diet cruise

derf5585

yes or no, I'm verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves  

175 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no, I'm verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves

• Yes, I would take one
    • No, I will not

Surprisenly on my last cruise I ate normally and all sorts of goodies and when I came home, stepped on the scales and I had lost 5 pounds. What a shock that was but was happy. No I would not take a diet cruise.

Marilyn

• 2 months later...

When we go on a cruise...we LOVE to eat...and Oh! Those Desserts! But if there was a health conscious cruise for diet and exercise, it might be like a spa getaway for health... and that could be fun too!

However, I would not do it if it were hitting exotic destinations...to me, a health/exercise cruise would be about "just being at sea", as stated earlier, kind of a health spa on the water where you are concentrating on one thing...you! :-) maybe a little nutty...but I love it all!

Happy cruising! Our first time with princess will be in 11 days! Alaska cruise tour...land starting on the 13th and cruise on the 18th! Watch out Alaska salmon!!

I spend the rest of the year training and eating right and working my hind end off! When I cruise I want full fat, bad for me, gotta put in extra miles to get it off crud that makes me break out! I mean it. I don't eat 15 lobster tails or anything but I do have dessert.

If you think about it, every cruise COULD be a diet cruise nowadays - every line has a "spa" menu listed, and there are always lots of exercise classes and great equipment to work out on - for those of us without gym memberships, a nice freebie.

I used to work for Weight Watchers - so I was the one who did laps on the Pacific Princess (and everyone I passed by the pool said, hey, you're making us tired!). I earned a "Motion on the Ocean" T-shirt from NCL and ate off the spa choices as much as possible.

I agree with the poster who said having someone else cook can make it easier to lose weight if you're set on doing that on a cruise. Plus, the great salad bars (Carnival's was great - first one I lost weight on) and pre-cut fresh fruit can make it less of a challenge than dieting at home. And having ports to stop in can make it even more of an active vacation - kayaking, snorkeling, bicycling, horseback riding, hiking - all great exercise!

If I were to diet anywhere I would do it on a cruise. As long as I could have the ice cream in the Horizon Court! Most of the desserts do not look interesting to me anyway so that helps. I really enjoyed the Cooking Light dishes on the Norway. Better tiramisu than I make. The only disappointment on the Island Princess was the charge for the classes I was interested in and the scheduling of the others (or lack thereof.)

ANY cruise can be a diet cruise with a little self control. Took a cruise while on South Beach diet and was able to find a good selection of food on every menu that fit. Came back lighter.

Let's face it - all diets have one thing in common: "Works best with exercise". And if you can't excercise with all those stairs, deck 7 walkways, snorkeling, walking from ship to pier and around town, swimming, etc, etc you are not trying. Then there's exercise machines for the really dedicated.

With all the exercise we normally get on a cruise, there's room for desserts and/or dinner rolls in our "diet".

But I agree - I don't go ON a cruise to diet. That doesn't mean I have to be foolish compared with the diet plan the Dr. recommended. And I can eat well.

Was the 80-lb girl in hi school. Gain 31 pounds during a full-term pregnancy and ended up losing it afterwards by the sixth week. Unfortunately gain 15 pounds within the last two years on my small frame and doctor told me to lose it by going low-fat (notice he didn't say "low-carb") and doing cardio. Got myself a cardio exercise tape and did a little bit of jogging (not good at that). Then went on vacation which included a 2-day train trip each way which was not conducive to keeping the pounds off -- you can't exercise and there's not much choice with the food. At least for the cruise I ate salads with each lunch and dinner and sometimes stuck with the low-fat diet (notice "sometimes") and we tried walking as much as possible: stairs, in-port walking around, etc. Even made it to the gym once and worked out there.

When I went to the doctor a couple of months later, he chided me especially after finding out I took a cruise. My weight wasn't much lowered from the last appointment. I tried explaining it was the train trip, not the cruise. But cruises have that bad reputation of being a trip in which you stuff yourself.

It all comes down to self control. And a lot of dieting beforehand. Oh, well.

I think a diet/health cruise would be awesome! Like a week at a spa! I have no doubt the food would be just as amazing as it is normally, the only difference would be like having an entire menu full of SPA choices, without the temptation of the unhealthy stuff.

Plus it would give me the opportunity to experience new healthy dishes that I could later make at home knowing already that I like them because I've had the opportunity to taste them!

It would ROCK!

:D

As a 79 pound loser with Weight Watchers, I know this is a program not a diet. A way of life now. I can eat anything I want but know that portion control and exercise will keep me out of harms way. So bring on the non-diet cruises...I can handle it and enjoy every minute of it.

Archived