Celebrity Eclipse Western Med Excusions 4/6

jenpet

We are cruising on the Eclipse on the 4th June & have looked at the excursions. We cannot find anything that sounds suitable + the prices are very high.

We have been told we can get a train in Rome, so that has been covered. What about the other ports, can we get on transfer buses that will take to the centre of where we dock, or are these not available at every port?

Many thanks

jenpet

We are cruising on the Eclipse on the 4th June & have looked at the excursions. We cannot find anything that sounds suitable + the prices are very high.

We have been told we can get a train in Rome, so that has been covered. What about the other ports, can we get on transfer buses that will take to the centre of where we dock, or are these not available at every port?

Many thanks

jenpet

Not at every port - in fact not at most ports, depending of course on your particular itinerary.

I'd take a look at the port of call forums to read through postings specifically about each particular port. You'll get a lot more detailed information there than on this fourm. Look here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

In Gibraltor you can walk into the town, approx 15 minutes steady, flat walk. In Toulon Celebrity put on a coach from the dock which I think was approx 11 dollars each last year. However you can walk off the ship and follow a footpath to a water bus which can be seen from the ship. This cost approx 6 euros last year and takes you into Toulon town centre. The port for Florence is Livorno. When we have been here in the past there are two places the ship can dock. One is virtually in the town centre, the other is in the dock area where there is usually a coach which will take you to a central drop off point in the town centre. From here if you cross the road there is a tobaco shop which sells train/bus tickets. If you ask in here they will sell you two bus tickets to the train station and your train tickets and give you instructions. From here just go round the corner and there is a large bus terminus, the train station is about ten minutes journey by bus. It is quite easy to find your train in the station but remember for both bus and train to get your ticket stamped in the yellow ticket machines before getting on the transport. The train station in Florence is fairly central and within easy walking distance of the main attractions. For Rome again the ship docks in an industrial port. We have always used the ships Rome on Your Own tours but I think that the train station is fairly easy to find and I understand a lot cheaper. For Sardinia I am not sure as we haven't been here but I think the ship docks within walking distance of the town. For Seville you dock in Cadiz and you are virtually in the town centre of Cadiz and also within easy walking distance of the train station. In Lisbon, again there are two places which the ship may dock, but here there is usually a shuttle bus or taxis waiting at the dock. In Vigo again you are docked virtually in the town centre and therefore can walk off the ship if not taking a tour. The tour to the vineyards is quite a nice tour in Vigo. Hope this is of some help to you. It is worth remembering that if you are delayed on public transport the ship does not wait, however they will always wait for their own tours. We have been delayed on ship's tours in the past and it is comforting to know that the ship wont sail without you!

We have been told we can get a train in Rome, so that has been covered. ?

Many thanks

jenpet

I thought I would share some information about the train to Rome that has come to light on our roll call for our Eclipse cruise in July.

Hello John,

Well, Its now time to plan what to do in port.

Last time in Civitavecchia we took the intercity train to Rome.

We were able to pre book tickets on line and therefore avoid the scrum that was the train station booking hall - many people queued for two hours before giving up and never got to Rome :mad:

Now it seems that that train (07.52 hrs) only runs on Sunday so we have decided to join the tour that you found. We have booked in the first van.

Derek

You can find out how many ships are in port on www.cruisetimetables.com this affects those of us who want to do independent tours or travel as it greatly increases the no of tourists wanting to do the same thing!!

InJuly for us in most ports there will not be a problem but in a couple there might be.

Livorno, there will be us and P&O Ventura, approx 6000 pass

Rome, There is a couple of smaller ships, and P&O Ventura, P&O Aurora, MS Noordam and us which at a rough estimate I think means at least about 12,000 pass all wanting to go to Rome!! now i know they will not all want to travel independently but it does make you think doesn't it.

Here is another post which may be relevant

Hi Volsy

Just a small warning,

The Noordam (Holland America) is having a passenger change in Citivecchia the morning we will be there so be prepared for the station and booking office to be busy with people making their own way to the airport with luggage. :mad:

When we were there in 2009 an Ocean Village ship was in and some of OUR passengers never got to Rome because they spent so long in the station trying to buy tickets (over 2 hours).

We were OK because we had prebooked on line for the intercity express, but there are not so many trains on a Saturday, the first is at 09.17.

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html for timetables and prices.

Regards

Derek

Here is a link to the thread about the train.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1311672

Many thanks

jenpet

jenpet,

We are on your cruise. If you come over to the Roll Call you will find we are in a group with tours booked in Rome and Pisa / Florence. Currently several spots remain on the tours. Both tours are with Rome in Limo. Our group is now big enough that the cost per person is much lower than the ship's tour and is expected to be much better.

Jim

Archived