Advice please - how to take a gift of liquor

cruisestitch

Have just heard from friends I will be visiting after a cruise that they would like me to bring a bottle of Templeton's Rye with me, as it is not something they can get. I don't want to take any chance that it would be confiscated and destroyed -- what I would like to do is "check" it, so to speak, when I get on board and retrieve it before disembarkation. Any ideas if this would work?

I'm sure they would accommodate this if you are upfront about it. I would have it in your hand luggage and mention it when you check in. Don't put it in your checked baggage as it could be confiscated.

Having said the above, I haven't personally done this ... perhaps others have.

We have never taken liquor on at embarkation that was intended for after the cruise, but have often bought bottles of liquor at various ports of call. The ship usually has tables set up where you can "check" your liquor, and it will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Although, sometimes they just waive you through and don't make you check it at all.

As the previous poster said, as long as you are up front about having the liquor in your possession they will happily check it for you until the last day.

How do you plan to take it on the plane? Or are you driving right to and from the port. We bought a bottle of liquor in St. Martins as a gift and had to pack it in a suitcase for the flight home. I was very concerned it would break in the suitcase somewhere on the way home. It survived luckily. The guy in the liquor store on the ship said that the TSA requirements have killed his business.

No plane trip involved in this particular case. But I have often used the special inflatable protectors, and also the foam ones, when carrying liquids in my suitcase. They take up quite a bit of room, but once the drink is consumed, that makes more room for gifts bought along the way....

Have just heard from friends I will be visiting after a cruise that they would like me to bring a bottle of Templeton's Rye with me, as it is not something they can get. I don't want to take any chance that it would be confiscated and destroyed -- what I would like to do is "check" it, so to speak, when I get on board and retrieve it before disembarkation. Any ideas if this would work?

When we boarded the Millenium April 18th there was a notice that all alcohol except the allowed two bottles of wine per cabin would be confiscated and not returned. Only alcohol bought in ports of call would be held for you until debarkation. Other posters have mentioned this on their cruises also. Better call Celebrity!

Richard

Since recent experiences indicate that liquor is being taken and not returned, I'd email Celebrity and ask them about it for your specific cruise. Hopefully you are a prior cruiser so you can email Captains Club since they are better about responding. Then if they said this can be done I'd bring the email with me and carry both on board in my carry-on.

Archived