Disney version of "Cruise Casual"

hexdragon

What exactly is "Cruise Casual" for Disney in Alaska? I'm a tee and jeans kind of guy. I was refused seating in a restaurant on NCL POA in Hawaii for not meeting the dress code...

Once bitten, twice shy....

• Administrators
What exactly is "Cruise Casual" for Disney in Alaska? I'm a tee and jeans kind of guy. I was refused seating in a restaurant on NCL POA in Hawaii for not meeting the dress code...

Once bitten, twice shy....

During our 3 night cruise we only had a dress up night and two cruise casual. I wore a sundress one night - but a very casual one. My husband wore khakis and a polo shirt. On dress up night I wore a cocktail dress and my husband worse slacks and a button shirt - no tie/jacket.

On said dress up night the "gentleman" at the table next to us was in a t-shirt and jeans and was wearing a visor. Many others at his table were dressed the same way. :D

I don't think you will be refused from any of the main dining rooms unless you are in swimwear or something else totally off the wall. You may be refused from Palo/Remy if not appropriately dressed.

Here are Disney's suggestions taken from their FAQ's

Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

On 3-night cruises:

• One cruise casual night—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
  • One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:

• First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
  • Final night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

• Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

Dress for dinner at Palo on all cruises:

• Men: dress shirt or jacket, no shorts
  • Women: dress or pantsuit

For cruises that request formalwear attire, Guests can pre-order tailored formalwear rentals and have it delivered directly to their staterooms upon arrival.

I just got home from a trip to Alaksa on the Wonder. 5 of the 7 nights are cruise casual and they allowed us to wear jeans. Just no shorts, cut offs, swim suits or flip flops - not a problem for Alaska anyway! For the 2 semi-formal nights, they allowed women to wear nice slacks and men khaki's... no dresses or suits required - Yeah!

I am so glad the loosened up on these dress codes! Sounds like you'll be happy too!

On 7-night cruises:

• Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

They did not require any tuxedo's, suits or gowns/dresses on our cruise 3 weeks ago. We didn't see anyone in them either! Yeah!

It should be casual it's a Disney cruise, if people want to dress up that's what remy and palo is for my DD may love the idea of getting in a fancy dress but I'm dreading it cause my DH and I need to pretty much buy 3 new outfits for our 4 night cruise and I've already spent enough on this vacation. Even then we won't be fancy just dress pants(slacks) and polo shirts

We only have experience with Holland America and Disney. Even though the dress codes (as written on their website) are very similar, people were a lot more dressy on Holland America. We dressed up for formal night on the Disney cruise and we felt overdressed.

Thanks, i wasn't too worried. It's just that we are going to Palo for a dinner and a brunch. Maybe I'll bring my Hawaiian Shirt and throw them for a loop (It has a collar...) :)

Yes! that would be so cool...

I am hoping we get brunch too! On the last day. And am going to have Dad wear his "fancy" Aloha Shirt....Reyns or something similar. He doesn't do jackets or dress shirts. (Only junk thing was when I called DCL and asked about the Aloha Shirt for dinner the castmember said probably not should be dress shirt). But if you are gonna chance it....:D

He will definitely be wearing his Aloha shirts on formal/semi in the Restaurants.

We only have experience with Holland America and Disney. Even though the dress codes (as written on their website) are very similar, people were a lot more dressy on Holland America. We dressed up for formal night on the Disney cruise and we felt overdressed.

Panama on Princess was also more dressy ~ could be cuz there are more families on Disney? I don't mind a little dress up but the super formals?!?....we don't do that too much except at prom (ha ha)....it was cute to see all the couples doing their formal pictures and there were many. I was the one who felt out of place!

Thanks, i wasn't too worried. It's just that we are going to Palo for a dinner and a brunch. Maybe I'll bring my Hawaiian Shirt and throw them for a loop (It has a collar...) :)

They ask for a dress shirt, they mean a dress shirt. We saw people turned away from Palo for not meeting the dress code.

It should be casual it's a Disney cruise, if people want to dress up that's what remy and palo is for my DD may love the idea of getting in a fancy dress but I'm dreading it cause my DH and I need to pretty much buy 3 new outfits for our 4 night cruise and I've already spent enough on this vacation. Even then we won't be fancy just dress pants(slacks) and polo shirts

Why? Wear the same thing each night. You won't be seated in Remy or Palo in a polo, that's why they say dress shirt. In fact I think Remy requires a jacket although you might get away with a dress shirt and tie.

For you, black dressy slacks or skirt and one or two dressy tops--my guess is that you've already got something that will work in your closet.

For him, dark dress slacks, white dress shirt, tie. If you are worried about it, pick up two dress shirts--Penney's often has a BOGO deal on them.

On our next DCL cruise we plan on Remy and Palo, but if we weren't planning on those my husband would bring one pair of chino's and two polo's and one pair of loafers. No reason to bring along a complete wardrobe change for dinner every night--no one will notice if you repeat something. Even with dining at both, my husband will bring one suit for both nights.

