Taormina Transportation

cruiserjcp

:)Can anyone tell me about transportation from ship to Taormina? This is one port that we are not paying for a tour. Is there anything we should not miss seeing while we are in port?

50%20-%20Greek%20Theatre%20-%20Taormina%20-%2002%20oct%202007.jpg

Everyone will send you to the Greek Theatre, which is spectacular, but for us the Villa Comunale was the highlight

55%20-%20Parco%20Duca%20di%20Cesaro

An Oasis of cool relaxation, with gorgeous views.

There was a shuttle from the ship up to the town, I think, but we couldn't be bothered waiting for it.

We split a cab and I believe that the round trip cost us about 20 Euros per couple (we paid up and they paid down)

We just returned from there and we shared a cab (trust me there are several waiting for you) with 2 other couples (strangers) so each couple paid 10 euros. The taxi driver drove very fast up those turns and at the top turned to us, grinned and, while pointing to his chest, said "Michael Shumacher!" My husband and I watch Formula 1 races so we thought that was pretty funny! Coming back we spent 25 euros as we didn't want to wait around for someone else from the ship to appear. The theatre was, as JimandStan said, amazing and for us the 3rd time was the charm as Mt Etna was out in all her glory and the theatre had blooming bougainville so it was a perfect day. Shopping for ceramics was nice too! Had lunch in a little place down one of the side streets (4 tables outside) so it was a great day. No need for any tours for this port just meander. c

We will be there in November (Athens to Rome). Any guesses as to weather then? Also, I do want to see Mt Etna and other "must sees" since this is our first time there. Any recommendations for the ship's tours? Or better to do on own?

Some places are great for tours, ships' or private, but Taormina is definitely a DIY. Mt Etna isn't always visible. I spoke with a woman who took Insigna's tour to Mt. Etna and they couldn't see anything but we at the Theatre had a great view. Go figure!

50%20-%20Greek%20Theatre%20-%20Taormina%20-%2002%20oct%202007.jpg

Everyone will send you to the Greek Theatre, which is spectacular, but for us the Villa Comunale was the highlight]

Is Villa Communale within walking distance of the shopping area in Taormina?

Is Villa Communale within walking distance of the shopping area in Taormina?

Yes, as a matter of fact it is.

You'll find the best shopping (or at least the most shops) on the Via Bagnole, which is about one block from the Villa Communale.

003713.jpg

As an aside, where the Sant' Agostino meets the Via Bagnoli, there is a charming little outdoor restaurant where you can gloat over your treasures.

It has a stunning view of the ship at anchor, and they are very good about keeping the Prosecco well iced.

Killer Caprese salad, too ;)

Don't ask me what the name is, I'm not even sure that there was a sign. Just look for the green and white striped awning.

014438.jpg

Believe it, or not, this photo was taken looking AWAY from the view.....Taormina floats on clouds of Bougainvillea

JimandStan;

"As an aside, where the Sant' Agostino meets the Via Bagnoli, there is a charming little outdoor restaurant where you can gloat over your treasures. It has a stunning view of the ship at anchor, and they are very good about keeping the Prosecco well icedKiller Caprese salad, too ;)

Don't ask me what the name is, I'm not even sure that there was a sign. Just look for the green and white striped awning."

If you wake up in the middle of the night and remember the name of the restaurant, please let me know. Sounds wonderful!

Some places are great for tours, ships' or private, but Taormina is definitely a DIY. Mt Etna isn't always visible. I spoke with a woman who took Insigna's tour to Mt. Etna and they couldn't see anything but we at the Theatre had a great view. Go figure!

When we came into Taormina we had this great view of Mt Etna, when we left it was obscured by clouds

2142220810039137776S500x500Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of Taxi's when you get off the ship. We had hired a taxi service that met us and the driver took us all over. Went to Mt. Etna, which was spectacular, but take a jacket because it is very cold and windy on the mountain. Also went to the Greek Theatre which had beautiful views. If there are 4 of you, the taxi/tours are not that expensive. Loved this port.

Do Mount Etna in the morning as it tends to cloud in later in the day. The views were spectacular and we enjoyed hiking up and walking around the crater. Make sure you bring really good walking shoes as you can slip quite easily. There was one lady wearing high heels and she fell quite a bit.

Archived