diet cruise

derf5585

yes or no, I'm verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves  

175 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no, I'm verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves

• Yes, I would take one
    • No, I will not

No way....lifes too short the way it is. A cruise is for fun, relaxation, romance & food....great food! You can diet before or after the cruise but not during. That would take the fun out of it...in my opinion.;)

Not on your life.

I don't gain weight on cruises, and I'm definitely not out to LOSE weight on one. I'm willing to get enough exercise that I can eat what I want on a cruise, but I'm not willing to be on a diet on a cruise.

Would I like a few more healthful offerings in the dining room? Sure, that would be alright.

I think a health/spa/diet cruise would be great - but I think they would have to offer a regular menu also for those who don't want to limit their choices. There are many popular spas with wonderful food choices that are very gourmet. This cruise could offer more fitness/exercise choices and not charge extra for them. I don't see this ever happening on a big cruise line like Princess though.

Heck no.

One of the main things I look forward to on a cruise is the good (but not "healthy") food. I'm trying to lose weight before the cruise so I can pig out on the cruise and break even afterwards :D

My husband and I actually went on a cruise with Dr. Atkins himself back in '98 (?)....they weighed us when we got on the ship and before we left...the average weight loss was 4 pounds, though some lost 10 - 15 pounds... They had a regular buffet line and a Atkins buffet line (not everybody on the ship was with Atkins.)

But the most imnpressive part was the meetings in which people shared their stories of being able to get rid of all their heart medications, high blood pressure and diabetic meds by following a healthy low carb life style.

JMA

Diet cruise--that's got to be an oxymoron!:D

My thoughts exactly. Part of the cruise experience is knowing that you can get almost whatever you want to eat ... at anytime. If I wanna go on a diet, I'll do it at home ... join Weight Watchers or a gym or whatever ... and get the same healthy eating classes, gym classes, etc.

I think going on a "diet cruise" would not work unless the ENTIRE ship was participating in the cruise. It's unlikely any such group would be able to fill the ship. As long as the sailing was bookable by the general public as well as the diet group, all eating options and food choices would have to be made available to them. That, in my opinion, would make sticking to a diet, even on such a cruise, almost impossible. The temptation would be too great and you're likely to fail and leave the cruise discouraged.

No, when I cruise, I wanna have fun. If that fun involves trying something new to eat ... having a fattening fruity drink ... whatever, I want to do that without worrying about how many calories are contained in whatever I am putting in my mouth.

Like another poster on this thread noted ... I too generally don't gain much weight on a cruise. In fact, sometimes I actually lose weight. I'm more physically active on a cruise, eat better, sleep better ... and most importantly, I don't eat just for the sake of eating. I eat when I'm hungry, and that is the secret to not gaining a lot of weight during a cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

A few years ago Richard Simmons had a large group go on a cruise. He lead the excerise classes and the chefs prepared special foods. The folks lost weight, had fun, and were on a cruise to boot. It was very successful.

We were on a 30 day Royal Odyssey cruise about 10 years ago from Beijing to Vancouver. The 2nd leg of this cruise was a 7 day Alaska cruise from Seward. Hundreds of passengers debarked in Alaska and hundreds of dieters got on. They were a group of Dr. McDougall's, a vegetarian diet guru from Northern California. They had their own section in the diningroom and their own separately prepared menus. We had occasion to attend a few of their lectures and found them quite enjoyable. To this day my husband orders the low calorie/low fat soups from this organization.

Arlene

A few years ago Richard Simmons had a large group go on a cruise. He lead the excerise classes and the chefs prepared special foods. The folks lost weight, had fun, and were on a cruise to boot. It was very successful.

Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose!

from

http://richardsimmons.com/cruise_lose.php

interesting locales for his infomercials: one was set aboard a cruise ship

from

http://infomercial.tvheaven.com/rsimmons.htm

Norwegian does a "Cooking Light" cruise every year. It's not a "diet" cruise, exactly...but it's a different spin.

Norwegian Cruise Line And Cooking Light Team Up To Offer Delicious Light Menu Choices At Sea

from

http://www.ncl.com/news/pr/pr990831a.html

In partnership with "Cooking Light" magazine,

from

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=177

They were a group of Dr. McDougall's, a vegetarian diet guru from Northern California. They had their own section in the diningroom and their own separately prepared menus. We had occasion to attend a few of their lectures and found them quite enjoyable. To this day my husband orders the low calorie/low fat soups from this organization.

Arlene

Welcome to Dr. McDougalls Right Foods

from

http://www.rightfoods.com/

One of Dr. John McDougall's personal challenges

from

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag98/nov98_cover2.html

Are you kidding? Having a chief prepare great tasting food that is healthier and has fewer calories. I'd go in a minute.

Out of the 4 of us traveling in October, one has had gastric bypass and 2 are dieting because of health issues. It is extremely hard to figure out what to eat each day. To have someone prepare meals for me, setup an exercise schedule...Sign me up!!

Deena

As someone who is currently eating a chocolate Girl Scout cookie, I don't think I have any interest in a diet cruise. :) Then again, my opinion may change in a couple of years after the DH and I start having kids.

Yes! Hate the word "diet" :( but would love more healthy tasty choices, sprouted grains bread and cereal or plain yogurt instead of the kind with all the sugar. I don't do sugar or flour whether I am cruising, vacationing elswhere or home. I have my "food plan" that I stick to pretty much all the time just because it suits me. I have to say if I see Creme Bule I am doomed! lol:)

Aloha,

Ginger

Archived