Getting from London to Stockholm

Bonjour,

We will be doing a Baltic cruise leaving from Stockholm this summer. We would like to fly from Canada to London and spend a few days in London prior to our cruise. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get from London to Stockholm? Is Ryan Air the best way? Are there other cheap and reliable airlines?

Thanks! Merci!

I would check out Ryan and also Sterling Airlines. Our daughter is married to a fabulous Swede and they usually spend time visiting family in Sweden each year. They also often take a side trip via Sterling - not sure what airport it operates out of but know it should service the Stockholm area.

Have a GREAT cruise!!

I would also check Norwegian and SAS´s prices. SAS is not considered a budget airline, but sometimes they actually have good specials. Plus, they have many flights to Stockholm, since it is the largest airline in Scandinavia. Norwegian is more of a budget alternative, but it doesn´t feel like that when you fly with them, their staff has always been super friendly to us (not so with Ryan Air, I´m sorry to add....)

/Liselotte in Östersund, Sweden

PS. Didn´t Sterling go bancrupt a couple of years ago?DS

If you havenot booked your tickets yet, check with your airline if a stop in London is possible.

That way you can buy tickets to Stockholm with this stop, which often is the best solution.

Ryanair is very expensive if you have luggage, for which they charge additional. As far as I know indeed Sterling went bankrupt.

Bonjour,

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions! I`ve checked out SAS and Norweigian and I agree they seem a better option than Ryan Air which seems to have many hidden costs (baggage etc). I will also verify with Air Canada and see if they have the ''stop over'' option...I had not thought about this, but remember now that I`ve done this before several years ago and it worked out well!

Thanks to all three of you for taking the time to respond and share your insights!

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get from London to Stockholm? Is Ryan Air the best way? Are there other cheap and reliable airlines?
If you are staying in London, the absolute best way of getting to Stockholm is to fly British Airways from London City Airport. The total journey experience is worth paying a little extra money for. LCY is one of the few major airlines airports left in the world where you can arrive 30 minutes before departure to drop off your bags and still feel like you have arrived far too early. BA also flies from Heathrow, and is not expensive - in particular, charges for extra or excess luggage are quite low.

Ryanair is about the worst possible way of doing this trip, particularly if you will have cruise luggage.

Ryanair is about the worst possible way of doing this trip, particularly if you will have cruise luggage.

Another reason to avoid RyanAir is that they use an airport over 90 minutes by bus away from Stockholm.

Al

Merci to Globaliser, Al and Danish for your added insights! I like the BA option and will look into it! I also contacted Air Canada and they do have the stop over option which turns out being cheaper than flying AC from Canada to London and then Ryan Air from London to Stockholm so thank you Ine for that suggestion! What would we do without our CC friends :confused::D?

Archived