Sailing out of Galveston

msstarr22

I am considering venturing out of my comfort zone and sailing out of Galveston? I don't mean that to sound negative or anything so please help me. I will of course fly into Houston, do you recommend staying in Houston or Galveston. I have been to Houston 3 times for work and they had tours for our evenings so I am looking to do something new. What shuttle or bus service is available as we want to spend two days before our cruise in the town. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

There is a lot of Galveston information on the gulf port departure thread section. Id say almost half and half with New Orleans. A bit of Mobile.

I would stay on the seawall of Galveston on the ocean. Why leave from a beach town and not see the beach??

The section above can names some shuttles, not the least expensive shuttle service, but the shuttle service prices is probably the one down side to going out of Galveston. I love the town.

I agree with Firefly. I love Galveston and there is a ton of info on the port of call boards. A friend that flies into Houston says it is cheaper to just rent a limo service. I always stay in Galveston, but I drive to port. There are lots of hotels on Seawall Blvd and the beach is right across the street.

We flew into Houston, rented a car and drove to Galveston and stayed on Seawall Blvd. We dropped the car off at the rental car office near the port and they had a free shuttle to the port. It was 4 yrs. ago in August, so I don't remember the rental car company. But I'm sure you could find it on the boards mentioned above. It was the cheapest way to go for us because we had our 4 kids with us on that cruise.

I agree that Galveston isn't a gorgeous beach. But you are on the ocean watching the waves roll in which is so much nicer than an inland view. They had a pier across the street from our hotel that we went out on and had a drink. It was a great atmosphere. And there were a lot of people on the beach there.

We flew into Houston, rented a car and drove to Galveston and stayed on Seawall Blvd. We dropped the car off at the rental car office near the port and they had a free shuttle to the port. It was 4 yrs. ago in August, so I don't remember the rental car company. But I'm sure you could find it on the boards mentioned above. It was the cheapest way to go for us because we had our 4 kids with us on that cruise.

I agree that Galveston isn't a gorgeous beach. But you are on the ocean watching the waves roll in which is so much nicer than an inland view. They had a pier across the street from our hotel that we went out on and had a drink. It was a great atmosphere. And there were a lot of people on the beach there.

Sadly, that pier is gone now, demolished by Hurricane Ike in 2008. I don't think they have rebuilt the piers yet. I was on the island earlier this year, and I didn't see any. I could be wrong, though. Perhaps a local could elaborate.

I love Galveston. Everyone is correct to suggest staying at a hotel/motel on the Seawall. But don't forget to check out The Strand, which is about 20 blocks inland, and only a block from the ship port. Also, if you enjoy tours of magnificent old homes, you can do that as well. At the very least, drive down Broadway Avenue to see the outside of some of the old mansions. It takes my breath away every time.

They have rebuilt the 61st street pier, and are working on the the big fishing pier off of 81st street? Somewhere down there.

Galveston is back from Ike, and the Strand is up and running. Don't hesitate to spend your two days there.

Everyone here is so helpful, thank you very much. I haven't booked my cruise yet due to the cost of the transfers and such but you make things sound so much better that this may be my week to book. Thanks again!

I am considering venturing out of my comfort zone and sailing out of Galveston? I don't mean that to sound negative or anything so please help me. I will of course fly into Houston, do you recommend staying in Houston or Galveston. I have been to Houston 3 times for work and they had tours for our evenings so I am looking to do something new. What shuttle or bus service is available as we want to spend two days before our cruise in the town. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dunno know where Newton Falls is but if you've been to Galveston you know the island is beautiful.

Stay somewhere on the south side of the island, the Seawall. There's literally dozens of hotels down there directly across from the beach.

To do? If you're interested in cultural events you need to visit Galveston.com or this link from their website: http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/ If we're just gonna chill we love hangin' out at The Spot. Saturday night pitchers of beer are $5 and the food is great!!!

Limos are generally the least expensive way to get to the island from the airports but you can also do a one way car rental. I believe that Enterprise is now available for drop off on Sunday.

C'mon down! Galveston is our homeport and we love it!!!!

:D

We flew into Houston, rented a car and drove to Galveston and stayed on Seawall Blvd. We dropped the car off at the rental car office near the port and they had a free shuttle to the port.

this probably will not be possible either as the car rental is not open on sunday, and Im assuming thats when the OP is going to book to leave. The car would have to be turned on early Sat I believe.

Dunno know where Newton Falls is but if you've been to Galveston you know the island is beautiful.

Stay somewhere on the south side of the island, the Seawall. There's literally dozens of hotels down there directly across from the beach.

To do? If you're interested in cultural events you need to visit Galveston.com or this link from their website: http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/ If we're just gonna chill we love hangin' out at The Spot. Saturday night pitchers of beer are $5 and the food is great!!!

Limos are generally the least expensive way to get to the island from the airports but you can also do a one way car rental. I believe that Enterprise is now available for drop off on Sunday.

C'mon down! Galveston is our homeport and we love it!!!!

:D

Newton Falls, small town Ohio. I have been to Houston and Dallas for work but never for pleasure unfortunately. I have seen the sights and the malls in Houston as time was set aside for that. I am just concerned as to how to get from point A-Houston to point B-Galveston.

The cost of the hotels in Galveston is about twice what it is in Houston.

On our last cruise, 3 years ago, we stayed in Galveston and the price wasn't bad at all. However this time, we found it to be close to double what we paid last time, so this time we are staying in Texas City. I love the beach and would love to stay in Galveston, but I would rather save the money for souvenirs.

