May 2012- Not thrilled with my options, what would you do?

So I'm kinda bummed that there realy arn't very many options for Caribbean cruises come May 2012. DH and I try to take two big trips/cruises a year. One in May and the other in Oct. Seems like a vast majority of RCI's and other cruislines (NCL's) ships are in Alaska (May) or Europe (May-Oct).

So we've been waiting, hoping that they are just keeping some stuff "hidden" but no luck.. anyways here are my options and Im sorry if I am a little long winded but basically none of it thrills me, so what would you do? Also what's important to us in order of importance is ports, price, Food & entertainment options, The ship itself, & service... (Service is important to me but honestly I've sailed NCL, Carnival and RCI and really havnt seen that big of a difference between lines)

There are only 3 RCI ships doing Caribbean in May Freedom, Oasis, and Allure (as a side note, we are doing a western caribbean on NCL in October with friends and the ports are Ocho, grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Great Stirup Cay Bahamas so we do not want to repeat ports and would only be interested in Eastern Caribbean routes for May)

Price breakdown:

Allure- starts at $949/person

Oasis- Starts at $915/person

Freedom- Starts at $749/person plus we'd have to pay for gas/tolls/and parking to drive up to Port Canaveral from Boynton Beach, where we live. (If we sailed out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale my dad would just drop us off and pick us up from the port.)

The other option Ive been kicking around is Bermuda. If we did Bermuda we'd do a 7 nighter out of NY on NCL Star and make it a NYC/Bermuda combo trip as DH has never been to the big city. This starts at $549/person plus we'd have to pay for airfare and a hotel to overnight in NYC. So it would be comparable to Allure.

And then our last option is to explore Carnival as I see that they have many ships out of Fort Lauderdale, San Juan, and Miami doing Eastern, Western, and Southern Caribbean cruises. This would be our least expensive option (if we did FLL or MIA) as the cruise prices start at $539/person.

And then just to throw it out there we're also considering 7 nights at an AI in either Jamaica or Cancun. :rolleyes:

soooo... what would you do and why?

We've never been there and so we are taking the Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore for a 6nt. We live in MD so driving to the port will be easy. What's nice is we stay 2nts in Bermuda as the ship is our hotel. It's 2 half days and one full day. Have fun whatever you do.:)

I'm in the same boat as you. I would like to book something in August 2012 but I really do not like the options RCCL is giving me out of Florida. I'm sailing on the Freedom this August and I don't have any desire to sail on the Allure or Oasis. I'm not really a big fan of the Super-Mega-Liners however that may change after my Freedom cruise. I may opt for a Bermuda cruise.

Given your options I would take the Bermuda cruise. Bermuda is a beautiful island with plenty to see. I've taken two cruises and two land based vacations there and would go back in a heartbeat.

okay... seems like Bermuda is in the lead... to be honest it's the one Im leaning towards the most for a few reasons. 1. I think having three days in one place will really let us explore and do alot of different things, but we're not there so long that we would get bored (which is one of my concerns about an AI land stay somwhere). 2. We've never been, so it would be a nice change from the Caribbean islands 3. I'm from NY and love the city and I think it would be a great excuse to show DH NYC.

On the other hand I'm worried that May would still be too cold. We're floridians and well we're used to warm waters, if we went I know we'd want to do some snorkeling as I hear they have some really cool wrecks to snorkle.

We have never been to Bermuda by ship, but we have been by plane! I highly recommend Bermuda by ship! We are considering a Bermuda cruise in 2012..................................................................

You will love it, love it!:D;):)

But having spent 6 nights in NYC I would want to plan for longer than an overnight stop.

Venus,

I think you and I are related somewhere down the line;)

I just told DH he has to take me to NY (he is from NY) for several days before. His sister can drop us off in NJ..........and off we go to Bermuda!:D

PS-You and I met on the NV 2 day cruise, but you may not remember me! :p

Ollie-Your right, we spent 5 glorious nights in Bermuda 20 years ago........I'd love to spend 6 nights in NYC..................!!

sunandseagirl617- Im really so sorry but I dont remember anyone from the NV 2 nighter lol. I try to block that one out of my memory cause the guy I was dating at the time turned out to be the BIGGEST LOOSER and I dont mean the tv show. What a schmuck!

sunandseagirl617- Im really so sorry but I dont remember anyone from the NV 2 nighter lol. I try to block that one out of my memory cause the guy I was dating at the time turned out to be the BIGGEST LOOSER and I dont mean the tv show. What a schmuck!

