Best Choice for Family Dining?

We are planning our first Royal Caribbean cruise this July (9 night on Explorer)with our extended family, which includes a 13 yo, a 4yo. & a 2yo. The rest of our group are adults. All of our other cruises have been on Celebrity, with 2 on Princess, & without children, for the most part.

What are your suggestions for the best dining options. Should we do early seating, or anytime dining? Is there an all casual restaurant, or is the buffet an option for a casual dinner?

Thanks for your help!

If you want to do traditional dining (at a set time), do choose the main (early) seating. Or, you can choose My Time Dining, where you go when you want. You will be required to pre-pay your tips for that option.

The Windjammer buffet is avail. for every meal, if you want something more casual, and there is a Johnny Rockets, as well. Room service is limited, but can fill a gap! the Cafe Promenade is avail., too!

We have always done early seating with the kids, 6pm is a good time for dinner, then the shows, or what ever after dinner, 8:30 is too late for us to eat. Never had the opportunity to try anytime dining, some have said you need to sign up or wait in line, don't think I would like that. We always eat bkfast and lunch in the windjammer as it is quick and easy with a good variety of lighter fare.

I would also suggest early dining at 6 pm or My Time Dining for dinner, as well as the Main Dining Room for both breakfast and lunch. Service for breakfast and lunch is quick and it is much more relaxing than trying to find a large table for your family in the Windjammer. At lunch in the Main Dining Room they have a fabulous salad bar that you can visit after they take your lunch order.

We loved the dining room experience so much (with two kids), we only visited the Windjammer twice during our 9 night cruise - the first day for lunch and the last morning for breakfast!

There's a better option for most of your family. I haven't tried it myself yet (will in late June) but I've asked around and it seems to work well.

FamilyMyTime, unlike its name is still fixed seating at 6pm. However, they promise to get kids who are in Adventure Ocean program out within 40 minutes and they meet the kids at the dining room door.

Whatever works best for you is the one you should choose. Each has its pros and cons. Early seating can sometimes be a problem if you are on a port intensive cruise that gets you back to the ship close to your dinner time. Late seating can have you finishing dinner as late as 10pm (or later). Windjammer is one of your options for all or some of your evenings and My Time Dining can allow you to change the time you dine to best fit your schedule on any given evening but would require more coordination and agreement on a particular time among your various family members. Since there are younger children in your party, early seating would probably be my recommendation since the kids will be anxious to get to Adventure Ocean for their evening activities, but the thirteen year old might be fine regardless of the time you choose to eat.:) You might also want to check out My Family Time Dining which is designed to accommodate families with young children enrolled in the Adventure Ocean program.

We had early dining at 6pm last month when we cruised Oasis. Our kids are 6 and 4. My DH and I both agree that anytime we cruise with the kids in the next 4 years or so, we will opt for My Time Dining. Our kids were so exhausted each day from playing at the pool, etc. that we would come back to our room around 3:30, give them a nap, get them up, go to dinner. What with all the activities onboard it was hard to get them to the room at 3:30 and we missed out on stuff. But, they needed a nap.

At least with My Time (or Windjammer, etc.), you are free to work your dinner time around the daily activities available and your little ones napping needs (not sure if yours nap but my did at 4 and 2 and still do at 6 and 4-well, at least on vacay since they are exhausted from having too much fun). Late dinner is def a no go with my family, they would fall asleep at the table.:)

Have a great cruise!!

Archived