Any current info on Junkanoo Beach in Nassau

kruzin'

:) in port from 8am to 2pm so need somethng to do close to the dock besides being harrassed at the straw market...other posts say it is not worth the time and need help

We were there last August and spend a few hours there each time we are in Nassau. Its not fancy.but you can relax swim a little and kill a few hours. They have huts with locals selling food and drinks. We usually walk there first, then walk thru the starw market and up to the center of town. Horse carriage ride is interesting also.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore MD.

We stopped in Nassau. I was set to go to Cabbage beach.

But as we were docking someone pointed to a beach close to the port.

Junkanoo is about a 15 minute easy walk.Past Senor Frogs,(stop there on the way back)

Its a fine beach, nothing fancy with a few vendors.

There are kids there from time to time jumping off the old concrete piers.

My kids did it a few times.

The beach is fine, especially when there are a few other cruisers there with you.

A cheap easy way to take a dip.

The water is nice, but there is some laundry down there in the water?

There are a few vendors, but they dont bother you.

If you just want to get wet and lay on beach a few hours, its fine and easy walk from ship::):cool:

We were at Junkanoo beach last month when we sailed on Carnival Pride and it had everything we wanted ! We spent a total of five minutes in the straw market (just way too hot and it's all the same stuff), then continued walking to Junkanoo. As mentioned, there's a few huts on the beach that sold drinks and snacks. We had a pina colada, rum & coke and an order of conch fritters and that was $16 total--not too bad !!

I think chairs were $5.00 each... and I mean "chairs" --not loungers! They had loungers but they were more expensive. We simply put our towel down on the sand and didn't bother with the chairs!

Like I said, we were happy with it and you sure can't beat the price! ;)

We were ther in May and throughly enjoyed Junkanoo Beach. Great place that does not cost a fortune to kick back and relax and swim in the beautiful water. Also had one of the best daquaris I have ever had there from a shak up near the road. Very good with or without the alcohol. had both. I do reccommend 1 thing though. Watershoes as we did see a good bit of small pieces of broken glass mixed in the sand.

• 3 months later...
Anyone been there recently? So it's about 15 minutes walk from the pier?

Just want to make sure my kids can handle the walk(ages 12, 9 and 4y.o.) We had hoped to do the Sheraton but it's too pricey for us right now.

You all should be fine with the walk. I would reccommend an umbrella stroller for the little one.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise and we did walk to Junkanoo Beach.

Once inside the building at the port I asked the lady at the desk for directions just to make sure we were going the right way. She said to go out and go up one block(to a less busy street and to skip Senor Frogs) and follow it to the right and walk a few block and around the front of the BCH. We did that, walk was easy, we felt safe. The only thing that bothered us was all the exhaust fumes from the cars, it made my one child feel sick but he was fine once we got to the beach.

Once at the beach we piled our stuff up by a palm tree and hit the water. There are some bits of broken glass but they were far and few in between and most had smooth edges. One lady asked about hairbraiding and I said no thank you, no one else pestered us. We were there for about 2 hours, it was pretty empty as it was cloudy and spritzed a little on us.

It was great for a cheap excursion. we did stop and get postcards a few other things at a shop on the way back.

I was glad we had the stroller as my 4 y.o. wouldn;t have been able to make the walk back...he was exhausted!

• 2 weeks later...
I know it only a 15 minute or so walk, but is there a bus that goes there? Thanks for any info!

Yes, but by the time you walk to the bus stop, you're nearly half way there.

You can pick up the #10 jitney (bus) on George Street off Bay Street for $1.25.

Just walk outside the port entrance.. go straight up on block to Bay Street. Make a right.. walk about 3 short blocks.. George Street is on the left heading up the hill.

Just tell the driver where you want to get off.

Archived