He was a jerk! I didn't know you were dating him! LOL...I think he was a last minute addition right?

I was just getting caught up on your marriage cruise etc...........! Did you meet your new husband on a cruise? You look so happy!!!

Ive cruised to Bermuda twice in the month of May and I would say the ocean is still way too cold for water activities. There are lots of great land activities to do but if you want to go in the ocean I would opt for the caribbean.

The city in May is hit or miss - likely cool and damp (especially earlier in the month - just starting to hit 60's consistently now)... but for 1 day in NYC with the cruise being the main destination... I think you can handle it! Hardest part about that is exploring NY in 1 day lol.

I'd probably do the Freedom or Allure. But, I live in Connecticut so the whole city benifit to me is not a big deal - 50 minutes on the train and I'm at Grand Central Terminal.

But I would certainly want to get out of New England weather in May. But it doesn't look like weather is one of your priorities so if it works for you - go for it!

In the same boat as you only we can only cruise in the summer and prices are much much higher on bigger Royal ships. Really don't want to go on Oasis at ridiculous price but might be the only option. Since we really love Celebrity, not sure if Carnival or Norwegian would work for us. Bermuda is an option but we have been there and don't really want to spend 7 days there. Very disappointed at the lack of cruises on all lines in the Caribbean - hopefully with airfares being ridiculous that will change. Right now we have Seranade booked for 2011 and are considering a land vacation for 2012 due to lack of Caribbean cruise choices.

The city in May is hit or miss - likely cool and damp (especially earlier in the month - just starting to hit 60's consistently now)... but for 1 day in NYC with the cruise being the main destination... I think you can handle it! Hardest part about that is exploring NY in 1 day lol.

I'd probably do the Freedom or Allure. But, I live in Connecticut so the whole city benifit to me is not a big deal - 50 minutes on the train and I'm at Grand Central Terminal.

But I would certainly want to get out of New England weather in May. But it doesn't look like weather is one of your priorities so if it works for you - go for it!

In May the average temperatures s are high of 75 and low of 68.

In the same boat as you only we can only cruise in the summer and prices are much much higher on bigger Royal ships. Really don't want to go on Oasis at ridiculous price but might be the only option. Since we really love Celebrity, not sure if Carnival or Norwegian would work for us. Bermuda is an option but we have been there and don't really want to spend 7 days there. Very disappointed at the lack of cruises on all lines in the Caribbean - hopefully with airfares being ridiculous that will change. Right now we have Seranade booked for 2011 and are considering a land vacation for 2012 due to lack of Caribbean cruise choices.

I did a quick search on RCI's website for June, July, August 2012 7-day cruises and came up with a plethora of options. All starting at under $1,000 except a 9-nighter from New Jersey.....

In May the average temperatures s are high of 75 and low of 68.

According to who, wikipedia? lol... maybe down in Philly where you are. Not in NY though. Haven't been in the 70's but maybe a few days month. Plus, I said May is hit or miss... which means it can be 80 and sunny or it can be 55 and rainy. And for the past 4-5 years our spring-time weather has been very wet.

I believe the hi today was 67 (not bad). But the temps you're describing are closer to the end of May/early June. If those were the hi's and low's people would plant their vegetable gardens in May. Night time temps just starting getting consistently in the 50s. Which means my tomato plants are still in the basement :mad:

Because of the vegetables I do follow the weather this time of year pretty closely.. May is pretty unpredictable and April showers are carrying over. But either way, it doesn't compare to the temps in Florida for a tropical vacation.

I did a quick search on RCI's website for June, July, August 2012 7-day cruises and came up with a plethora of options. All starting at under $1,000 except a 9-nighter from New Jersey.....

Not to the Caribbean.

According to who, wikipedia? lol... maybe down in Philly where you are. Not in NY though. Haven't been in the 70's but maybe a few days month. Plus, I said May is hit or miss... which means it can be 80 and sunny or it can be 55 and rainy. And for the past 4-5 years our spring-time weather has been very wet.

