Taxi to Royal Palms

sml3

We were on the May 1 sailing of the Valor. Loved the decor. It's now my favorite out of the Conquest Class of ships. The only one I haven't been on is the Freedom.

The Caymans was our first stop and we sailed with my coworker and his girlfriend. I'm 43, hubby 49, coworker 50 and girlfriend 46.

We woke up to a beautiful sunny day. I felt we didn't have to rush, so we leisurely dressed for the beach and took everything with us. We didn't plan on returning to the cabin. Me and my husband went to the dining room for breakfast were we ran into my coworker and his girlfriend.

I'm the one who chose the Royal Palms for our beach day based on reviews from Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor and other websites. We went to Calico Jacks last year.

This was their first time to the Caymans and they wanted to make sure we all met up. I told them just go out and catch the Jitney and tell them you are meeting friends at the Royal Palms and they'll let you off. We didn't want to wait for them as they were just sitting for breakfast and we were done.

Luck was on our side, because as we reached the tender there were no lines and we got right on. Unbelievable. It was about 9pm and I'm assuming all the excursion folks were off already.

We stood for some photos and went straight to the jitney area. It was $4.00 I think.

When the driver pulled up, I knew we made a good choice. A few of us got off and walked up. I was very impressed. It was more upscale than Calico Jacks.

It had to be around 10am when we arrrived. I walked onto the beach and found 4 chairs in the front row. Put some of my belongings on all 4. I didn't want anyone blocking my ocean view:p.

You pay for your chairs and umbrellas at the same desk where you would pay for jetskiing and other activities. It was $30.00 for 2 lounge chairs and 1 umbrella. A gentleman came and set up everything. They put a small flag in the back of your chair. I guess that shows that its paid for.

I left my belongings on the 2 chairs next to me, hoping my coworker would show up soon.

My husband went to get the drinks started. I tried the Cayman Mama. It was tasty, but I prefer my Tequila Sunrise. Don't know how much the drinks cost because my husband purchased them. I'm sure they were expensive. Everything in the Caymans are.

My coworker showed up and they settled in. They loved it.

Hubby stayed at the bar and the 3 of us were very quietly relaxing. My coworker and I did a lot of overtime for this trip, and It finally felt good to exhale on this beautiful beach.

We read, listened to Ipods, I fell asleep for a while. The water warmed up a little by the afternoon and we ventured in the ocean.

Around 1pm, I smelled burgers grilling and my husband and I didn't want to wait to get back onboard to eat. So we ordered lunch. Two burgers with fries and 1 lemonade was $32.50. We ate in the pool area, which was very nice by the way.

Dark clouds were moving thru and the wind was picking up. We saw employees scrambling trying to lock everything down so nothing would blow away and new it was our cue to get back on the ship.

All 4 of us enjoyed our first stop. 7 Mile beach is breathtaking. This beach area was more spacious, with more chairs. It wasn't crowded like Calico Jacks and definately more upscale.

The pool area with the cabanas gave the place a South Beach feel.

The next time we visit the Caymans, we'll definately spend our day there.

Thanks. How was the food and drink prices? We just want a couple of appetizers and a few beers. Do you recommend the conch fritters here or somewhere near the pier?

We were on the May 1 sailing of the Valor. Loved the decor. It's now my favorite out of the Conquest Class of ships. The only one I haven't been on is the Freedom.

The Caymans was our first stop and we sailed with my coworker and his girlfriend. I'm 43, hubby 49, coworker 50 and girlfriend 46.

We woke up to a beautiful sunny day. I felt we didn't have to rush, so we leisurely dressed for the beach and took everything with us. We didn't plan on returning to the cabin. Me and my husband went to the dining room for breakfast were we ran into my coworker and his girlfriend.

I'm the one who chose the Royal Palms for our beach day based on reviews from Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor and other websites. We went to Calico Jacks last year.

This was their first time to the Caymans and they wanted to make sure we all met up. I told them just go out and catch the Jitney and tell them you are meeting friends at the Royal Palms and they'll let you off. We didn't want to wait for them as they were just sitting for breakfast and we were done.

Luck was on our side, because as we reached the tender there were no lines and we got right on. Unbelievable. It was about 9pm and I'm assuming all the excursion folks were off already.

We stood for some photos and went straight to the jitney area. It was $4.00 I think.

When the driver pulled up, I knew we made a good choice. A few of us got off and walked up. I was very impressed. It was more upscale than Calico Jacks.

It had to be around 10am when we arrrived. I walked onto the beach and found 4 chairs in the front row. Put some of my belongings on all 4. I didn't want anyone blocking my ocean view:p.

You pay for your chairs and umbrellas at the same desk where you would pay for jetskiing and other activities. It was $30.00 for 2 lounge chairs and 1 umbrella. A gentleman came and set up everything. They put a small flag in the back of your chair. I guess that shows that its paid for.

I left my belongings on the 2 chairs next to me, hoping my coworker would show up soon.

My husband went to get the drinks started. I tried the Cayman Mama. It was tasty, but I prefer my Tequila Sunrise. Don't know how much the drinks cost because my husband purchased them. I'm sure they were expensive. Everything in the Caymans are.

My coworker showed up and they settled in. They loved it.

Hubby stayed at the bar and the 3 of us were very quietly relaxing. My coworker and I did a lot of overtime for this trip, and It finally felt good to exhale on this beautiful beach.

We read, listened to Ipods, I fell asleep for a while. The water warmed up a little by the afternoon and we ventured in the ocean.

Around 1pm, I smelled burgers grilling and my husband and I didn't want to wait to get back onboard to eat. So we ordered lunch. Two burgers with fries and 1 lemonade was $32.50. We ate in the pool area, which was very nice by the way.

Dark clouds were moving thru and the wind was picking up. We saw employees scrambling trying to lock everything down so nothing would blow away and new it was our cue to get back on the ship.

All 4 of us enjoyed our first stop. 7 Mile beach is breathtaking. This beach area was more spacious, with more chairs. It wasn't crowded like Calico Jacks and definately more upscale.

The pool area with the cabanas gave the place a South Beach feel.

The next time we visit the Caymans, we'll definately spend our day there.

Glad you had a good time there! I will be going next week. What is the jitney?

It's the shuttle buses they have.

They seat, I'm going to say approximately, 15 - 20 people. Also, they won't leave until it's full.

Make sure you tell the bus driver you want the Royal Palms or else they will take you down to Calico Jacks.

It's the shuttle buses they have.

They seat, I'm going to say approximately, 15 - 20 people. Also, they won't leave until it's full.

Make sure you tell the bus driver you want the Royal Palms or else they will take you down to Calico Jacks.

So we will save $1 per person vs. the $5 each for a taxi by taking the bus?

Was it an actual shuttle or the public bus?

As you're getting off the tender, keep walking, you will see tour operators with their signs.

The jitneys were inside the shopping area, a dispatcher will tell you which jitney to get on. Just tell them you want to go to the Royal Palms. Make sure you tell the driver.

Our friends told the dispatcher, not the driver, the driver went past the Royal Palms. The dispatcher did not notify the driver, they assumed everyone wanted to get off at Calico Jacks.

So, the driver dropped pax off at Calico's and turned around and dropped them off at the Palms.

Another couple got off also, they said.

• 4 weeks later...

What were the loungers like at Royal Palms? someone recently reviewed the place and mentioned they were very uncomfortable? hard plastic with no cushions/mats??

Also wondering about the pool and cabanas? I assume anyone using the facility can also use the pool? what about the cabanas?

Thanks!

Archived