DD scared of people in costumes.

mykds36

Would love to take a Disney cruise and include it w/a trip to WDW. I was wondering if anyone has children that are afraid of characters but still went on a Disney cruise and how your experience was? Or if anyone can vouch for the counselors as to whether they would make sure my DD would not be around in case some of the characters decided to visit the kids clubs? I really don't want to try a different cruise line....this one just speaks "family" to me. I think I may have to wait until my children are older too!!

As stated, some of the characters don't have any masks on -- the princesses, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. Obviously a few do -- Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, etc. I would guess (and it's admittedly a guess) that a child is so happy to see these particular figures that they aren't scared the way some are of a clown, etc. Also the characters with the "heads" on (Mickey, Minnie, etc.) don't talk, so they won't be making any scary sounds. I have seen lots of kids who were afraid of clowns or large figures, but never saw any scared of Mickey and friends.

Would love to take a Disney cruise and include it w/a trip to WDW. I was wondering if anyone has children that are afraid of characters but still went on a Disney cruise and how your experience was? Or if anyone can vouch for the counselors as to whether they would make sure my DD would not be around in case some of the characters decided to visit the kids clubs? I really don't want to try a different cruise line....this one just speaks "family" to me. I think I may have to wait until my children are older too!!

If you do consider another cruise line, you should steer well clear of Carnival. This thing gives me nightmares.

The Disney characters will not approach your DD. They are trained to let the child approach them first. So if she were to watch from a distance first, maybe she'll do OK. If not, she doesn't have to go up close and personal with them.

:)

My DS was terrified of costumed characters, and usually when he sees the other kids getting into the fun he warms up. He's not exactly sitting on laps or screaming their name, but he's definately having a good time and enjoying the game or craft or whatever is going on.

For Disney, though, I have a feeling he will throw caution to the wind and be swept away by seeing familiar and beloved characters!!!

Hope you book and have a great time!!!

My DD was terrified of anything in costume. We went to a Red Robin (restaurant) once and they had someone dressed up like a giant red bird. SHe screamed anytime that bird got within 5 feet of her.

I booked a Disney cruise and my plan was to just not take her to meet any of the characters if she didn't want to. Beforehand I bought the DVD Sing-along-songs Disneyland Fun. It is Disney songs sung throughout the Disneyland park, so DD could see kids singing and dancing and having fun with the characters. She could also see the size of the characters compared to the real life children.

Much to my surprise, when we went on the cruise, she loved the characters! Well, all of the non-villains at least. She would go up and give them big hugs.

We went to a Red Robin (restaurant) once and they had someone dressed up like a giant red bird. SHe screamed anytime that bird got within 5 feet of her.

I'm with her. I'm terrified of birds, so I would be screaming right along with her.

Thanks for the advice. I can't even take her to Chuck E. Cheese!!! I didn't think about the Characters not approaching but now I recall seeing them staying back and just waving at the kids. I just hope I can take this vacation within the next couple of years. Have to convince the Hubby too!!! What an ordeal this is turning out to be.

Thanks for the advice. I can't even take her to Chuck E. Cheese!!! I didn't think about the Characters not approaching but now I recall seeing them staying back and just waving at the kids. I just hope I can take this vacation within the next couple of years. Have to convince the Hubby too!!! What an ordeal this is turning out to be.

Chuck E cheese- that reminds me my DD was terrified of Tucan Sam (cheerios bird) just last week at walmart, and she loves almost every disney character (since age 2 now 5), except the villians

Archived