St. Thomas Skyride to Paradise Point

f1rstclass

I do the Sky Ride every time I'm in St. Thomas...just to get a Bushwacker!

I think Carnival offers it as an excursion. But you don't have to do it through Carnival.

It's a short walk from the pier and there's a ticket booth there. Just pay and ride up.

We have done this before...beautiful views, some shops at the top, and the Bushwackers! In fact, when we were there in 2001 there was a man playing music in the little bar. He was playing Eric Clapton's "You Look Wonderful Tonight". It was so beautiful and relaxing. Everytime I hear the song it takes me back to that moment. That's even my husband's ring tome on my phone!

I do the Sky Ride every time I'm in St. Thomas...just to get a Bushwacker!

I think Carnival offers it as an excursion. But you don't have to do it through Carnival.

It's a short walk from the pier and there's a ticket booth there. Just pay and ride up.

Thanks for the information. This particular item in ST caught our eye.

You mentioned a "short walk". We are gonna have someone with mobility issues, particularly stairs cause her a problem, is there alot of steps?

Thanks again!!! :-)

We did it a few years back and really enjoyed it. Not quite enough little shops at the top for me, but an enjoyable time nonetheless.

I just tried to access their website at http://www.paradisepointtramway.com/ and got this error message:

Attention

This web hosting account has been disabled due to lack of payment. If this is your account, please contact your webmaster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.54 Server at http://www.paradisepointtramway.com Port 80

Gee, I wonder what *that* is all about!

we've done it. it's extremely overpriced, and we were on the fence about doing it.

kinda glad we did. got our pix, and i think we stayed a little longer to "get our money's worth". felt kinda silly.

a subsequent visit had us on a godfrey tour, and he showed us a view from the other side of the harbor was actually higher, and then we went up to mountaintop. his fee for a 3 hour tour was two bucks more that a silly gondola ride.

You mentioned a "short walk". We are gonna have someone with mobility issues, particularly stairs cause her a problem, is there alot of steps?

Okay...maybe not such a short walk for someone with mobility issues.

You'll need to walk to the main road (out of the port area) and cross the street. It's maybe 3-4 blocks to the left. All level sidewalk.

IIRC, there are stairs to the gondola and after you get out of the gondola, there are stairs to the restaurant/shops. Not just a couple of steps, many steps.

Someone else mentioned Godfrey. That might be a better choice as far as the stairs are concerned.

• 1 month later...

I have been there many times. I never miss going there. It is walking distance from the port. I walk there and buy my ticket at the window. I don't book it through the cruise line. Don't miss having a Bushwacker drink. I am going there again Nov 2011 and will be going up for another one. There is some small shops up there and real nice view of the port in St Thomas. Hope this helps.

We went last year. We did buy the tickets from the cruise line (NCL) because they were $2 cheaper than buying at the ride station PLUS NCL was offering that if you didn't have time to use the tickets and didn't go, they would refund your money.

I have noticed for several months that their website has been inactivated. I wonder why. They use to have coupons on there for $2 off their bushwacker. THEY ARE FABULOUS!

The view is fabulous and you have a great opportunity to take pictures of the island, water and the cruise ships in port.

1017715128_E6MEZ-M.jpg

1017715143_u7fYQ-M.jpg

Here is a map that shows where they are located in distance to the pier:

havensight-map-2004.gif

Now we had planned on going to Paradise before going to the beach, but once we arrived, they were closed and didn't open for another hour or so. So, we ended up walking back across the street and caught a cab to Sapphire and did this on the way back to the port before boarding the ship. There were 4 HUGE ships there that day (ours-NCL Epic, Carnival Dream, RC Oasis...and another that I don't remember which it was). We waited maybe 5 minutes in line to get on the tram to go up. Maybe 10 minutes to come back down. It wasn't bad at all.

Hope this helps. :)

mitsugirly, thanks for all the great information and pics. How much time did you spend at Paradise Point? We planned to do the ride after our beach time and weren't sure how much time we should allow. The ship leaves at 5:00pm. Need some help with a time frame. Thanks.

There are a lot of steps.

I would not consider it if you have problems with steps.

mitsugirly, thanks for all the great information and pics. How much time did you spend at Paradise Point? We planned to do the ride after our beach time and weren't sure how much time we should allow. The ship leaves at 5:00pm. Need some help with a time frame. Thanks.

I think we were only there for about 45 minutes or so. We just ordered a bushwacker and took a few pictures, then went back down. We were really tired from all the snorkeling and wanted to get back to the ship and eat. We had planned on eating a bite up there (while I took pictures), but my camera had been on all day and I only managed to get 2 pictures before the battery died. So...we went ahead and drank our drank and went back to the ship.

When we were there, I was surprised that on the lift they had very few gondolas. We waited for what seemed forever to get a gondola to get up there.

We got there early, so there was really no line, so just beware, from our experience, it is not set up to handle a large amount of people very well.

If my memory serves me well, there are 2. One goes up as the other comes down. I believe it takes 7 min for the trip 1 way. Not exactly sure on the time, but I do know this was a discussion on the boards back last year when everyone was talking about going to Paradise prior to my cruise and for some reason 7 minutes sticks out in my head. :confused: I'd have to double check and see if I can find the post.

Just found a picture to explain the trams:

SpringBreak2010097.jpg

Oh, and I was right. It's 7 minutes one way. Just be aware that there is no a/c in the trams, so it can get hot. However, it's only 7 min and when they were moving you get air coming in the windows.

• 1 month later...

The US Virgin Islands are a territory of the US. Skyride to Paradise Point are in need of elevators and ramps for those who use wheelchairs, walkers or a cane. This is unacceptable in the States - VIOLATION.

These people are not running a business that my family will ever visit again. Upon our visit, we found animals in the zoo that had no water, as well as other areas of neglect. St Thomas Skyride to Paradise Point is owned by Tramcon, per their website - sttparadisepoint.com/. Tramcon is at the bottom of the Home webpage. Check out the link below ordering them to rectify the problem regarding accessibility. The date of order is at the bottom of the link. As of August, 2011 no elevators and ramps. Why bother? Go to Mountain Top on the west end of the island.

http://www.ada.gov/tramcon.htm

Archived