Is alcohol policy really stricter then before?

Royal Caribbean has made several policy changes regarding alcohol since your last cruise with them.

The biggest is they no longer allow you to purchase bottles in their onboard store and paying an additional $9.95 so you could take the bottle back to your cabin. That was discontinued August 5, 2005.

The second is what they are looking for when your bags, checked and carry-ons, go through their security scanners.

###

Royal Caribbean has made several policy changes regarding alcohol since your last cruise with them.

The biggest is they no longer allow you to purchase bottles in their onboard store and paying an additional $9.95 so you could take the bottle back to your cabin. That was discontinued August 5, 2005.

The second is what they are looking for when your bags, checked and carry-ons, go through their security scanners.

###

Not that anyone cares, since it's gone, but it was $9. :D

I would say to CBCit that the rules are about the same; it is the enforcement which is much stricter.

PC is right. They check the bags for suspicious items, and if they don't like what they see, they hold the bags and you have to go down to (usually) Deck 1 to open the bag, give up your forbidden items(s) and then get to haul your own suitcase up to your cabin.

We have always put a few bottles in our packed luggage and have never had a problem.Has this really changed or are most people just to afraid to try it?

Maybe a little clarifacation. Before when??

I can tell you that in 2003, we carried liquor aboard, also purchased it from the onboard store for use in our cabin.

The last time that we were aboard, quite recently, many had to report to deck one to claim their luggage, and hand over any liquor found in their luggage.

They have the most childish rules pertaining to alcohol, and it's almost sickening

We just returned from a Princess cruise, where we are Elite, and they had a mini liquor set up ready for us, in our cabin......complements of the line. Should we require more......it was available for sale. Expensive........yes, but it that's what we wanted, for our cabin, it was available.

We are Pinnacle with Royal Caribbean, but that does not matter.

And I'm not looking at this from what we do or don't do with either cruise line..........I'm just saying what each cruise line is willing to do to allow, or not allow liquor in cabins.

Royal Caribbean will not care as long as their ships sail full.

Here is the interesting thing. With Princess, with the mini bar set up, and the fact that we purchase a few larger bottles from them.........our bar tab for a 14 night sailing was about $650.00.

For the last 4 sailings with Royal Caribbean, with the Concierge Lounge, our tab has been under $50.00. We feel that the bar charges on Royal Caribbean are a rip off.

Princess is a few dollars less, but no concierge lounge. They have an Elite lounge, with drinks of the day going for $3.75 per....in the lounge.

Somehow, I get the feeling that the bottom line for Princess is better than Royal Caribbean, even tho Princess has a much more leanient policy on liquor consumed in the cabin.

I'm not saying one is better than the other.........I'm just trying to say that........at the highest tier level on each, costs, and what it might mean to cruisers that travel on both lines.

Oh, by the way........loyalty means nothing on either one........unless you are the top cruiser.........which each one has a member that has over 4 years cruising experience.....with the line, and with their systems.......one would think it's more like 7 years!!:D

Rick

I was called to the "naughty room" to claim the luggage in which I had packed all our liquids. By "liquids" I mean: Shampoo, Conditioner, Hair Spray, Sun Screen. There was no alcohol, but I packed full-sized, rather than trial sized, bottles of these grooming items which apparently set off flags. This has NEVER happened to me on nine previous cruises. And yes, the line to claim suspicious luggage was VERY long.

Archived