We have had three separate day trips to Rome.

Many years ago we did a Rome on your Own trip with a cruise ship and made the mistake of going to the Vatican museum first. It took ages to go around and after that all we had time for was to find the Spanish Steps before going to our coach. Not very impressed with the Steps, as others have said, that is what it is - a set of steps with loads of people sitting on them.

We did the Colosseum in February two years ago. It was a post-cruise excursion before going to the airport and we also visited St Peters Basilica on the same excursion. The Colosseum was absolutely rammed with people and to be honest we could not see that much that really interested us. I suppose if you are really into archaeology, then it would be of more interest. I would much rather concentrate on, say, St Peters or the Pantheon, or just strolling around the historic centre. The Piazza Navone is a nice place to visit.

In October last year we had a pre-cruise visit to Rome (before going on to Civi to get on Ocean Princess). This time we had a day ticket for the buses and made our own way from our hotel on the outskirts of Rome. Went to the Trevi Fountain where we had a pizza lunch - it was very expensive when compared to what we could have got had we lunched at any restaurant down the side streets. Again the area was rammed with people and a pickpocket's delight. We had actually be pickpocketed on a train platform on our way to our hotel the day before so we were particularly aware of not leaving anything to chance.

Archived