50th Wedding Anniversary-

WisconsinFan

I am looking for some ideas/thoughts on a way to say Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary to my folks while on the Oosterdam in a few short weeks. Not only is it their anniversary, they are taking us kids and grand kids along. We would like to thank them for this adventure and I am a little stuck.

For those of you who have celebrated a 50th, what were your favorite things from your kids/grand kids? If you haven't reached this milestone yet, but have helped others celebrate, what kind of gifts have you done?

We will be married 40 years this weekend but we did the renewal of the vows on our 38th. It was an unexpected surprise for my wife. She loved it and they did a wonderful job, everything was great. That would really be wonderful with all the family around. Now one word of warning, not everyone likes surprises :eek: but you know your family better than anyone.

If you search on the "Alaska" forum, there are posts from last year about a couple who did a private picnic on a remote island (along with the operator's name -- sorry I don't have time to track it down for you right now) -- outside of Juneau IIRC.

I love the idea of the vow renewal, too!

Renewal of the Vows sounds wonderful -- it also includes a dinner at the Pinnacle -- so you are also going to have to make certain that everyone is booked for dinner that evening.

Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 for help on all this.

However they don't tell you the day it is going to take place until you are on the ship as it is up to the Captain and his schedule. If you are a large party, you may want to book the Pinacle first even if it is not the evening of the renewal or you may not get a reservation. Wish they would tell you, it would make planning so much easier.

Our renewal of vows on a 10 day cruise was on the 2nd formal night this may give you some idea of when it would be. The formal nights were on sea days. But not sure if this would apply to Alaska as these cruises are port intensive.

I surprised a couple for their 25th. I found photos of their wedding cake and had a cake topper made to look just like the one they had. Or you could buy one just for 50th from a wedding/party store and have it placed on a small single layer ordered from the galley just for them.

If they do not already have a digital photo frame you could place all the pictures of this trip on it when you get home and then hook it up as a surprise. I love looking at my photos from trips!

Enjoy your cruise!

Lin

Archived