Epic - category mx?

kerrytens

I was checking the rates for my cruise today (I live in hope!) and discovered a new category listed under the mini suites - mx. It was quite a bit more money than the ma category. I thought I'd look into it a bit further and do a fake booking but was surprised to see the cabins listed (8049 and 8050). I really don't see anything at all special with these rooms to warrant the higher price tag.

Has anyone been in a category mx room (as I imagine there are more than 2)? Why are they more expensive? What's up with them?

I noticed some changes as well. If you go to the accommodation page for the ship you will see they added different categories. There are categories for mid-ship and also larger balconies. Seems they've gotten wise to us. The MX category is the same room, but deck 8 forward. It should be LESS expensive than other rooms of that type because the location would be considered less attractive than others. Having said that, I looked at the plan too and don't see anything unique about them. They're not even in the same position opposite each other or anything. Strange.

http://www2.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/staterooms/2/mini-suite#tab_detail

I noticed some changes as well. If you go to the accommodation page for the ship you will see they added different categories. There are categories for mid-ship and also larger balconies. Seems they've gotten wise to us. The MX category is the same room, but deck 8 forward. It should be LESS expensive than other rooms of that type because the location would be considered less attractive than others. Having said that, I looked at the plan too and don't see anything unique about them. They're not even in the same position opposite each other or anything. Strange.

http://www2.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/staterooms/2/mini-suite#tab_detail

Exactly. I don't get it. One might as well book a suite and get the perks for just a bit more, considering the price tag NCL seems to think it warrants. LOL!

I certainly won't be switching my ma booking over to this mysteriously high priced mx category:rolleyes: It just has to be a glitch ...

For the most part, cabin pricing is determined by supply and demand. However, there are exceptions, and this case illustrates one of them.

There are times when NCL wants to "steer" booking toward certain categories. Typically this is done to prevent an early sell-out of a category as this type of demand is one that causes the upsell fairy to go to work to try to create some room within the sold-out category. The easiest way to "steer" people away from a category is to inflate the price to a point where the category is no longer attractive....that way people will naturally migrate toward other (more economically priced) categories. However, if someone really wants that category cabin bad enough, and is willing to pay the price...:eek:

For the most part, cabin pricing is determined by supply and demand. However, there are exceptions, and this case illustrates one of them.

There are times when NCL wants to "steer" booking toward certain categories. Typically this is done to prevent an early sell-out of a category as this type of demand is one that causes the upsell fairy to go to work to try to create some room within the sold-out category. The easiest way to "steer" people away from a category is to inflate the price to a point where the category is no longer attractive....that way people will naturally migrate toward other (more economically priced) categories. However, if someone really wants that category cabin bad enough, and is willing to pay the price...:eek:

I get the manipulation concept, but what could they be accomplishing by inflating the cost of just 2 rooms in a less attractive location? If an upsell fairy called me to go from a MA to a more expensive MX I'd just laugh. Also, it would not have to be more expensive than the other M rooms to get me to switch from a standard balcony.

I do understand that marketing technique but not for a category that appears to only have 2 rooms (I searched the floorplan for others and found none). There doesn't appear to be anything exceptional about these rooms either.

It really seems more and more like a glitch in the system vs a marketing ploy trying to steer clients to the other 4 categories, many in highly desirable areas (IMHO). Afterall, why would anyone pay double the price of a ma, just a few hundred less than a suite, and stay in the same room as I'm in but on a lower floor??

Thanks for the input SeaShark, though - it is appreciated:)

Edit: I just read SDMike's response - seems like we are on the same page here :)

I get the manipulation concept, but what could they be accomplishing by inflating the cost of just 2 rooms in a less attractive location? If an upsell fairy called me to go from a MA to a more expensive MX I'd just laugh. Also, it would not have to be more expensive than the other M rooms to get me to switch from a standard balcony.

I do understand that marketing technique but not for a category that appears to only have 2 rooms (I searched the floorplan for others and found none). There doesn't appear to be anything exceptional about these rooms either.

It really seems more and more like a glitch in the system vs a marketing ploy trying to steer clients to the other 4 categories, many in highly desirable areas (IMHO). Afterall, why would anyone pay double the price of a ma, just a few hundred less than a suite, and stay in the same room as I'm in but on a lower floor??

Thanks for the input SeaShark, though - it is appreciated:)

Edit: I just read SDMike's response - seems like we are on the same page here :)

You can't look at it from our perspective, you have to look at it from NCL's perspective...

The MX category is the lowest for Mini-Suites. It is the category used for the "priced from...." ads. If the category sells out, then they have to use a higher priced category as their leader price. Keeping these two cabins available until later will help with the marketing.

The very idea of this is to get people to NOT book the MX cabins....at this time...later on, when they are ready to sell them, the price will be altered. Just watch and see.

But doesn't raising the price to keep them from selling out the category also eliminate it as the "prices from" benchmark? If they want to raise the entry price for the category because they're running out, why not raise it to the next level, not more expensive than any other cabin in the category?

But doesn't raising the price to keep them from selling out the category also eliminate it as the "prices from" benchmark? If they want to raise the entry price for the category because they're running out, why not raise it to the next level, not more expensive than any other cabin in the category?

It will keep it at the level they need it at until it is time to use it as the category leader...THEN they will lower the price to where they want to sell it.

Raising it to the next level isn't enough...it is much simpler to raise is way above...that way it eliminates people even considering the category. Remember the idea here is to keep these cabins from being booked until later. As long as it is working....what is the big issue?

It will keep it at the level they need it at until it is time to use it as the category leader...THEN they will lower the price to where they want to sell it.

Raising it to the next level isn't enough...it is much simpler to raise is way above...that way it eliminates people even considering the category. Remember the idea here is to keep these cabins from being booked until later. As long as it is working....what is the big issue?

I am following you here but I have a question - I checked again today and the mini suites are the only category trying this technique. Are they doing this because mini suites are NOT selling on my sailing?

Either way, I check daily just to be sure my level hasn't dropped ... and if what you are saying is true, it may not at all since NCL is attempting to make it look like a great deal with this doubley priced, 2 room only, deck 8 mx category:rolleyes: Oh well, at least I know that I didn't pay the going rate on my category either so I should be happy - right:D

I am following you here but I have a question - I checked again today and the mini suites are the only category trying this technique. Are they doing this because mini suites are NOT selling on my sailing?

Either way, I check daily just to be sure my level hasn't dropped ... and if what you are saying is true, it may not at all since NCL is attempting to make it look like a great deal with this doubley priced, 2 room only, deck 8 mx category:rolleyes: Oh well, at least I know that I didn't pay the going rate on my category either so I should be happy - right:D

They are probably doing this to keep this particular category open for a while longer. Keep in mind that since leader pricing is advertised as inside/oceanview/balcony/suite on the website, the minisuite category is the lead-in price for ALL cabins categories above balcony.

They are probably doing this to keep this particular category open for a while longer. Keep in mind that since leader pricing is advertised as inside/oceanview/balcony/suite on the website, the minisuite category is the lead-in price for ALL cabins categories above balcony.

So, they are really trying to get suites moving then????? That would make sense to me. Thanks

Of course, they could just move me to one and fill it up that way:D

Archived