How Casual Can You Dress in the MDR's?

CK77

I'm packing up for my fist ever cruise this Thursday on the Caribbean Princess and here is what I'm wondering this morning...

For Dinner in the MDR's and the Steak House I know its smart Casual, but what's acceptable and what's not?

Would a Polo type Collar shirt with Nice Dockers and dress shoes be good?

I'm taking some nice Button Shirts and Dress Pants, but I don't want to over pack, but I would like some variety and not wear the same things every night on my 9 day cruise.

Sounds great. The main thing that is not allowed, even on smart casual nights, is shorts. ;)

With the exception of the Star Princess where what we believed to be a contest ensued of how meagre one may dress before being refused at the door. Granted the house was a nightmare of activity (the Horizon Court must have been empty) and management had their hands full but there were those who tested the policy wearing shorts with total success. We believe Princess will regret this policy relaxation when the economic pendulum completes its current swing...

With the exception of the Star Princess where what we believed to be a contest ensued of how meagre one may dress before being refused at the door. Granted the house was a nightmare of activity (the Horizon Court must have been empty) and management had their hands full but there were those who tested the policy wearing shorts with total success. We believe Princess will regret this policy relaxation when the economic pendulum completes its current swing...

That is really a shame that some can't at least dress 'decent' (meaning no shorts) for dinner in the dining room, and that this is not being enforced on some ships, IMHO, especially with all of the alternate dining venues they offer now! :(

As has been said about the only thing not really allowed are the shorts. (but in some cases even they are overlooked). It would be unusual to see any form of clothing being turned away so you'll be safe with your polo & dockers. Even jeans are now being termed as being OK and T shirts which were once not seen at dinner are being worn.

As has been said about the only thing not really allowed are the shorts. (but in some cases even they are overlooked). It would be unusual to see any form of clothing being turned away so you'll be safe with your polo & dockers. Even jeans are now being termed as being OK and T shirts which were once not seen at dinner are being worn.

Thanks...I guess a few nice Polo type shirts will get packed up today, along with some button down dress shirts.

How is the Air Conditioning in the MRD's? Does it run on the cooler or warmer side?

Thanks...I guess a few nice Polo type shirts will get packed up today, along with some button down dress shirts.

How is the Air Conditioning in the MRD's? Does it run on the cooler or warmer side?

That all depends on the ship. It can range from stuffy to a freezer but mostly on the cooler side. If your wife, like mine, complains of always being in a draft then have her always take a sweater or pashmina (sp?)

I'm packing up for my fist ever cruise this Thursday on the Caribbean Princess and here is what I'm wondering this morning...

For Dinner in the MDR's and the Steak House I know its smart Casual, but what's acceptable and what's not?

I'm taking some nice Button Shirts and Dress Pants, but I don't want to over pack, but I would like some variety and not wear the same things every night on my 9 day cruise.

Here is Princess' dress code ...

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

It's a shame that people can't dress appropriately. Dress codes are becoming so lax in nice restaurants and even in church. There are many places where you can wear your t-shirts, jeans, shorts and sandals and a nice restaurant is not one of them:( Haven't cruised yet but I am looking forward to dressing up a bit for dinner in the MDR:)

It's a shame that people can't dress appropriately. Dress codes are becoming so lax in nice restaurants and even in church. There are many places where you can wear your t-shirts, jeans, shorts and sandals and a nice restaurant is not one of them:( Haven't cruised yet but I am looking forward to dressing up a bit for dinner in the MDR:)

You will be dressed as the majority are :D and should be very comfortable.

Polo shirt and jeans/dockers worked for me many a night. My boys got by with less, YMMV.

Of course the clothing police are out in force on all questions related to dress :eek: :D :D

You will be fine with your choices. And please don't judge all of us by the posting of a few. Most of us are happy to answer questions. Have a great cruise.

Enjoy your first cruise :). We should be a group willing to answer the questions of newbies. It depends upon the cruise. I don't wear polo shirts that often, but in warmer climates I will pack a few "Hawaiian" patterned short sleeve shirts. In cooler climates I will go with long sleeve shirts. "Dockers" style pants work fine. It can get cool in the DRs sometime and my DW usually brings a sweater just in case but I don't need anything. Note: this is for "Smart Casual" evenings.

Be sure to try the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch. Shorts and sandals are fine then if you wish, just no beach wear.

On our 15 day full transit Panama cruise two weeks ago on the Coral Princess here is what the men wore on formal nights.

Bayou & Sabatini's.. Vast majority in slacks & collared shirt, some suits, sport coats & tuxes.

Main Dining Rooms.. Mostly suits/tuxes, some sport coats with ties, sport coats no ties, long sleeved shirts with ties, long sleeved shirts no ties.

On non-formal nights signs posted saying no shorts allowed. We saw some shorts on embarkation night, fewer on last night which is expected.

This pattern was identical to our 4 cruises last year.

On our 15 day full transit Panama cruise two weeks ago on the Coral Princess here is what the men wore on formal nights.

Bayou & Sabatini's.. Vast majority in slacks & collared shirt, some suits, sport coats & tuxes.

Main Dining Rooms.. Mostly suits/tuxes, some sport coats with ties, sport coats no ties, long sleeved shirts with ties, long sleeved shirts no ties.

On non-formal nights signs posted saying no shorts allowed. We saw some shorts on embarkation night, fewer on last night which is expected.

This pattern was identical to our 4 cruises last year.

Well Larry, on our four cruises over the pastv year (not trying to one up a Californian) we only noticed one formal night that a table next to us had five guys? and one woman all dresses in open shirts. Our waiter also a guy? seemed to spend a lot of time with them holding up our dinner. I would like to think that they may havee been one of the entertainer groups?

Well Larry, on our four cruises over the pastv year (not trying to one up a Californian) we only noticed one formal night that a table next to us had five guys? and one woman all dresses in open shirts. Our waiter also a guy? seemed to spend a lot of time with them holding up our dinner. I would like to think that they may havee been one of the entertainer groups?

Have no idea what you are trying to say? :confused::confused:

Archived