Short stop in San Juan

bkrickles1

We are traveling on Explorer 9 day cruise on 6/23/11 and our stop in San Juan is from 7am till 1pm. My 10 person party are not early risers and will not skip breakfast, so my question is if there is anything to do from like 9:30/10:00 till 1pm? We might want to walk around so is there anything near the pier?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

As I said we are a party of 10 ranging from 11 to 49

thanks in advance

I just reread your post and you say the ship sails at 1:00 P.M. You have to plan to be back aboard by 12:30 at the absolute latest. With a group of ten, don't take the risk on lollers and plan to return to the ship minimum 12:15 IMO.

I just reread your post and you say the ship sails at 1:00 P.M. You have to plan to be back aboard by 12:30 at the absolute latest. With a group of ten, don't take the risk on lollers and plan to return to the ship minimum 12:15 IMO.

Thanks, I'm travelling with a couple of nervous people, so I know we'll get back in plenty of time. I was also wondering if there was a beach near the pier, if we wanted to swim and sunbathe.

Thanks again

Thanks, I'm travelling with a couple of nervous people, so I know we'll get back in plenty of time. I was also wondering if there was a beach near the pier, if we wanted to swim and sunbathe.

Thanks again

We're on the same cruise as you. We also did the same itinerary last year. You will have plenty of time to see the fort in Old San Juan. There is a shuttle type trolly that will take you up to the fort. Tour at your liesure and then walk back (downhill) to the ship (approx. 30 minute walk).

We also always stop at Barrachina for a pina colada (or two) and lunch before getting back onboard. The restaurant is located at 104 Fortaleza Street and is about a 15 minute walk back to the ship. They claim to be the birthplace of the pina colada and they are very good, even though they have been coming from a dispenser now, as opposed to individual blender made like we used to get there.

Before boarding the ship, there is a CVS right across from the pier. We stocked up on bottled water and snacks for the next two sea days.

Eric

We're on the same cruise as you. We also did the same itinerary last year. You will have plenty of time to see the fort in Old San Juan. There is a shuttle type trolly that will take you up to the fort. Tour at your liesure and then walk back (downhill) to the ship (approx. 30 minute walk).

We also always stop at Barrachina for a pina colada (or two) and lunch before getting back onboard. The restaurant is located at 104 Fortaleza Street and is about a 15 minute walk back to the ship. They claim to be the birthplace of the pina colada and they are very good, even though they have been coming from a dispenser now, as opposed to individual blender made like we used to get there.

Before boarding the ship, there is a CVS right across from the pier. We stocked up on bottled water and snacks for the next two sea days.

Eric

I keep saying I love these forums.

I recognize you from the roll calls forum.

Thanks for the info and everyone in my group (except for my 11 year old daughter) certainly loves pina coladas. Maybe they make a virgin one for her...

Thanks again. 30 days and a wake up........................

The Fort of San Cristobal is the closer of the two forts and definitely has more areas to explore. When you get off the ship you can see the tops of it up the hill. You can walk it, if you don't mind the uphill climb. Its not too bad, but when you get close it is a little steep. (Just warning you in case you have anyone particularly out of shape) I would definitely walk back to the ship. The area you pass through for the most part is quite charming.

We also really liked visiting the El Morro fort. We took a taxi there and then walked back. It is a bit further, but could definitely be done in the time you have. There is less to explore at this fort, but the views are killer.

Good Morning,

We have been to San Juan many times . On our upcoming cruise in Nov. we will be docked in San Juan from 7AM to 3:30 ( back on board by 3 ). Will anything be opened that early or at all since it is a holiday that is celebrated in San Juan as well as here in the states? Thanks for your input & Happy cruising to all.

Joyce & Harvey Hertzler

Archived