I believe the hi today was 67 (not bad). But the temps you're describing are closer to the end of May/early June. If those were the hi's and low's people would plant their vegetable gardens in May. Night time temps just starting getting consistently in the 50s. Which means my tomato plants are still in the basement :mad:

Because of the vegetables I do follow the weather this time of year pretty closely.. May is pretty unpredictable and April showers are carrying over. But either way, it doesn't compare to the temps in Florida for a tropical vacation.

UH, I was referring to Bermuda.:rolleyes:

I thought that is where the cruise was going to.

UH, I was referring to Bermuda.:rolleyes:

I thought that is where the cruise was going to.

lol.. yea it is. But I was talking about NYC. OP was discussing spending a day in Manhattan or whatever. And they live in Florida.. so I was just kinda saying that I think the weather in FL far surpasses the weather in NY in May. Personally, if I were planning a trip for this time of year, I'd embark from FL, not NY/NJ. But to each their own.. just my 2.

lol.. yea it is. But I was talking about NYC. OP was discussing spending a day in Manhattan or whatever. And they live in Florida.. so I was just kinda saying that I think the weather in FL far surpasses the weather in NY in May. Personally, if I were planning a trip for this time of year, I'd embark from FL, not NY/NJ. But to each their own.. just my 2.

New York city, May averages 51 to 73.

Miami May averages 72 to 85.

Personally, if I was touring in Manhattan, looking at the extremes, I would opt for 51 rather than 85.

I'm not so much concerned about the weather in NY as I am the weather in Bermuda. Its just maybe 2 nights and 1 1/2 days we can deal with being a little chilly, I just really want to be able to enjoy the ocean in Bermuda... seems like it might be too cold for us from what a few of you have said. Which is seriously making me re-think Bermuda. Ughhh this is so freaking frustrating. I guess it could be worse, we could be less fortunate and not be able to travel at all.

sunandseagirl617- yes he was a last minute addition and I paid for his cruise which he promised to pay me back for (it was only a couple hundred with the taxes and everything) and he never did! The breaking point was on Valentines day he asked me to come over I was thinking he was going to take me out of maybe have a nice dinner ready. He ended up having nothing planned and then had the nerve to ask me to do his dishes for him. That was that! Shane my DH and I met through mutual friends, our wedding on the Grandeur was his 1st cruise and now he's hooked! We're super happy! Just closed on our 1st home Dec 31st and got a new puppy at Christmas.. just doing all the newley wed things! My wedding photos are in my signature.

New York city, May averages 51 to 73.

Miami May averages 72 to 85.

Personally, if I was touring in Manhattan, looking at the extremes, I would opt for 51 rather than 85.

50 is certainly pleasant to be walking around in. But when it's 50 out and there's a monsoon outside as well, it makes it tough. And that is the weather you would start a cruise in for May as well. To me, it's just not ideal weather for anything. June... another story. June is typically a very nice month.

OP, there is a 9-night Bermuda and Caribbean cruise on Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ (very close to NYC). There are 2 sailings in May 2012: May 10, & May 24. The RCL website shows prices starting at $849 pp. Since you are willing to travel to NYC, maybe this would fit the bill? Ports of call are Bermuda, St Martin, San Juan, and Labadee. I am booked on the same itinerary in July '12. I am looking forward to relaxing on the 4 sea days.

OP, there is a 9-night Bermuda and Caribbean cruise on Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ (very close to NYC). There are 2 sailings in May 2012: May 10, & May 24. The RCL website shows prices starting at $849 pp. Since you are willing to travel to NYC, maybe this would fit the bill? Ports of call are Bermuda, St Martin, San Juan, and Labadee. I am booked on the same itinerary in July '12. I am looking forward to relaxing on the 4 sea days.

Wow... I might look into that one.

That sounds like it would be perfect and I thank you for the suggestion. Time wise though it wouldn't work. My company will not allow me to take off more then 5 buisness days in a row. I see that those leave on a Thursday and don't return till the following Saturday and I wouldn't be able to take off Thursday and Friday and then the whole following week. This is also what is stopping me from doing Europe, Alaska, and Hawaii cause I would need to arrive on a Friday to make a Saturday sailing. Legistics suck!!

Archived