Story about Jean Ann Ryan

mikewrit

I've googled and binged and waded around the NCL site looking for more of the story about the JAR's parting of the ways with Norwegian Cruise Line. For awhile the entertainment company was a highly touted aspect of NCL cruises, then it began to fade away and now, evidently, is all but gone from the line. Does anyone have a pointer to a more complete, authoritative account?:confused:

Could it be related to retirement? I remember when I started cruising on NCL in 1983 Jean Ann Ryan was featured among the entertainment. I think she was a dancer and/or choreographer. The shows on NCL were very good.

When we took the behind the scenes tour, the production manager for the shows indicated that NCL decided they could do it better themselves for less money. They hired their own people to take over production of the shows. Even what seems like a simple show to us apparently costs an ungodly amount of money to stage, between the backgrounds, lighting, music, costumes, rehearsals, staff, talent, etc.

When we took the behind the scenes tour, the production manager for the shows indicated that NCL decided they could do it better themselves for less money. They hired their own people to take over production of the shows. Even what seems like a simple show to us apparently costs an ungodly amount of money to stage, between the backgrounds, lighting, music, costumes, rehearsals, staff, talent, etc.

NCL Productions are on all the ships now I believe.

It is very expensive to produce a show. There are a lot of expenses to cover and rights to purchase. NCL did purchase some shows from Jean Ann and are casting the shows themselves now. The shows seem to be doing well from what I hear.

Last year on the Jewel the shows were still JAR and we had the opportunity to talk to a few of the dancers and crew. It was obvious to them that NCL was going to begin doing their own thing, they even mentioned how NCL launched the EPIC without any JAR productions even though the company was on the other ships at the time.

There was quite a difference between the shows on the Jewel last May and those we saw this past March. I found the quality was greatly diminished, with the singers being the worst of all. To my eyes and ears while the dancing was somewhat enjoyable, the shows seemed cheesy and it was actually painful at times to listen to the singing. I do realize, of course, that others will have a different opinion based on their personal likes and dislikes, but I do wish that JAR productions would make a comeback!

By the way, JAR is a huge company that provides all kinds of shows in all kinds of venue including several cruise lines. Based in Fort Lauderdale with a branch in Malibu. The company website does not reveal whether Jean Ann Ryan herself is still active.

No doubt they are doing cheaper. It 'shows'.

Great topic. JAR is what I felt made NCL superior over the other lines in entertainment. It is too bad they have strayed from their roots (starting with the Norway) that made them unique to save some $. It was obvious back in 2003 on the Majesty that JAR was no longer involved in their productions. Paramount Productions took over on the Majesty from what I recall. It was just not up to the quality we were used to on past NCL cruises. It seems like anything on NCL 'since Freestyle' is expendable unless it generates onboard revenue.

The show quality has definitely gone down hill in my opinion. I was on the Dawn at the end of April and just couldn't sit through the production shows. I find it very sad, as the shows have always been something I really enjoyed on NCL ships. I quess in the scheme of competition and keeping the cruise price low, NCL decided that show costs could be cut. I will go see future shows on my NCL cruises, but if the production shows are of the poor quality as they were on this last Dawn cruise, I will just walk out again and enjoy all the other aspects of the wonderful cruise experience.

I must admit, I loved the shows on the EPIC, but then again many of them are not NCL productions. Their quality is excellent.

Just my opinions!

By the way, JAR is a huge company that provides all kinds of shows in all kinds of venue including several cruise lines. Based in Fort Lauderdale with a branch in Malibu. The company website does not reveal whether Jean Ann Ryan herself is still active.

Jean Ann is still very active in her company. When JAR was still on NCL, she regularly came to the different ships and spent time on board.

Archived