Embarkation in Rotterdam

We will be embarking on HAL Rotterdam, in Rotterdam this September. Has anyone an expereince with embarking at this port? We are staying at the Hotel New York the days before embarkation; and are hoping for a reasonably effortless embarkation,

Marilyn

We will be embarking on HAL Rotterdam, in Rotterdam this September. Has anyone an expereince with embarking at this port? We are staying at the Hotel New York the days before embarkation; and are hoping for a reasonably effortless embarkation,

Marilyn

The hotel is right next to the cruise terminal. You cannot have it any easier.

If you have some extra time, take a water taxi from the hotel. They can take you to a lot of interesting stops in Rotterdam.

The hotel is right next to the cruise terminal. You cannot have it any easier.

If you have some extra time, take a water taxi from the hotel. They can take you to a lot of interesting stops in Rotterdam.

Thanks for the reassurances. we are in a deluxe suite for HAL and there is a priority embarkation line for this cabin class. Do you have any ideas for a day of free time before the cruise; and how the embarkation process is managed at the port,

thanks,

Marilyn

The Rotterdam terminal is quite nice with all facilities.

Since your ship is the only one in port, embarkation will be quick.

When travelling in a suite there will be priority boarding, clearly marked by signs.

For your day in Rotterdam, either visit the town - e.g. Museum Boymans van beuningen, Euromast (great view over the city), check this website for more details:

http://www.rotterdam.info/cms.php?cmspageid=12&langid=2

Or make a boattrip to the windmills of Kinderdijk:

http://www.kinderdijk.com/

Also very interesting is the small town of Delft, easy to do by train.

http://www.delft.nl/delften/Tourists

We will purchase the Holland card for seven admissions. There is a one year usage for these cards, and since we will spend four days in Amsterdam post cruise; they seem to be a good idea. Have you used this card for these excursions? The harbour cruise is one of the inlcuded attractions and we will include this on Tuesday's itinerary, since Mondays are not included in the available schedule.

Marilyn

We arriving on June 14th around 9:00 from Paris via train and are scheduled to go see the Kinderdijk windmills. The tour leaves at 10:45 and returns at 2:00. Here is the tour we are taking:

http://www.rebus-info.nl/main_en.htm

Kirk

Good choice, Kirk. The best way to see the windmills in Kinderdijk is by boat. You will be within a stone's throw of several of the mills used to pump water from the 'polders' or lowlands.

For more links and things to see and do around Rotterdam have a peek at the map at the end of the following web site page. http://www.*****.com/rotterdam.html

So if I am reading this right we could drop our luggage at the ship and then go tour Rotterdam with Lair Bears information? We are taking a taxi from Amsterdam to Rotterdam so could set our time to match our planned activities.

Are there pitfalls with this idea I am not seeing?

thanks,

Mary

That is what we are doing. We should be at the ship around 10:00 and plan on dropping our luggage off than doing the windmill tour returning around 2:30. We will not actually check-in until our return.

We are doing a B2B so we also plan on doing Lair Bear's walk on turn around day.

Kirk

So if I am reading this right we could drop our luggage at the ship and then go tour Rotterdam with Lair Bears information? We are taking a taxi from Amsterdam to Rotterdam so could set our time to match our planned activities.

Are there pitfalls with this idea I am not seeing?

thanks,

Mary

We are still trying to determine how we will travel between Schipol and Rotterdam. I see that you have chosen to use a taxi service. which company, fare, etc.?

thanks,

Marilyn

That is what we are doing. We should be at the ship around 10:00 and plan on dropping our luggage off than doing the windmill tour . . .

Kirk

Kirk, if you arrive that early at the cruise terminal you might not be able to drop off your luggage. As you know to disembark takes a while in the morning and the crew is usually not ready to accept new luggage until later.

What you might do is to have the taxi take you to the New York Hotel which is right next door to the cruise terminal. Have the concierge store your luggage for a few dollars until you get back from your Kinderdijk trip. You could even take a water taxi from the New York Hotel to the "Boompjes'. That is the cay where the tour boat docks.

"We are still trying to determine how we will travel between Schipol and Rotterdam. I see that you have chosen to use a taxi service. which company, fare, etc.?

thanks,"

We are using the Dutchtraveladvisor.com

mailto:info@thedutchtraveladvisor.com

They are picking us up at the airport in Amsterdam and then a few days later taking us over to Rotterdam. They have lots of other options available also. Fast email response and the prices appear reasonable. I am happy we found the reference to them on the board. Edwin is easy to work with for ideas.

Mary

Kirk, if you arrive that early at the cruise terminal you might not be able to drop off your luggage. As you know to disembark takes a while in the morning and the crew is usually not ready to accept new luggage until later.

What you might do is to have the taxi take you to the New York Hotel which is right next door to the cruise terminal. Have the concierge store your luggage for a few dollars until you get back from your Kinderdijk trip. You could even take a water taxi from the New York Hotel to the "Boompjes'. That is the cay where the tour boat docks.

I have been worried about that but hoped by 10:00 they would take it. The New Yorker is a good idea. I also can pickup a Rotterdam Card for the turn around day.

Thanks!

Kirk

Edited by KirkNC

"We are still trying to determine how we will travel between Schipol and Rotterdam. I see that you have chosen to use a taxi service. which company, fare, etc.?

thanks,"

They are picking us up at the airport in Amsterdam and then a few days later taking us over to Rotterdam. They have lots of other options available also. Fast email response and the prices appear reasonable. I am happy we found the reference to them on the board. Edwin is easy to work with for ideas.

Mary

Edwin has responded very quickly, and with great prices as compared to other operators. We will take the kinderdijk tour on Tuesday morning, and will take the Rotterdam walking tour in the afternoon..

Marilyn

• 1 month later...
I have been worried about that but hoped by 10:00 they would take it. The New Yorker is a good idea. I also can pickup a Rotterdam Card for the turn around day.

Thanks!

Kirk

Just to close this up, we were pleased when we arrived at 9:30 that HAL had a little area were we could drop off our luggage which was great! Kudos to HAL. The windmills were great!

Kirk

• 3 years later...

thanks,"

Mary

Mary,

Was there a deposit or pre-payment required with the Dutchtraveladvisor? If so, could you share whether this was a percent of fee or full amount?

Thank you.

Mary,

Was there a deposit or pre-payment required with the Dutchtraveladvisor? If so, could you share whether this was a percent of fee or full amount?

Thank you.

you better contact him yourself since these postings above are about 3 years old.