porters tips

davesue123

They are indeed very quick taking the bags but if they stand still long enough we give them a few £'s.

However, on our return we usually find a porter in the baggage hall and he takes the luggage to, and loads it into the car. He gets a lot more and desreves it.

I must be missing something here, if they do something special over & above what they are supposed to do then i may give them a tip but surely they are just doing their job arent they?? I would not give a barman a tip if he poured me a pint, or a traffic warden a tip for putting a ticket on my car; at the end of the day they are getting paid for what they are employed to do. Please dont turn our country into the USA where everybody expects a tip for doing their basic job!!!:)

I must be missing something here, if they do something special over & above what they are supposed to do then i may give them a tip but surely they are just doing their job arent they?? I would not give a barman a tip if he poured me a pint, or a traffic warden a tip for putting a ticket on my car; at the end of the day they are getting paid for what they are employed to do. Please dont turn our country into the USA where everybody expects a tip for doing their basic job!!!:)

They usually lift them out of our car, which because my husband has a serious back condition saves him a lot of discomfort, so we feel they deserve a tip.

Each to their own.

We always give the porter collecting our luggage a tip because they help with the scooter and all the luggage.

However we gave a tip before I had the scooter, perhaps not as much.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I think every time we've embarked at Southampton we've had time to get the bags out of the car ourselves, and are usually starting to deal with handing over the car by the time the bags have been collected. So no, we haven't been tipping.

We arrive by Eavesway coach so don`t see the porters. They won`t like us.:eek:

When we travel by Eavesway, about 50% of the time, we tip the coach driver. He loads the luggage, and unloads it, in both directions,saving us hauling it around.

So, the cabin stewards and waiters are just doing their job? So, do you tip them, either personally or via auto gratuities?? Just interested on your take on this.

So, the cabin stewards and waiters are just doing their job? So, do you tip them, either personally or via auto gratuities?? Just interested on your take on this.

One big difference between the CPS handlers and the ship's crew members is that you have long enough to build some sort of relationship with the latter.

One big difference between the CPS handlers and the ship's crew members is that you have long enough to build some sort of relationship with the latter.

Agreed.

BUT,the porters are a godsend for some passengers, I include us in that.

I cannnot manage the luggage alone and anyone that helps make our situation easier, is worth a few £'s,tip.

You are all forgetting one thing. Your waiters are there to serve you, The porters are there to help people who ask especially getting off. You would always tip a railway porter. (I have a long memory).

You ask for help you pay.

Gan Canny

Dai

Have found the same thing as a few others on here, that by the time you stop the car, fill in the car parking form, etc, that the porters have unloaded the car, and whisked the bags away!

Even when I wasn't going with the wife on a cruise, I'd find I'd drive in, open the boot, be getting a few bags out, only for the porters to swarm in, whisk them away.

I don't think many of them look for tips, they just get on with it, but I will say that if I was in a situation where someone's gone out of their way to help us, then I would tip them.

It's funny how this discussion pops up from time to time. Remember the discussions about how much to tip porters when sailing from Miami..

ScrozUK

Agree with Tom UK comments about building up a rapport with them & as we usually travel as a four, i personally tip instead of auto. Incidentally, if my neighbour lifted my case into my car on my way to my cruise because i had a bad back i bet they would not expect a tip ( then again!!!!!)

Archived