Four cruise days in Croatia - what to do with bonus day in Split and Dubrovnik?

We're doing a back-to-back that has repeat stops in Dubrovnik and Split plus one day in Kotor.

In Dubrovnik, we'll be the only ship in port one day, so will definitely spend the whole day in the city. We then have another stop a few days later, this one a long day from 8 am to 11 pm. I'd like to explore another area that day, then spend some evening time in town.

We have two days in Split, one from 7 am to 2 pm, the other from noon to 7 pm.

I just downloaded Rick Steve's book for further research, but CC members are so full of information!

At first blush, I'm interested in Mostar, Hvar and Korcula, but am definitely open to suggestions. It looks like Mostar may be best approached from Dubrovnik and Hvar and/or Korcula from Split, but it's hard for me to determine.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

I would not bother with Mostar. Uninteresting drive and not all that much to see. I would consider either renting a car and driving down to Kotor or taking the ferry to Korcula. We spent a few days in Dubrovinik and a few days in Korcula. We have not been to Hvar so I cannot comment. We rented a car in Dubrovnik for the Sixt location at the Hilton Hotel just outside the gates. We drove to Mostar one day and Kotor the second. Kotor was much, much better and in hindsight we would not have gone to Mostar (notwithstanding what Rick Steves has to say about it).

• 2 weeks later...

MarleneAm- Would you mind telling me what you liked about Trogir?

My mom and I will be there in August are are trying to get an idea of the area. Where would you have the taxi/bus drop you off? How much walking are we talking about, and how long would would you say it takes to see the town?

Also, we are going to be docked for 7 hours. Would you plan to do something else as well?

Thank you.

Indigosails- What did you do on Hvar Island? How long would you say a day trip there would take?

Thanks.

MarleneAm- Would you mind telling me what you liked about Trogir?

Trogir is a small walkable gem of a medieval island town. It has very old churches and other buildings, some from 1100 or earlier. There are very beautiful views of the mainland and the larger island to which is it connected by bridge as you walk around the island in the promenade that used to be the walls of the town.Some of the wall and the gates are still there.The doors of the cathedral St Lawrence are the master work of medieval Croatian sculpture. Trogir has a very pleasant atmosphere. There were many cafes to sit in and some nice restaurants.Since we were anchored outside of Trogir, I don't know how to get there from Split other than bus or taxi.

Archived