Do Any of the email fron online TA deals work?

I got another one of those enticing emails this morning. This one was for a cruise we really wanted to do. I called the number immediately and was told that that cabin category was sold out. I could have the price if I did "guaranty".

DH has mobility issues and we can't be too far from the elevator, so cabin location is important. I declined the offer.

This is not the first time I've answered one of those emails from on-line TAs only to be told that the cabins advertised are not available. Sometimes the time stamp on the email and my call are less than 30 minutes apart.

Am I wrong to think that these are bait and switch?

Has anyone gotten one of the "advertised" fantastic deals via an email from an online TA?

Yes, I took advantage of one during my last cruise. The trick I used is to use a TA with an online booking system. So once that e-mail comes in, even at 10 pm at night, I can see the specific rooms available and book it. Then I called in to apply all special offers to my booking.

Got a hump ocean view balcony this way. That hump cabin went away for a day or so but I just kept checking and it popped back up!

On my next cruise the best deal was for a guaranty so I booked it via phone. She pulled it from "inventory" when I called in to hold it for me while releasing the an earlier sailing's cruise reservation as I was moving out my sail date. I have ample time to see if prices drop, same category cabins open up, etc to get the cabin fit for us. I also use another site to watch the fares and to see if that category opens up. Not sure CC would allow me to post the name but if you google around for "cruise price alert" you can find something similar.

Yes, I took advantage of one during my last cruise. The trick I used is to use a TA with an online booking system. So once that e-mail comes in, even at 10 pm at night, I can see the specific rooms available and book it. Then I called in to apply all special offers to my booking.

Got a hump ocean view balcony this way. That hump cabin went away for a day or so but I just kept checking and it popped back up!

On my next cruise the best deal was for a guaranty so I booked it via phone. She pulled it from "inventory" when I called in to hold it for me while releasing the an earlier sailing's cruise reservation as I was moving out my sail date. I have ample time to see if prices drop, same category cabins open up, etc to get the cabin fit for us. I also use another site to watch the fares and to see if that category opens up. Not sure CC would allow me to post the name but if you google around for "cruise price alert" you can find something similar.

Thanks for the tips.

I use a price alert site, myself and it just saved me $400 on my 2012 cruise.

Thanks for the tips.

I use a price alert site, myself and it just saved me $400 on my 2012 cruise.

What does the price alert site do? Do you put in what and when you are interested and it lets you know the price on an ongoing bases? Or just emails you when there is a drop? Do tell... :D

What does the price alert site do? Do you put in what and when you are interested and it lets you know the price on an ongoing bases? Or just emails you when there is a drop? Do tell... :D

The one I used just sent me an email when the price dropped.

I do monitor my cruise prices every day when I can, but I was traveling when the email from the monitoring company came. I called and got the drop.

Archived