Western Caribbean Question

fightpiter

I am hoping someone can tell me if a passport is required to leave the ship at any of the four ports or if you just take a room key and picture ID. Thanks for the answer.

your key card and picture ID, but if for some reason you are left or need to fly home you NEED a passport.

i always have my passport with me...just in case....never know!

It's best to take a copy of your passport (if you have one or are going to get one) instead of the real thing. That way if you was to lose it or it get stolen, you would still have it. If something happens while off the ship, the embassy will be able to contact the ship and the ship can get your real copy.

But the answer to your original question, if you are on any closed loop cruise, it is not required but suggested in case of emergencies.

why is everone on these boards so worried about losing their passport?

do you feel the same way about a driver license that you take with you everwhere? if you are in a different country you should always have youre passpot with you at all times

Probably because when you are going somewhere driving, you have your wallet/purse with you at all times where ever you are going (store, shopping, work and so on).

When you are on an island, a lot of people like to do water activities, which will force you to leave your personal belongings back on the beach, available to be stolen. Usually if you go to a beach in your home town, you have drove your car there and can lock up your license, purse, and so on. Not so when you are dropped off by a taxi.

Then there's the fact that when you are in a different country, and some are very poor, and a place that has tourist there all the time, there are worries about someone robbing. Yes it can happen at home, but still.

At least this is the reason that I don't take mine. :)

I am hoping someone can tell me if a passport is required to leave the ship at any of the four ports or if you just take a room key and picture ID. Thanks for the answer.

What I have been told by Guest Services is to the picture page of your passport copied ( they will do it for you) and take it off ship with you. I have never been asked for my ID except for embarkation and disembarkation.

why is everone on these boards so worried about losing their passport?

do you feel the same way about a driver license that you take with you everwhere? if you are in a different country you should always have youre passpot with you at all times

Meh, no thanks.

My drivers license is worth diddly in most places. My passport is gold in plenty of countries around the globe however.

My guide in Russia last summer was constantly warning us to keep a tight grip on our passports. She said that a US passport was the creme de la creme of passports and fetched about 10k on the black market.

Rome and Paris both have copious amounts of savvy pick pockets. I got to experience this first hand on the Metro in Paris. Thankfully my passport was locked down in the safe back at my hotel.

I have rarely had anyone even ask to see anything other than a ship card anywhere in the Caribbean and I haven’t missed many islands down there.

OP you are going to find everyone has their own way of doing the PASSPORT thing and you have to do what makes you feel comfortable and secure....until they make it mandatory (which i see coming one day) you have to decide as you are going to get different answers.

Perhaps I need to clarify my question, DW and I are taking our mothers on this cruise. Neither have ever been anywhere outside the country other than Canada and probably never will be again. DW and I both have passports but are simply wondering if the Moms will need them in Honduras or Belize to go off the ship for excursions. Hopefully someone who has recently taken this cruise can enlighten me. Thanks.

Perhaps I need to clarify my question, DW and I are taking our mothers on this cruise. Neither have ever been anywhere outside the country other than Canada and probably never will be again. DW and I both have passports but are simply wondering if the Moms will need them in Honduras or Belize to go off the ship for excursions. Hopefully someone who has recently taken this cruise can enlighten me. Thanks.

No they are not required as everyone has stated. It's an option on ANY of the ports that are closed looped.

I have been to both of these port 3 times this year and have never shown anything other than a ship card. I carried a ship card and some cash. Nothing else.

Moms are good go. Have fun! :)

Archived