We cruised on the Conquest out of Galveston, last October. We stayed at the Hilton on SeaWall Blvd (basically on the ocean). There is a ton of hotels on the strip there to stay. We usually like to stay at Hilton/Hampton hotels because of the points we earn, but it was very reasonably priced for what we got, I think it was $89 p/night, AND THE BEST PART :) - the parking while you cruise is free with FREE transportation! :D That was WELL WORTH the price for the hotel room to us. They take you to park at a very secure place, and again take you to port and pick you up from the pier at no charge, can't beat it! Best of luck to you on your dcision, but that is a hotel you can't go wrong with.

We cruised on the Conquest out of Galveston, last October. We stayed at the Hilton on SeaWall Blvd (basically on the ocean). There is a ton of hotels on the strip there to stay. We usually like to stay at Hilton/Hampton hotels because of the points we earn, but it was very reasonably priced for what we got, I think it was $89 p/night, AND THE BEST PART :) - the parking while you cruise is free with FREE transportation! :D That was WELL WORTH the price for the hotel room to us. They take you to park at a very secure place, and again take you to port and pick you up from the pier at no charge, can't beat it! Best of luck to you on your dcision, but that is a hotel you can't go wrong with.

$89 per night! That is a great price for Galveston. Lucky you! I have never found a price under $150 for the nice hotels on the Seawall. Perhaps it was less for you because it was October - off season for Galveston. The times I have looked up prices were for summer visits, so I'm sure the prices are in accordance with the season.

You stayed in Houston and only cruised out of Galveston that one time.

I really find Galveston hotels to be quite cheap. We did quality inn and suites beachfront in late January for $45.

It really depends on the time of year. Sept this same hotel is going to be over $100.

$89 per night! That is a great price for Galveston. Lucky you! I have never found a price under $150 for the nice hotels on the Seawall. Perhaps it was less for you because it was October - off season for Galveston. The times I have looked up prices were for summer visits, so I'm sure the prices are in accordance with the season.

Yes, thats what I am sure, is we were on the off-season rates, I just looked out of curiosity, and it shows $89 p/night for Sept & Oct this year. We love cruising in the fall though!

On our last cruise, 3 years ago, we stayed in Galveston and the price wasn't bad at all. However this time, we found it to be close to double what we paid last time, so this time we are staying in Texas City. I love the beach and would love to stay in Galveston, but I would rather save the money for souvenirs.

You may want to consider staying a liitle further north on hwy 146 in Kemah instead of Texas City.It's just about 15 minutes further and much more to do.The Kemah Boardwalk is there and there are some new hotels in that area.The new Holiday Inn is right next to the Boardwalk shopping area.Lots of great restaurants within walking distance.

Hi. I recently left Galvaston on the Voyager O S-TA and returning on the Magic in Nov.

We took Galveston Limo from IAH took 3.75 hrs to get to the hotel after going round all the terminals at both airports and dropping off people at various hotels.[advertised at 2 hrs] Also talked to a lady who had been on a previous VOS cruise out of Galveston she

said there had been 50 % kids on board running about without parental control, mainly

Mexican nationals.

You stayed in Houston and only cruised out of Galveston that one time.

I really find Galveston hotels to be quite cheap. We did quality inn and suites beachfront in late January for $45.

It really depends on the time of year. Sept this same hotel is going to be over $100.

I was not making a value judgement. I have research this issue before and since. When comparing apples to apple (three star to three star - four star to four star ...) the prices on the island are about double what they are in Houston.

Whether or not any price is a good price or not, I am not offering an opinion. I am only comparing prices from one to the next.

For example (using a common site geared to hotels) I found the following for late February 2012:

In Houston there were 57 three star hotels ranging in price from $73 to $139 with an average of $95.91.

In Galveston there were 15 three star hotels ranging in price from $81 to $249 with an average of $126.80.

In Houston there were nine 3.5 star hotels ranging in price from $88 to $206 with an average of $124.11. Take out the one for $206 and there were eight 3.5 star hotels ranging in price from $88 to $149 with an average of $113.88.

In Galveston I found one 3.5 star hotel for $294

In Houston I found 9 four star hotels ranging in price from $103 to $207 with an average of $142.11.

In Houston I found one 4.5 star hotel for $199

Galveston didn't have any 4.0 or 4.5 star hotels.

In Galveston there was one 2.0 star hotel that offered free cruise parking if you stayed two nights. However, the average price was $176 per night.

You can actually find hotels that are in the fifty to sixty buck a night price range and if you do some research you'll be very pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Our group, the Crazies, have gotten rooms at the Hilton for several years at $99 with no problems. The only issues we had was that we couldn't bring our own drinking supplies to the pool and that internet access was $10 a night...

Hi. I recently left Galvaston on the Voyager O S-TA and returning on the Magic in Nov.

We took Galveston Limo from IAH took 3.75 hrs to get to the hotel after going round all the terminals at both airports and dropping off people at various hotels.[advertised at 2 hrs] Also talked to a lady who had been on a previous VOS cruise out of Galveston she

said there had been 50 % kids on board running about without parental control, mainly

Mexican nationals.

And "Mexican nationals" has what do do with Galveston? In my experience, kids are kids, mostly because of their parents, nothing to do with heritage. The "Mecican" kids I know are the most polite kids anywhere, that is the way their parents have raised them.

The Galvez is a wonderfull old hotel that is upscale. It ALSO is haunted! We requested a room on the "haunted" floor--unfortunately we saw nothing! It has a whole lot of history as she is 100 years old. There are some wonderfull Hotels on the Strand. Some of the hotels offer transportation to the pier. Bishops Palace,Moody Mansion, & the Strand are great places to see. I live 15 miles away from Galveston (Texas City) and always love to take out of town guests there!

Archived