We're going on a two week European cruise next year and I'm bringing a black skirt and black dressy pants and a handful of tops and one pair of black heels and that's it for dinner for 14 nights. Don't go crazy, just stop and think about it.

We are not going to palo or remys, but I don't want to wear the same thing everyday I want to try a little lol it's mostly about my DD she's very excited for us to get decked out she's only seen us dressed up at a wedding, I actually found two really nice dresses last night 25$

Each on clearance great sale! Now just get hubby dressed. Plus I agree with others it will make great pictures

We are not going to palo or remys, but I don't want to wear the same thing everyday I want to try a little lol it's mostly about my DD she's very excited for us to get decked out she's only seen us dressed up at a wedding, I actually found two really nice dresses last night 25$

Each on clearance great sale! Now just get hubby dressed. Plus I agree with others it will make great pictures

My point is that you don't have to, you are choosing to do so. Because it's your choice, I'm not sure why you are complaining about the cost. It just seems contradictory and curious to me, that's all.

Congrats on getting great deals though--one of my favorite formals came off a sale rack--I think I paid $19 for it!

I wasn't complaining I just said I had already spent enough on the trip. I don't really think it's a choice to have to wear nicer clothes they don't want me in jeans and shorts because that's all I have so I feel obligated to buy a few dresses or slacks whatever. I would feel out of place wearing beach attire I'd rather spend the money then offend someone or feel self conscience

I wasn't complaining I just said I had already spent enough on the trip. I don't really think it's a choice to have to wear nicer clothes they don't want me in jeans and shorts because that's all I have so I feel obligated to buy a few dresses or slacks whatever. I would feel out of place wearing beach attire I'd rather spend the money then offend someone or feel self conscience

I guess I'm just confused then. Why would you book a cruise where you needed to buy clothing as a result instead of just taking a different type of vacation? Not trying to be rude, just curious.

My husband and I will never cruise Crystal because of the number of formal nights they have. While we enjoy dressing up a bit for dinner, having to wear formal attire (tux and gown) that many times on a single cruise is a turn off to us.

PS-If you only have jeans and shorts, what do you wear to weddings and funerals?

I guess I'm just confused then. Why would you book a cruise where you needed to buy clothing as a result instead of just taking a different type of vacation? Not trying to be rude, just curious.

My husband and I will never cruise Crystal because of the number of formal nights they have. While we enjoy dressing up a bit for dinner, having to wear formal attire (tux and gown) that many times on a single cruise is a turn off to us.

PS-If you only have jeans and shorts, what do you wear to weddings and funerals?

I think my name says it all as to why we chose to cruise with Disney, and Weddings and Funerals I have one formal dress I wear to weddings (which will be our one super formal dinner on a 4 night cruise), and funerals I use to wear a pant suit (which I don't even fit in anymore).

I think my name says it all as to why we chose to cruise with Disney, and Weddings and Funerals I have one formal dress I wear to weddings (which will be our one super formal dinner on a 4 night cruise), and funerals I use to wear a pant suit (which I don't even fit in anymore).

Well then you'll be all set for your next DCL cruises :-)

On said dress up night the "gentleman" at the table next to us was in a t-shirt and jeans and was wearing a visor. Many others at his table were dressed the same way. :D

We've seen that happen on Celebrity, Norwegian and Holland America as well on "formal" night. I would venture to say it happens on all the mass-market cruiselines (dress code variations - not following stated dress code). :(

casual as listed is ok... esp when we came back from port and had early dinner sitting for child in tow with us... came up ramp and straight to dinner a few times.. it may also be a hassle to get back to room to get changed for dinner wear depending on ur room location. we did not participate in formal night , though we did see suits and dresses / even a japanese kimono or two! for flight travelers also again u are limited to weight/baggage restrictions so y bother bringing formal wear unless u really want to . self and dryclean laundry services is avail onboard; as we did a few loads on deck 2. :)

casual as listed is ok... esp when we came back from port and had early dinner sitting for child in tow with us... came up ramp and straight to dinner a few times.. it may also be a hassle to get back to room to get changed for dinner wear depending on ur room location. we did not participate in formal night , though we did see suits and dresses / even a japanese kimono or two! for flight travelers also again u are limited to weight/baggage restrictions so y bother bringing formal wear unless u really want to . self and dryclean laundry services is avail onboard; as we did a few loads on deck 2. :)

Oh so true! On past cruises, we had to factor time in for changing clothes etc. It is nice just boarding the boat, dropping off any bags you need to and heading to dinner! I am so glad they are relaxing the dress code.

• 4 weeks later...

For those who have been on Wonder Alaska, can you advise how many nights of each attire? ie, how many casual, how many formal nights etc. Also, which night(s) are formal night(s) if you can recall.

So how strict is Disney about the "no flip flops" rule? I mean, I understand not wanting people to wear the cheap beach flip flops, but right now "blingy" flip flops are the style, especially with young people. "Blingy" flip flops are even worn at proms and weddings now! Are those allowed? They are basically like fancy sandals. I just came back form a Carnival cruise, and they also say "no flip flops", but all of us women were wearing our "blingy" flip flops without a problem.

Archived